Nutrition Book?

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
LoveActually
Family Elder

Nutrition Book?

Post by LoveActually »

Does anyone know of any good nutrition books? I'm interested in learning about the positive and negative effects of certain foods, supplements and anything else we put in our bodies. One single book (hopefully) full of all the information a person needs to make an educated choice in their health.

I want to understand what each vitamin does and what gluten, sugars and all that other stuff does to our body (other than the obvious). I'm not looking for a food only book or a vitamin only book, something well rounded. My mom always says I want things that don't exist. I hope that's not the case here.

Thanks in advance for your help.
October 29, 2009 - Dx with RRMS
June 22, 2010 - Dx's changed to Devic's (NMO)
January 4, 2011 - Dx w/Syringomyelia T4-T9, Migraines, and Possible MS (again - long story)
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Nutrition Book?

Post by NHE »

LoveActually wrote:Does anyone know of any good nutrition books? I'm interested in learning about the positive and negative effects of certain foods, supplements and anything else we put in our bodies. One single book (hopefully) full of all the information a person needs to make an educated choice in their health.

I want to understand what each vitamin does and what gluten, sugars and all that other stuff does to our body (other than the obvious). I'm not looking for a food only book or a vitamin only book, something well rounded. My mom always says I want things that don't exist. I hope that's not the case here.

Thanks in advance for your help.
I think that you're looking to fill a bookcase, not just one book. The book you seek may exist, if fact I once came across a textbook on the biochemistry of vitamins, but the subject is so broad I don't think that just one book could cover it all.

I can, however, make a recommendation for a good starter book on fats and oils. Check out "Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill" by Udo Erasmus. It's his PhD in nutrition translated into text that anyone can read.

NHE
JennInNY
Getting to Know You...

Det books

Post by JennInNY »

Have you looked at anything by Dr. Andrew Weill? I consulted with my nutritionist yesterday and she printed out his "anti-inflammatory" food pyramid. I know he's had a lot of books out about diet and the affects of certain foods - perhaps you could check a couple of books out at your local library and see if that is what you are looking for before investing $$ into a book that you decide later isn't exactly what you want.

I'm going through the same right now, so I will post if I come across anything in my travels that seems to fit the bill.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i <3 udo.

i just actually found weil's pyramid today - looks like a simpler approach than my usual resource nutritiondata.com, but also much less detailed info.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/ecs/pyramid/p ... ramid.html

you might enjoy the head to toe wellness guide also

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART03053/He ... -Weil.html

although i think there is some info missing. for example under vision health, category supplements, he mentions vitamins A, C, zinc and pycnogenol ... but not lutein or zeaxanthin. in the food section he does link the nutrients to the supplements, and there he does pick up on the lutein. it's misleading however, as berries (while very healthy for you) are not excellent sources of zinc.

i like the detail you can get from nutritiondata. the problem is, it doesn't tell you about supplementing.

i'll get writing LA.. i'm unemployed at the moment anyway LOL
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
LoveActually
Family Elder

Post by LoveActually »

Thank you all! Great Info!

JL - As I was reading your post I was thinking, "She just needs to unload that wealth of knowledge onto some paper and share it with all of us." LOL!

Thanks again everyone!
January 4, 2011 - Dx w/Syringomyelia T4-T9, Migraines, and Possible MS (again - long story)
jackD
Family Elder

The Best of the BEST!!!

Post by jackD »

http://www.amazon.com/Staying-Healthy-N ... 1587611791

I will let the reviewers do the talking.

Check out the NEW Vitamin "L".

jackD

p.s I have given this to my best friends as a Christmas gift. I forget what vitamin "U" is for. His presentation on fats and oils is awesome. I might buy another copy - my neighbor has had mine for the last 6 months. I guess it will be Christmas in July for him.

I
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Nutrition Book?

Post by NHE »

Jack,
Thanks for the recommendation. I found a copy at my local library.

NHE
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

that book looks amazing!
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
LoveActually
Family Elder

Post by LoveActually »

Sounds PERFECT! Thank you Jack!