A new concept for MS and other autoimmune diseases

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Leonard
Family Elder

Re: A new concept and treatment options for MS

Post by Leonard » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:42 am

We have seen that the oxidative stress cycle originates from a herpes viral infection.

As the following article suggests, it may now well be that herpes viral spreading is facilitated by oxidative stress.
That is bad because it would be a further stimulous for the vicious cycle, a sort of self-perpetuating mechanism that is launched by an MS attack, iNOS production and cellular expression.

The good thing is that, while herpes viruses are favoured by oxidative conditions, studies also suggest that a disruption of these conditions can reduce herpes infection. Some antioxidants may be more efficient than others in reducing infection. In fact, if you look at Fig.3 in the article, the reduction can be quite substantial.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5829443/

Quote: The results from our first MA support our first hypothesis that herpes virus infection caused increased OS across diverse vertebrate species, but this effect was contingent on the tissue and biomarker of OS. Our second MA supports our second hypothesis that an increased intake of antioxidants reduced the virus load, indicating that the viral replication may be favored by a status of OS. The positive effects of antioxidant administration were dependent on the concentration and the kind of antioxidant.
Last edited by Leonard on Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Leonard
Family Elder

Post by Leonard » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:54 am

On the Internet we find a mountain of medical publications, often in the open literature. Most of these publications consider the problem "in their own domain" resulting in an incomplete picture. But if we bring it all together, we can see a huge breakthrough on the horizon built on a series of interdependent innovations.

The battlefield that emerges is one of the power of patient fora on the Internet vs the power of the medical system. The latter sucks innovation and acts as a barrier to change. The question is now: How can the former help us to force change?

ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:03 am

"The battlefield that emerges is one of the power of patient fora on the Internet vs the power of the medical system. The latter sucks innovation and acts as a barrier to change."

You are pretty much correct.

"The question is now: How can the former help us to force change?"

Force change? Doubtful, there is no simple solution that can correct this but to me there is a solution - to take matters into our own hands. There is a saying "If it is meant to be, it is up to me." I have always lived by this philosophy. And have followed this simple principle since my diagnosis as I quickly realized that modern medicine could not really help me. Like many others have done and done successfully, it is possible to treat yourself successfully and that is what I have been doing. I have done and continue to do research on a daily basis - there is a lot of helpful info out there and always new ideas being presented, all you have to do is look. And there seems to be new ideas popping up regularly. I often make changes to my treatment on a weekly basis. Waiting for the right answers and solutions from the medical system over the short to medium term is really not an option that will help anyone now or in the near future.

vesta
Family Elder

Post by vesta » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:03 am

ElliotB wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:03 am
"The battlefield that emerges is one of the power of patient fora on the Internet vs the power of the medical system. The latter sucks innovation and acts as a barrier to change."

You are pretty much correct.

"The question is now: How can the former help us to force change?"

Force change? Doubtful, there is no simple solution that can correct this but to me there is a solution - to take matters into our own hands. There is a saying "If it is meant to be, it is up to me." I have always lived by this philosophy. And have followed this simple principle since my diagnosis as I quickly realized that modern medicine could not really help me. Like many others have done and done successfully, it is possible to treat yourself successfully and that is what I have been doing. I have done and continue to do research on a daily basis - there is a lot of helpful info out there and always new ideas being presented, all you have to do is look. And there seems to be new ideas popping up regularly. I often make changes to my treatment on a weekly basis. Waiting for the right answers and solutions from the medical system over the short to medium term is really not an option that will help anyone now or in the near future.
Greetings:

I fully agree with ElliotB. It's up to us to take care of ourselves.

Best, Vesta

Leonard
Family Elder

Re: A new concept for MS and other autoimmune diseases

Post by Leonard » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:36 pm

Elliot, Vesta, thank you. I agree with you that we must take care of ourselves. That is what I try to do as well.

But besides what we do in our own private sphere, public intervention and funding would seem logical because there is not a patentable molecule involved here, the underlying thinking (see essay below) is an orphan hypothesis.

And public intervention is much needed as well as the medical system is completely locked up; the inertia of the status quo is too great, every change initiative seems impeded.

We need to open up the medical system and involve thousands of interested parties discovering the alternatives and connecting the interdependent innovations and new insights.

The essay in the next posting sketches the bigger picture on autoimmunity and our society and stresses the need for government action. Governments on both sides of the ocean should now take their responsibility.
Last edited by Leonard on Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Leonard
Family Elder

Re: A new concept for MS and other autoimmune diseases

Post by Leonard » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:41 pm

Autoimmunity and our society

Our cells have very small deviations, called Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms (SNPs) which have always been considered to be irrelevant. But they are not, they are very important as they are gatekeepers that signal whether a cell is virally infected by a herpes virus. SNPs are somewhat genetically determined, by inheritance. That is why for instance Rheuma Arthritis or Alzheimer's is seen more in some families than in others. If the cell does not trigger internal cytokine or interferon mechanisms to keep the virus out, the cell will get infected with herpes.

The systemic immune system gets also loaded with herpes and normally does not recognise the infected cells; there is viral tolerance. Biological evolution of hundreds of Millions of years lies at the basis of our herpes immunity; but the immune system never got rid of herpes completely, and all people have it. The problem comes when the gut microbiome, which co-evolved with the genome for more than 2 Billion years, does no longer control the epigenetics of the cells and cells come to expression.

If cells are no longer silenced, B cells cross react with endothelial cells and then a biological mechanism starts to kill the pathogen. This mechanism is called autoimmunity. And other biochemical processes 'unfold', in particular oxidative stress. This causes diseases as Alzheimer's, Rheuma Arthritis, Astma, Lupus, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, etc. Multiple Sclerosis is a special case in the sense that, more than SNPs, vascular narrowings compromise the blood brain barrier and allow the viral loading, but the unfolding is the same.

24 Million people in the US have an autoimmune diagnosis, but another 50 million do not feel well and have autoantibodies but do not yet have enough antibodies to make a diagnosis. So, that means about 75 million have autoimmune problems. Even more disturbing, more and more children are being diagnosed with an autoimmune problem as children. For Europe, the statistics won’t be very different. Despite the increase in longevity which may be attributed to new medical techniques, drugs and technology, we are as a society progressively less well.

Why is this happening to us? What has given rise to the single largest epidemic of chronic disease in human history? Have our genes gone bad or have we adopted a lifestyle that could explain the current scourge of autoimmune diseases? Since the weight of genetic changes is insignificant in a short period of a few generations, we will need to search the causes at the environmental level. Our modern Western lifestyle over the last 50 years broke with the evolutionary path of many millions of years and led us down a very dangerous path.

The situation has to change. Underlying is a real paradigm change, like Kepler's theory in the 16th century. I think only the US government together with the 27/28 European governments can initiate change. The scourge of autoimmune diseases which will soon affect over 25 percent of our societies and is growing fast merits an urgent effort at scale to clarify and address the underlying causes.