A new concept and treatment options for MS

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Leonard
Family Elder

Re: A new concept and treatment options for MS

Post by Leonard » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:42 am

We have seen that the oxidative stress cycle originates from a herpes viral infection.

As the following article suggests, it may now well be that herpes viral spreading is facilitated by oxidative stress.
That is bad because it would be a further stimulous for the vicious cycle, a sort of self-perpetuating mechanism that is launched by an MS attack, iNOS production and cellular expression.

The good thing is that, while herpes viruses are favoured by oxidative conditions, studies also suggest that a disruption of these conditions can reduce herpes infection. Some antioxidants may be more efficient than others in reducing infection. In fact, if you look at Fig.3 in the article, the reduction can be quite substantial.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5829443/

Quote: The results from our first MA support our first hypothesis that herpes virus infection caused increased OS across diverse vertebrate species, but this effect was contingent on the tissue and biomarker of OS. Our second MA supports our second hypothesis that an increased intake of antioxidants reduced the virus load, indicating that the viral replication may be favored by a status of OS. The positive effects of antioxidant administration were dependent on the concentration and the kind of antioxidant.
Last edited by Leonard on Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Leonard
Family Elder

Post by Leonard » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:54 am

On the Internet we find a mountain of medical publications, often in the open literature. Most of these publications consider the problem "in their own domain" resulting in an incomplete picture. But if we bring it all together, we can see a huge breakthrough on the horizon built on a series of interdependent innovations.

The battlefield that emerges is one of the power of patient fora on the Internet vs the power of the medical system. The latter sucks innovation and acts as a barrier to change. The question is now: How can the former help us to force change?

ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:03 am

"The battlefield that emerges is one of the power of patient fora on the Internet vs the power of the medical system. The latter sucks innovation and acts as a barrier to change."

You are pretty much correct.

"The question is now: How can the former help us to force change?"

Force change? Doubtful, there is no simple solution that can correct this but to me there is a solution - to take matters into our own hands. There is a saying "If it is meant to be, it is up to me." I have always lived by this philosophy. And have followed this simple principle since my diagnosis as I quickly realized that modern medicine could not really help me. Like many others have done and done successfully, it is possible to treat yourself successfully and that is what I have been doing. I have done and continue to do research on a daily basis - there is a lot of helpful info out there and always new ideas being presented, all you have to do is look. And there seems to be new ideas popping up regularly. I often make changes to my treatment on a weekly basis. Waiting for the right answers and solutions from the medical system over the short to medium term is really not an option that will help anyone now or in the near future.

vesta
Family Elder

Post by vesta » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:03 am

ElliotB wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:03 am
"The battlefield that emerges is one of the power of patient fora on the Internet vs the power of the medical system. The latter sucks innovation and acts as a barrier to change."

You are pretty much correct.

"The question is now: How can the former help us to force change?"

Force change? Doubtful, there is no simple solution that can correct this but to me there is a solution - to take matters into our own hands. There is a saying "If it is meant to be, it is up to me." I have always lived by this philosophy. And have followed this simple principle since my diagnosis as I quickly realized that modern medicine could not really help me. Like many others have done and done successfully, it is possible to treat yourself successfully and that is what I have been doing. I have done and continue to do research on a daily basis - there is a lot of helpful info out there and always new ideas being presented, all you have to do is look. And there seems to be new ideas popping up regularly. I often make changes to my treatment on a weekly basis. Waiting for the right answers and solutions from the medical system over the short to medium term is really not an option that will help anyone now or in the near future.
Greetings:

I fully agree with ElliotB. It's up to us to take care of ourselves.

Best, Vesta