migrane as a first symptom of ms

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
pinksapphire
Family Member

Migraines

Post by pinksapphire »

I was diagnosed with migraines at the age of 8 or 9. I remember my mother taking me to the hospital every time I got one. I always needed a demerol shot. Then they put me on pills that I had to take at the first sign of the headache, but they hit me so fast the medication never worked.
I still suffer from migraines today and I take Relpax which works well for me.
I was diagnosed with RRMS at the age of 23, I am now 38. My MS has progressed to SPMS.
I am scheduled to go to Sophia, Bulgaria in April to get the procedure done by Dr. Grozdinski : ))
L
Family Elder

Post by L »

jimmylegs wrote:do caffeine and chocolate make sense as the triggers?
I always thought that they were quite common triggers, but I'm no expert.

I have never had a migraine I don't think buit I did get really terrible headaches for years from the age of five. Nothing visual, nothing to set them apart from a normal headache, only they were much, much more painful.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i was being a bit rhetorical there L :)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
valanhb
Family Member

Post by valanhb »

Migraines started when I was a teenager. Just the horrible pain, light and sound sensitivity, and throwing up was a sign that the end was near - then I would sleep for hours. Those continued on occassionally until my early-thirties. Never diagnosed as they weren't frequent enough to warrant meds or figure out the triggers. After the MS diagnosis at 35, I got a few of the aura migraines where my brain stopped working but no pain, fatigue, sensitivity, etc. Very strange and scary. That was diagnosed as a migraine by both my PCP and neuro.
rainy131

Post by rainy131 »

i do have headache since college, but last feb 12, 2010 i had headache (right side only), offbalance, vomitting, pain in the right eye, and numbness to my left hand and left foot, reason for me to be hospitalized. was diagnosed as classic migraine with aura. my head tests are all clear. but until now, since feb 12, my neck is still stiff, my left hand and foot still feels like there's weird inside of it, there's still a tingling sensation and when im standing, i feel like im floating, light and sound sensitivity, and iam very moody. my doc is requesting for an mri again, this time is for my spine...before they were suspecting my symptoms are for brain tumor, but head is clear...now im lost...still undiagnosed but i still all have these symptoms :cry:
sbr487
Family Elder

Post by sbr487 »

* my mother had migraines for 10 years before her symptoms started worsening (MS related)

* I had migraine much after I was suspected of having MS (nothing is straight forward in my life)

I don't have much migraines now but MS dominates.
So is the case with my mother ... no migraines but lot of MS issues ...

BTW, isnt the root cause of migraines due to improper blood flow to brain?
Exscouser

Post by Exscouser »

I have only just discovered this thread.

I have suffered from migraines, every 2-3 weeks from ms diagnosis 1991 - I can't remember having them before that :roll:

Classic migraine which for me starts with a 'crunchy' neck, followed by nausea and then the headache for a couple of days.

The only prescription drug that I take is a Triptan which seems to deal with them effectively, but I am reticent to take any medicine...

A thought ocurred to me earlier today. When I was undergoing chiropractic treatment for a back problem which involved the inevitable neck manipulations - ouch 8O the only thing that did improve were my migraines, I wonder if these neck movements free the jugular veins in some way (temporarily at least?) Hmmmmm....

Elaine :?:
PPMS Diagnosed 1991 EDSS 7
msmything
Family Elder

Post by msmything »

Check out Medscape medical news...

"Women with multiple Sclerosis have high rate of migraine"

from the Amer Acad of Neurology 62nd annual meeting
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle..
canadianguy340
Getting to Know You...

Post by canadianguy340 »

I Have dealt with what my GP figued were/are Vascular headaches. First time I had one 7 or 8 years ago. I know now that alcohol triggers them 90 percent of the time but once In awhile right outta the blue middle of the night. Feels like an ice cream headache In my(allways) right eye. If they are intense will cause my eye to droop a bit but those kind are rare. They never last more thn 30 minutes or so, Hot shower will relieve it a bit. They seem lot worse if its hot out and been in the sun. Stopped smoking and they seemed to disapeer but recently had a couple after work having a beer or 2. My MS is mild Fatigue and weekness arms legs seems to be the worst of it. Three Mris which showed Leisons havent heard bout the 3rd yet. Find this interesting cause of the CCSVI thing happening. D
catfreak
Family Elder

Post by catfreak »

Migraine was my first MS symptom.

Cat
Holly - Shine On You Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd

9/3/09 Stanford - Dr Dake - Stent in R-J to unblock Arachnoid Cyst in Sigmoid Sinus. Stent in narrowed L-J. Balloon in narrowing where R & L Jugulars meet.
1hotmama

migranes

Post by 1hotmama »

I started having migranes in 2000. Steadily the migranes got more frequent. I tried tons of drugs to control the horrible pain but nothing worked. Finally I got into a neurologist and was diagnosed with M.S. That was in 2003. I had roughly a year of what my doctor called "benign" M.S. until January of '04 when I lost total control of my legs from the waist down. At the hospital, the doctors tried to kill the pain for me but nothing worked. Even daladid iv only worked for about 10 minutes. I now have had a constant migrane for 8 1/2 years.
I tried every drug that was recommended by the doctors and soon had an addiction and only slight pain relief. I've tried avonex, rebif, but copaxone and tysabri I had allergic reactions to. I can't handle any of these poisons but now I can say that I tried everything medically available up to date. After trying copaxone, I was immediately unable to walk and that was January of '09 and I'm still in a chair. Tysabri didn't make me as sick as the other drugs but I lost all of my strength and now need 24/7 care. I'm 33! :x
JadeVictoria
Getting to Know You...

Post by JadeVictoria »

I think it's interesting that so many people with MS also have migraines. It seems like a direct link to MS being a vascular disease. I hope they hurry with the CCSVI reasearch. Wouldn't it be great if we could get rid of our MS and our headaches at the same time?
msmything
Family Elder

Post by msmything »

Yipes, that was a quick journey down, I'm so sorry.
have you tried a long acting narcotic like fentanyl? I love it, it works.

I wish I could get inout in possible chaneges in my ability to learn and follow directions, but the fact of the matter is I wouldn't quit anyway.

I don't like the addiction, I hate it it's scary, but as my doc said, addiction is a negative word, dependence is the same thing without the stigma.

Blessings to you
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle..
zen2010
Family Elder

Post by zen2010 »

Migrain was also my first ms symptom.
However, these migrains were somehow kind of unusual. They were occurring every day/several times per day at the same time with the visual aura and then nasty one-sided headache.
During this difficult time (6 months) I had my first relapse, followed by a progressive evolution of the ms. One year later the neurologist told me the good news:)
Chris55
Family Elder

Post by Chris55 »

It is a classical symptom of Lyme Disease which duplicates many of the typical MS symptoms.

Return to “General Discussion”