Constipation

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
hlm286
Family Elder

Constipation

Post by hlm286 »

I have been having these problems for a long time now. Sorry if this is TMI, it's not so much constipation as just that things will not move! I am pregnant as well so I'm sure the combination doesn't help. I've eaten All Bran everyday in the past, it didn't help. I've started drinking a cup of prune juice every morning and it doesn't help that much either. Cutting out dairy or wheat didn't seem to make a difference. The only thing that seems to get things moving is walking on the treadmill, which I know is great and I enjoy it, but sometimes even that doesn't work. Does anyone have a remedy or advice for this situation? I'm thinking of making a doctors appointment because I'm just so frustrated with it all. And I know you're not supposed to strain but that's the only thing that gets it out and after my stomach hurts, not to mention I know it's not good for the bottom.

Any help?

Once again, sorry if this is TMI.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

I have no foolproof solution to the problem of constipation. I can only offer suggestions from my personal experience: Exercise is very important, as you have discovered. Consuming sugar or sweet foods seems to increase the problem -- I suggest an extremely low-carb diet; an emphasis on fruits and vegetables seems to help me.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

magnesium oxide, try taking 750mg per day for 3 days and see what happens. this does work for me without fail, and i have had reports back that it works for others. it is hard to absorb therefore a known laxative. plus it's good for other issues with ms. if you try it out, please report back on results!
HTH :)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
euphoniaa
Volunteer Moderator

Post by euphoniaa »

Hi hlm,

Sorry you're dealing with this. I've only started experiencing real constipation recently, apparently from vitamin D - I can only handle up to 500 IU. And vitamin C may be a good choice to get your system moving, since it tends to cause diarrhea (the main reason I gave it up), but I'd start by going over your usual diet/meds/supplements and see if you can find a cause you can eliminate. I don't know why more people don't start by trying to eliminate something instead of adding it or increasing the dosage - even of a supplement. When I first started vitamin D at 1000 IU, I finally had to resort to using a little Fleet enema after almost a week, a very mild solution to a distressing problem.

Over the years I've discovered that my body often reacts severely to meds, supplements, and foods, so I've been charting my symptoms/food for years. I'm a true believer that you are what you eat. :) I eat tons of fresh fruits & vegetables, so that's why constipation has rarely been a problem for me at all. But - certain foods are completely constipating for me - like dry roasted peanuts, chocolate, cheese... And I've found the perfect fast food meals that can quickly clean things out whenever needed. :D My body doesn't like that stuff at all.

While I was doing a quick search just now to find out if there was any support for my own opinions & experience - like for vit C & D (there is confirmation for that, BTW), I found this little page that has some great hints, though. Check it out.

And you should definitely bring it up to your doctor. Good luck!

Edited 4-22-11 to remove bad link.
Last edited by euphoniaa on Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dx'd with MS & HNPP (hereditary peripheral neuropathy) 7/03 but must have had MS for 30 yrs before that. I've never taken meds for MS except 1 yr experiment on LDN. (I found diet, exercise, sleep, humor, music help me the most.)
euphoniaa
Volunteer Moderator

Post by euphoniaa »

I just re-read that link about constipation and - for those who usually skim over links and only read posts - this one really DOES have some great information. :D

4-22-11: Never mind...now the link is bad so I removed it.
Last edited by euphoniaa on Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dx'd with MS & HNPP (hereditary peripheral neuropathy) 7/03 but must have had MS for 30 yrs before that. I've never taken meds for MS except 1 yr experiment on LDN. (I found diet, exercise, sleep, humor, music help me the most.)
hlm286
Family Elder

Post by hlm286 »

Jimmylegs - is that safe to take during pregnancy?
twistymirrors
Family Member

Post by twistymirrors »

I've been having problems with constipation for the last few weeks...mainly because im on t3's right now for a gallbladder issue while i await a hida scan before surgery.
I've tried everything...i did the laxative thing on the weekend and i was going all day saturday but never got the feeling of being completely empty and here i am now havent gone since saturday again.
I'm so use to having diahrrea or close to it most of the time and i use to say "i wish i could be constipated" but i no longer think this way...having chronic diahrrea is definately better in my books now...lol
I find raw vegetables make me go...like i mean they go straight thru me...also juice(like apple juice)...mow if you need to stop diahrrea thats a whole different story...tried it all-banana's, cheese, imodium, etc. Nothing helps me there...
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

well i had to do a quick google on that but here's what i found:
Not only will Magnesium help with those developmental functions, but taking a magnesium supplement while pregnant may also help prevent premature labor. One other pleasant effect of taking magnesium is that it could possibly reduce pregnancy related leg cramping and heartburn.
You don’t really need lots of magnesium, and it is recommended that you ensure that you are getting around 360 mg per day. As with most vitamins it is not advised to take more than the recommended daily amount. Too much magnesium can be toxic for you – and obviously this would not be good for your baby either.

Is Magnesium Safe During Pregnancy?

There are many benefits to ensuring that you are receiving sufficient magnesium in your diet. Manganese plays an important role in the formation of bone, teeth, cartilage, development of your babys inner and outer ears as well as the assists certain enzymes to function properly.

Not only will Magnesium help with those developmental functions, but taking a magnesium supplement while pregnant may also help prevent premature labor. One other pleasant effect of taking magnesium is that it could possibly reduce pregnancy related leg cramping and heartburn.

How much magnesium do you need while pregnant?
You don’t really need lots of magnesium, and it is recommended that you ensure that you are getting around 360 mg per day. As with most vitamins it is not advised to take more than the recommended daily amount. Too much magnesium can be toxic for you – and obviously this would not be good for your baby either.

Where can I get magnesium from?
Magnesium comes from a wide range of foods, and because of this most prenatal vitamins do not include magnesium.
according to world's healthiest foods www.whfoods.com the way to maximize your mag while minimizing calories is to eat swiss chard and/or spinach.

a 1 cup serving (calorie range 30s-40s) of either provides almost 40% of your daily needs (don't overcook, steam rather than boil)

pumpkin seeds are richer in magnesium (a quarter cup serving provides around 45% of daily needs) has almost 200 calories.

what is magnesium toxicity:
http://dietary-supplements.info.nih.gov ... ium.asp#h5
pharmacologic doses of magnesium in supplements can promote adverse effects such as diarrhea and abdominal cramping. Risk of magnesium toxicity increases with kidney failure, when the kidney loses the ability to remove excess magnesium. Very large doses of magnesium-containing laxatives and antacids also have been associated with magnesium toxicity. For example, a case of hypermagnesemia after unsupervised intake of aluminum magnesia oral suspension occurred after a 16 year old girl decided to take the antacid every two hours rather than four times per day, as prescribed. Three days later, she became unresponsive and demonstrated loss of deep tendon reflex. Doctors were unable to determine her exact magnesium intake, but the young lady presented with blood levels of magnesium five times higher than normal
i have been taking magnesium for years and would say the laxative effect gives me a heads-up long before anything else could possibly have a chance to kick in!

500mg per day should do you and your baby nothing but good. shye mentioned that there's a great chelated form which increases availability and you can take the recommended amounts for ms patients without the runs. carlson, solgar, and doctor's best are reported by shye as good choices.

tolerable upper intake levels are 350mg according to the mainstream. intakes on the order of 600-1200 are recommended for ms patients. i generally take 500mg mag citrate, supposedly one of the better non-chelated mag supp forms, and if i take as much as 750mg per day it won't be long before i'm dashing to the toilet.

HTH :)
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

update on the brands:
The one and only effective supplement (until now) is the Magnesium-glycinate supplement, produced by Carlson Labaratories. Please don't use the Solgar's magnesium-glycinate supplement (no offence, Solgar has other great products), since it also contains considerate amounts of calcium, which will act as an antagonist on magnesium.
Bubba
Family Elder

Post by Bubba »

I have done a colon cleansing, worked great. Soon as I stopped the 30 day program....BAM....stopped up again.
I now have no problem, I have raisin bran cereal about 3x a week...It almost works to well LOL! I have to be careful passing gas now 8O :D
shinyredsparkles
Getting to Know You...

Post by shinyredsparkles »

2 words for you... psyllium husk. psyllium husk, psyllium husk, psyllium husk!!!

it is magic stuff, and completely natural. not sure about which country you're from, but here in oz you can buy bags of it at the supermarket. you can either sprinkle it on cereal, or mix it with water and drink it - when you do though it gets quite thick and yucky, but if you squeeze lemon juice in as well its much nicer.

honestly, i cannot rave about the stuff enough, pleeeeeease give it a try - plus its completely natural which is always a good thing :)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

psyllium husk is indeed great stuff, if i remember correctly it is the main ingredient in metamucil, but while it does provide fibre, it does not provide nutrients that tend to be low in ms.. such as magnesium! :)
shye
Family Elder

Post by shye »

Jimmylegs posted
update on the brands:
Quote:
The one and only effective supplement (until now) is the Magnesium-glycinate supplement, produced by Carlson Labaratories. Please don't use the Solgar's magnesium-glycinate supplement (no offence, Solgar has other great products), since it also contains considerate amounts of calcium, which will act as an antagonist on magnesium.
Good point on the Solgar--I recommended Solgar because of the fact used the Albion Chelation porcess, but then failed to read the label, which indeed indicates 135 mg of Ca, and tiny bit of Iron also (and we don't need iron!) (and I usually would not recommend Solgar's products--many better companies out there).
But Doctor's Best Chelated Mg is a great Mg product--I use it--it uses the Albion chelation process, and is Mg glycine/lysinate chelate (the best), and has the additional ingredient Bioperine (blk pepper extract), which is very helpful in absorption.
shye
Family Elder

Post by shye »

him286
have you tried a tablespoon of Flax oil? You could be deficient in essential fatty acids, and that could constipate you.
jozee
Family Member

Post by jozee »

Hi HLM286

Obviously you're not alone with this promblem. My mother said I was born constipated. lol Thanks Mom! I use flax seed to keeep me going. I mix ground flax seed, 2 tsp., in some yogurt every morning. It helps. Its also beneficial for breast health and has omega 3 as well. I also take a tblsp of Udo's choice oil blend daily, which is a 3,6,9 EFA combination. I find these items at Whole Foods or health food stores in the refridgerator section. I hope this info helps.
Jozee

Return to “General Discussion”