Massage?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
msmything
Family Elder

Massage?

Post by msmything »

We all know massage feels good, is there any literature supporting its use in MS? And, the massage choices read like a menu at a greek diner, how do you know which one to choose?
I got a script from my doc, and apparently some of the cost will be covered, much like chiropractic is.
I'll be spending about 4 hours a day on commuter trains tues and wed, I thought I'd uncrumple myself on thursday.
Any input or experiences?
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle..
BiancaPolzin

Massage

Post by BiancaPolzin »

My Dad used to love having his weekly massage. It helped him totally relax his muscles, and afterwards he found strength he never knew he had! Can someone come to your home? There are heaps of qualified massuers out there who can come to your house, and are probably less expensive than a chiropractor.
elyse_peace
Family Elder

Post by elyse_peace »

Hello -
I am fortunate to have a massage therapist come to my home every two weeks. I don't personally know of books on the subject, but my MT says that massage is very important to circulation. I'd imagine that, what with CCSVI, it is even more important than we knew, especially in view of the inactivity that goes along with MS.
Massage therapists are licensed to provide medically approved aid.
Best to you,
Elyse
jackD
Family Elder

a painful experience????

Post by jackD »

I hate to break up the consensus that massage is great for MS folks.

But - A BIG BUT - It may prove to be a painful experience for many MS folks.

I was married to a physical therapist for about 25 years and must admit that there was a time when the "almost free" messages were greatly enjoyed.

However I found them becoming very painful. My wife figured out quite quickly that ALL my muscle insertions points were VERY SORE and a bit inflamed.

It appears that my MS causes my muscles to be in an almost constant state of mild tension that constantly tugged on the muscle insertion points and made them sore.

She was mildly upset so I just stopped getting and occasional “free massage". She never discovered I had MS before she died.

So a "deep message" could be an undesirable painful event.

jackD
poppet
Getting to Know You...

Trigger Point Therapy

Post by poppet »

Wow....finally I can understand the muscle pain I experience....makes sense...thanks Jack!!

I went for trigger point therapy B4 MS ...... it was for migraines. They find the painful trigger spot and press on it...slowly releasing the tension. It was a bit painful...but a "good pain" It did seem to help relax the muscles.....she always said my muscles were very tight.
msmything
Family Elder

Post by msmything »

I can see that where the nerves attach to the muscles would probably be very sensitive, motor end points?..But I would hope that a professional with the amount of experience this person has with sick folks that she would be able to feel these points as my chiro guy can, he zooms in like a laser guided missile, and when he releases these spots I can finally relax that spasm, but it does hurt during the 'release' part, but man, the freedom that comes after....

I had to look reasonably dressed up at work the other day, and put on a blazer I have had for some years. My fingertips barely stuck out of the ends, my shoulders are so drawn up...I looked like a kid playing dress up instead of the grunt playing exec...bad enough I can't find words, now it looks like I can't find a mirror either! LOL
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle..
jackD
Family Elder

Post by jackD »

msmything wrote:I can see that where the nerves attach to the muscles would probably be very sensitive, motor end points?..But I would hope that a professional with the amount of experience this person has with sick folks that she would be able to feel these points as my chiro guy can, he zooms in like a laser guided missile, and when he releases these spots I can finally relax that spasm, but it does hurt during the 'release' part, but man, the freedom that comes after....

I had to look reasonably dressed up at work the other day, and put on a blazer I have had for some years. My fingertips barely stuck out of the ends, my shoulders are so drawn up...I looked like a kid playing dress up instead of the grunt playing exec...bad enough I can't find words, now it looks like I can't find a mirror either! LOL
The problem is NOT where the nerve attaches to the muscle...
...It is where the muscle attaches to the bone.

That attachement point in MS is constantly getting tugged .. even while we sleep for many MS folks. A physical therapist knows where all the major muscles attach to the bone. These sensitive pain "Trigger points" can be easily located by pressing down at that precise location. I take some Zanaflex(4 mg) (only at night) to relax my bodies muscles so I can both sleep and give my muscles some "relax time" and releive some of the accumulated soreness.

MS folks have a "hyper nervous system". That is why when they hit you on the knee with the little hammer your knee leaps into the air. IT (the muscle) is already in "tension" ready to rapidly release at the first wack.

jackD
Villagemaid
Family Elder

Post by Villagemaid »

I go for deep tissue massage......love it.....it is a man who does it and boy, he can really really use force. I was skeptical at first thinking it might hurt, but I thought I would try it and if it started hurting then just to tell them to stop and lighten up - but I LOVED IT.....and it wasn't too bad afterward.....

Return to “General Discussion”