Myelin repair

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
bromley
Family Elder

Myelin repair

Post by bromley »

It's early research + research on mice, but very promising as these are top research institutions:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11913689
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

BBC News wrote:MS is caused by a defect in the body's immune system, which turns in on itself, and attacks the fatty myelin sheath.
Thanks Ian, although I think it's just you and I in this echoey old warehouse of a website. Seems most everyone else is convinced that MS/CCSVI, if they do indeed ever prove to be related, is of a vascular cause.

On a sidenote, regarding your immune system directed treatment, any further progression these last few years? How are the beaches of spain?
CCSVIhusband
Family Elder

Post by CCSVIhusband »

Lyon wrote:
BBC News wrote:MS is caused by a defect in the body's immune system, which turns in on itself, and attacks the fatty myelin sheath.
Thanks Ian, although I think it's just you and I in this echoey old warehouse of a website. Seems most everyone else is convinced that MS/CCSVI, if they do indeed ever prove to be related, is of a vascular cause.

On a sidenote, regarding your immune system directed treatment, any further progression these last few years? How are the beaches of spain?
The beirut study you guys seem to love showed that CCSVI and MS are related. Please stop spreading misinformation.

Is it (CCSVI) the ONLY likely cause of "MS" ... probably not ... but it's linked and you can't argue it - so please stop trying to do so.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

CCSVIhusband wrote: The beirut study you guys seem to love showed that CCSVI and MS are related. Please stop spreading misinformation.

Is it (CCSVI) the ONLY likely cause(?) of "MS" ... probably not ... but it's linked and you can't argue it - so please stop trying to do so.
OK, I've give you a little time to get your "facts" straight......IS IT the Beirut study? Final answer?

Again, my opinions are insignificant, you don't need to convince me. The largest part of the medical community and the people who authorize insurance payments are who need to be convinced and it seems that is becoming an increasingly distant goal.

As long as I have you on the "phone". Has it ever occurred to you that "firsthand" can only mean that something has happened to you and getting the information from your wife isn't within that definition? I thought not.
CCSVIhusband
Family Elder

Post by CCSVIhusband »

Do you have a point with the post above? Or is it just you trying to weasel out of getting pinned down on an official statement and trying to make something out of a situation with me that isn't 100% accurate and you know it? I'm not ChrishasMS ... I actually always stand up to your nonsense ...

Seems silly of you to bring some of it up that nobody was talking about, since a lot of insurance companies are paying for testing and treatment of CCSVI ...

Yes cause (and I said it's not likely the only cause of "MS") can you name the cause of "MS" ... no you can't ... so why is it more likely autoimmune (I didn't know someone inserted foreign brain matter into human brains to give them MS as happens in EAE mice - and those CRABS drugs work just as well in humans as mice ... errrrrrrr, no they don't, sorry.) than CCSVI ... both have been proved just as much at this point.

Keep bashing CCSVI ... it's rather amusing. You're silly.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

Lyon wrote:Thanks Ian, although I think it's just you and I in this echoey old warehouse of a website. Seems most everyone else is convinced that MS/CCSVI, if they do indeed ever prove to be related, is of a vascular cause.
That almost sounds lonely?

The link was to an article about remyelination. Whether or not MS has a vascular cause (and I know you know which side of that I land on), remyelination is huge and beneficial to those of us with demyelination.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

CCSVIhusband wrote: Keep bashing CCSVI ... it's rather amusing. You're silly.
I wonder if babelfish can translate your writings because all I get is blah, blah, blah!?
CCSVIhusband
Family Elder

Post by CCSVIhusband »

Funny, because aside from your 4 skeptic friends, that's all the rest of us see in your posts.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

CCSVIhusband wrote:Funny, because aside from your 4 skeptic friends, that's all the rest of us see in your posts.

babelfish wrote:blah, blah, blah
Nope, that didn't help!
ikulo
Family Elder

Post by ikulo »

Here I am in the General Discussion group trying to get away from the CCSVI bickering and you two jokers have managed to ruin even THIS experience.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Cece wrote: The link was to an article about remyelination. Whether or not MS has a vascular cause (and I know you know which side of that I land on), remyelination is huge and beneficial to those of us with demyelination.
Although I don't want to minimize the situation a helluva recent advance was going from thinking that re-myelinsation is something that doesn't happen to realizing that it does happen, although admittedly inadequately.

Still, it's a huge advancement to go from "not possible" to only having to "speed up the process".
Regulation of Oligodendrocyte Differentiation and Myelination * Ben Emery Science 5 November 2010: 779-782. wrote:A major future challenge will be translating our knowledge of oligodendrocyte development and myelination into therapeutic approaches aimed at promoting remyelination in human diseases such as the leukodystrophies and MS. In early MS, remyelination can occur relatively robustly, but becomes less efficient with disease progression. Given that mature oligodendrocytes are relatively inefficient in initiating new myelin segments (13, 52), it seems likely that strategies promoting remyelination in such diseases will need to be targeted toward promoting the division, recruitment, and differentiation of OPCs and their subsequent myelination. It is not clear whether all mechanisms that regulate developmental myelination will have identical roles in remyelination; for example, unlike in development, Notch signaling does not appear to be a ratelimiting step in experimentally induced remyelination (53). Encouragingly, however, many of the mechanisms thus far identified as controlling developmental myelination do have conserved roles in remyelination. For instance, modulation of Lingo-1, known to regulate developmental myelination (5), also modulates remyelination in animal models of demyelination (54). Similarly, SVZ-derived OPCs receive synaptic input in the whitematter in a mouse model of remyelination, indicating that, like developmental myelination, remyelination may be in part mediated by neuronal activity (26). We are still a long way from fully applying our understanding of mechanisms of myelin in a therapeutic context; however, the discoveries described here will provide an important basis for such work.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

rules of the board
If you disagree with someone, please succintly state why and let it go at that. Point, counterpoint, counter-counter point, etc. is not useful-- the reality is that after the first disagreement, you will rarely convince another of something they feel strongly about unless you have shocking new information to share. The drawn-out debates also turn people off from reading the messages in the first place. If you really have to get something off your chest, please send that person a Private Message-- there is no need to have a long argument in public.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.