Neurofeedback

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Selmahope
Family Elder

Neurofeedback

Post by Selmahope »

Has anyone tried neurofeedback?
Selmahope
Family Elder

Re: Neurofeedback/Wisconsin project/brain plasticity

Post by Selmahope »

Just checking to see if anyone has checked into neurofeedback. It looks like it utilizes brain plasticity--and looks fascinating.

Still wondering what the outcome of the wisconsin project and montel were? I cant' believe they hyped it up with Montel with video clips and then nada, no outcome, no info, nothing.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Neurofeedback

Post by NHE »

I once had the opportunity to play around with a biofeedback machine. It had a CRT with a trace going horizontally across the middle of the screen. There were also two metal pads where you placed your fingers. Without moving my fingers I could change the position of the trace on the screen just by changing a feeling in my head. It was fun and also captivating as I could make the trace go up and down at will.

NHE
Selmahope
Family Elder

Post by Selmahope »

biodfeedback is very different from neurofeedback. Google neurofeedback to learn about it.
Petr75
Family Elder

Post by Petr75 »

2021 Mar 30
Department of Neurology, Medical University of Graz, Austria
MRI correlates of cognitive improvement after home-based EEG neurofeedback training in patients with multiple sclerosis: a pilot study
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33786666/

Abstract

Objective: Neurofeedback training may improve cognitive function in patients with neurological disorders. However, the underlying cerebral mechanisms of such improvements are poorly understood. Therefore, we aimed to investigate MRI correlates of cognitive improvement after EEG-based neurofeedback training in patients with MS (pwMS).

Methods: Fourteen pwMS underwent ten neurofeedback training sessions within 3-4 weeks at home using a tele-rehabilitation system. Half of the pwMS (N = 7, responders) learned to self-regulate sensorimotor rhythm (SMR, 12-15 Hz) by visual feedback and improved cognitively after training, whereas the remainder (non-responders, n = 7) did not. Diffusion-tensor imaging and resting-state fMRI of the brain was performed before and after training. We analyzed fractional anisotropy (FA) and functional connectivity (FC) of the default-mode, sensorimotor (SMN) and salience network (SAL).

Results: At baseline, responders and non-responders were comparable regarding sex, age, education, disease duration, physical and cognitive impairment, and MRI parameters. After training, compared to non-responders, responders showed increased FA and FC within the SAL and SMN. Cognitive improvement correlated with increased FC in SAL and a correlation trend with increased FA was observed.

Conclusions: This exploratory study suggests that successful neurofeedback training may not only lead to cognitive improvement, but also to increases in brain microstructure and functional connectivity.

-------------------------------
https://www.eboro.cz/ms/
https://www.eboro.cz

Return to “General Discussion”