did anything cause your MS?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
milesap
Family Elder

Re: did anything cause your MS?

Post by milesap »

No one knows the cause but their are certain similar probable causes:
EBV, CCSVI, Lack or low Vitamin D, Trauma such as whiplash, one of 50 genes now associated with MS. It appears you have to have about three of the causes before it becomes MS.
scorpions
Family Member

Post by scorpions »

milesap wrote:No one knows the cause but their are certain similar probable causes:
EBV, CCSVI, Lack or low Vitamin D, Trauma such as whiplash, one of 50 genes now associated with MS. It appears you have to have about three of the causes before it becomes MS.

Careful Milesap. Many of the "causes" you listed above have practically no scientific evidence to back them up but get a lot of airplay on TIMS. I believe that is an important distinction for new people coming to this site to know! Scorp
civickiller
Family Elder

Post by civickiller »

scorpions wrote:
milesap wrote:No one knows the cause but their are certain similar probable causes:

Careful Milesap. Many of the "causes" you listed above have practically no scientific evidence to back them up but get a lot of airplay on TIMS. I believe that is an important distinction for new people coming to this site to know! Scorp
please explain which ones your talking about
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Multifactorial: a genetic predisposition, enormous stress at the time, low vitamin D and a chronic C pn infection which has now been cured, leaving a residua of some MS weaknesses but no new symptoms or a progression of existing symptoms for nearly nine years...................Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
shaight
Family Elder

Post by shaight »

well, since no one knows the cause of MS, it would appear that the only cause i can give for my specific situation is that i am alive. :-D

my vit D level was normal, my diet was healthy, my fitness level is good, i've had no serious injuries to trigger anything. i am irish, scottish, english and have lived in the north or up high my entire life. so, i just don't know. one of my three sisters was also diagnosed with MS. there is a gene factor in there somewhere i would assume.
mrbarlow
Family Elder

Post by mrbarlow »

I suspect cumulative impact;

EBV - 1989
Smoker - 1988-2002
Low Vit D status in winter (Uk resident)
Genetics - Aunt also has MS
ssmme
Family Elder

Post by ssmme »

EBV at 11 Years old
Bad diet
Vit D levels were always average but I think that really means they were lower than they should have been
Irish/German descent and was born and live in the northern most tip of Kentucky
Outbreak of HPV after husband and I stopped using condoms so we could get pregnant (He had it years before we met) 2001
Severe trauma during childbirth in 2002 followed by Bell's Palsy
Major deterioration following lumbar puncture that caused two weeks of crushing head pain and resolved with left arm tingles/weakness and left leg weakness, gait issues and left foot drop(2006)
Dx - Aug 2006
Marcia
Bethr
Family Elder

Post by Bethr »

I'm pretty sure that my CIS event was caused by a combination of:

a) being mildly Iron overloaded (genetic predisposition via C282Y gene).
b) being given a large dental anaesthetic (lesion 2 weeks after)
c) genetic predisposition, (sister with MS)
d) heavy smoker for 35 years

Putting things right has meant:
1) lowering my iron levels and continuing to do so over the past two years via venesections.
2) Making sure that any anaesthetics I'm given don't use the P450 channels.
3) Avoiding other substances, drugs and foods that are synthesized through the P450 channels.
4) Giving up smoking.

I'm pretty good for now, and hope it continues. :-D
turbotaguy
Family Member

Post by turbotaguy »

My first flair up that landed me in the hospital and led to my diagnosis 5 years ago came about 2 weeks after using Chantix to quit smoking.

I don't think Chantix causes MS, but I do think it turned it on. If you google Chantix and MS you will see that I am not alone. Many folks started having MS symptoms shortly after using this product. In fact, for a while the side effects listed on the Chantix box said "MS like symptons" or something like that.

At least I did quit smoking.
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Post by Wonderfulworld »

I suppose none of these are certain or proven causes but it is interesting to see so many are shared between us.
Mine were:

EBV mono age 19 that infected my liver and caused jaundice - LR I notice u had similar.

Smoker age 18 - 33

Low vit D status

Poor diet

Extreme and prolonged stress as a child and adolescent

Undiagnosed Coeliac age 7-33.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Concussus Resurgo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RR-MS dx 1998 and Coeliac dx 2003
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tecfidera, Cymbalta, Baclofen.
EPO, Fish Oils, Vitamin D3 2000 IU, Magnesium, Multivitamin/mineral, Co-Enzyme Q10, Probiotics, Milk Thistle, Melatonin.
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Jeff came back from a week at high altitude with his first whopper MS flare...6 enhancing lesions, over 20 cerebral lesions. He always had trouble at high altitude.

Pre-MS diagnosis he was a workaholic, high stress career, lousy eating habits, not much sleep. Low vitamin D. Not sure about EBV.
But low oxygen, bad diet, stress (cortisol), bad sleep habits, low vitamin D, smoking, viruses and bacteria are all endothelial disrupters, could slow cerebral blood flow and cause hypoxia--which calls in the immune system.

http://www.ccsvi.org/index.php/helping- ... ial-health
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
blossom
Family Elder

Post by blossom »

trauma! though i can't help but wonder that since my x's first wife had ms--if it's possible he's like a typhoid mary--carrying a virus but never getting it. there are a few dr.'s around that suspect sexual connection.

my family both sides-no ms. but his first cousin has it.

i was in perfect health until the trauma and my cervical and spine is a mess and positioning effects my symptoms. so, trauma. have 1 lesion on the cervical for 22 yrs. now.

i really think these symptoms they named ms is a melting pot for a lot of stuff. they put us in a pot and forget we are individuals also.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Blossom – All of us review our lives looking for possible reasons that we have this disease. It is natural that you would say:
i can't help but wonder that since my x's first wife had ms--if it's possible he's like a typhoid mary--carrying a virus but never getting it. there are a few dr.'s around that suspect sexual connection.
In my opinion, your suspicion is absolutely NOT possible. I have not heard of any doctors who suspect sexual connection either.

But keep thinking; there IS a reason for this disease.
blossom
Family Elder

Post by blossom »

hi lyndacarol,

you are right there has to be an answer to why we get ms. or at least these symptoms they named ms. which i truly believe we are not all the same. groups of us maybe.

there are a lot smarter people than me studying this and spent boo coo bucks for many yrs. and still nothing "for sure". so how can anything be ruled 100 per cent in or out?

anyhow, when you google say "multiple sclerosis sexually transmitted"--true, nothing is proven, but there sure are a lot of coincidences. and what is out there proven 100 per cent that is even a cause or cure?

bottom line, we all want answers, so far nothing is written in stone, so we search and hope.

when asked what i felt brought my symptoms on the answers i gave i stick to. to say neither is possible-then i want 100 percent proof.
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Post by Wonderfulworld »

See the follow Pubmed article by a Doctor CH Hawkes on sexual transmission and MS: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... p00439.pdf

Do you know there is so much unsolved and mysterious about MS perhaps this seemingly mad theory is as deserving as as much consideration as any other...............?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Concussus Resurgo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RR-MS dx 1998 and Coeliac dx 2003
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tecfidera, Cymbalta, Baclofen.
EPO, Fish Oils, Vitamin D3 2000 IU, Magnesium, Multivitamin/mineral, Co-Enzyme Q10, Probiotics, Milk Thistle, Melatonin.

Return to “General Discussion”