Benfotiamine

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
sam112233
Getting to Know You...

Re: Benfotiamine

Post by sam112233 »

There is a study called Inhibition of Thiamine Transport in Saccharomyces cerevisiae by Thiamine Disulfides showing benfotiamine inhibits thiamine uptake massively. So does sublutiamine, and TTFD. All three will induce a thiamine deficiency in someone. They are very very dangerous, and should never be taken. Take high dose thiamin HCL instead. I take 5g a day, and 8g a day has been studied for alzheimers successfully with no side effects.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

sam112233 wrote:There is a study called Inhibition of Thiamine Transport in Saccharomyces cerevisiae by Thiamine Disulfides showing benfotiamine inhibits thiamine uptake massively. So does sublutiamine, and TTFD. All three will induce a thiamine deficiency in someone. They are very very dangerous, and should never be taken. Take high dose thiamin HCL instead. I take 5g a day, and 8g a day has been studied for alzheimers successfully with no side effects.
Do you have a link for this paper? A PubMed search for "Inhibition of Thiamine Transport" returned "quoted phrase not found."
sam112233
Getting to Know You...

Post by sam112233 »

NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

NHE wrote:Do you have a link for this paper? A PubMed search for "Inhibition of Thiamine
Transport" returned "quoted phrase not found."
Well, it turns out PubMed does have this article after all.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... 4-0307.pdf

The paper discusses thiamine disulfide and O-benzoyl thiamine disulfide. Anyways, both of these compounds have different molecular structures from benfotiamine.

Thiamine disulfide

O-benzoyl thiamine disulfide

Benfotiamine

Oh, and just for the sake of completeness, here's thiamine.

Thiamine

sam112233
Getting to Know You...

Post by sam112233 »

Yeh I was just looking at it again, and saw that. I don't know why the heck I thought it was benfotiamine. Sulbutiamine has similar structure to thiamine disulfide so presumably that would inhibit thiamine transport. I am looking for an explanation why I got so sick taking sulbutiamine. Other people on amazon reviews did too. I got sick taking TTFD too so that would also be a thiamine transport or enzyme inhibtor. And based on people on amazon reviews saying benfotiamine made them sick that would be also.

The naturally occurring thiamine disulfide forms in garlic are thiamine allyl disulfide, and thiamine propyl disulfide.
bbshopbarbie

Post by bbshopbarbie »

I have been using Doctor’s Best Benfotiamine 300. I buy it on Amazon and have it on auto ship. It is doing wonders for my depression and fatigue and of coarse is helping with my neuropathy. It does take a few weeks to “kick in” but I am getting very good results with it.