Benfotiamine

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
lovebug
Family Elder

Benfotiamine

Post by lovebug »

Has anybody here tried Benfotiamine to treat their MS symptoms such as nerve pain? Do you need a prescription from a doctor or can it be bought over the counter in Canada. Any success stories or is it `snake oil`. Thanks folks!
DougL
Family Elder

Re: Benfotiamine

Post by DougL »

sorry i never heard of it. but i did google it.

i would say you can buy it over the counter. for example Amazon carries it. not sure if Canada has it though.
tzootsi
Family Elder

Post by tzootsi »

Benfotiamine is a potent form of vitamin B1 which seems to be helpful to diabetics with neuropathy. There is a discussion of it on this forum :
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/chronic-c ... -1110.html
lovebug
Family Elder

Post by lovebug »

Hey thanks so much folks for your help! I think many of you people here are more knowledgeable about MS than many of the doctors we MSrs have to deal with. And my search for some type of pain relief from nerve pain continues..........
DougL
Family Elder

Post by DougL »

lovebug wrote: I think many of you people here are more knowledgeable about MS than many of the doctors we MSrs have to deal with. ....
wow, might be the nicest thing i have ever read on here.
blossom
Family Elder

Post by blossom »

hi lovebug, i have not tried it yet but plan to.

when i had the ccsvi treatment i woke up with a numb leg. they gave me no answers when i expressed my concern as i never in 22 yrs. experienced numbness. that was aug. 2, 2010. after consulting other doctors the only explanation would be that the entry at the femoral vein and femoral nerve are so close the femoral nerve got injured. i had hoped it would heal but instead it has worsened and spread.

i have never in 22 yrs. taken anything stronger than an asparin. but this numbness and pain has me screaming "uncle"!! so i broke down and asked my ppc dr. about it and for something for the pain. he has been my dr. for 20 yrs. and knows how i feel about drugs etc. he gave me a script for pain med.

"but" he also said i might want to try "high doses of b1"--that it is good for "healing injured nerves". why he never suggested it for ms??? but, when the nerve got injured otherwise he did. it's worth a shot. doesn't sound like it will do harm.
lovebug
Family Elder

Post by lovebug »

Thank you `blossom`. I am on the hunt today for Vitamin B-1-in the stores. So far I have only found it in 100 mg.pills. And than I am not sure the dosage to start with. If it will help my nerve pain even a little I think I will feel like there really is a God out there...........I just don`t know how much longer I can stand living with this nerve pain that spans my entire hands to my arms with pins and needles and the tight band around the top of my ribs............
blossom
Family Elder

Post by blossom »

lovebug, when reading "tzootsi's" post here about benfotiamine she said it is a high potency b1. i did not realize that and connected the dots to what my primary care dr. had told me.
as said it's worth a shot.
Jimpsull
Family Elder

Post by Jimpsull »

I think jimmylegs credits B1 (as part of a modified Klenner protocol) with restoring function in his hands. I have ordered benfotiamine via Amazon. I'll let you know if I notice an effect. It stands to reason that something that heals damaged nerves would be beneficial to MS patients.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi :) I can't say which component of my modified oral version of the klenner protocol helped to resolve my sensory ataxia / loss of proprioception BUT it is true that vitamin b1 features prominently in the protocol. if i'd known then what i know now i would have asked for tests of everything and been able to see what happened. but, it still wouldn't tell me which element(s) had the most beneficial effect.

at first I did lean heavily toward crediting the b-complex component of the protocol as the reason for the improvement. in hindsight I would give the vit E megadosing some credit as well. (although I didn't know about E8 complex at the time and was using whatever vit E I could get easily. not the best plan. when working to an old protocol it's always best to merge it with more recent knowledge. eg the klenner protocol has nothing whatsoever about vitamin d3).

i don't have good data on my own vit E levels over time.. i'd be lucky to find one serum value in my files, but prior to dx my dietary vit E intake was certainly marginal. for a very long time.

http://neuromuscular.wustl.edu/nother/vitamin.htm#e
Vitamin E deficiency
•Clinical
....>Polyneuropathy
.......>>Sensory loss
............>>>Large fiber modalities
............>>>Sensory ataxia
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Jimpsull
Family Elder

Post by Jimpsull »

I am taking benfotiamine 4 x daily. No step change in function, possibly mild improvement. New neuro at univ Washington gave me some ideas for objective tests. Kitchen Sink strategy is getting expensive.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

what's the total regimen at this stage?
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Jimpsull
Family Elder

Post by Jimpsull »

1. No butter, cheese, red meat, pork, foods with greater than 1/7 of the fat saturated
2. PUFAs - 6 x 2 fish oil, 2 x 2 cod liver oil, 2.6 x 2 EPO, walnuts
3. Alpha lipoic (r and cheap) 500 mg
4. PADMA Basic (804 mg x 3)
5. Benfotiamine ( mg x 4)
6. Milk Thistle 175 mg
7. Vitamin E (1200 IU x 2)
8. B12 500 mg
9. D3 2000 IU
10. B complex multi 100 mg each
11. Creatine 5g with orange juice 50 percent of the time in the morning
12. Curcumin and or Tumeric (500 mg x 3)
13. Zinc (lol) 10 mg
14. Copper 2 mg
15. Niacin 300 mg - 500 mg
16. Inosine 500 mg (1 - 2 x per day)
17. Copaxone (may replace with BG12)
18. Exercise ( trying 20 minutes a day )
19. Stretching (supposed to add, haven't )

May have forgot some. Wrote this from memory.
mtrocine

Post by mtrocine »

I take Benfotiamine for peripheral neuropathy and it definitely does help.
lovebug
Family Elder

Re: Benfotiamine dosage ?

Post by lovebug »

Does anybody have an idea as to what might be a `safe` dosage to at least start taking Benfotiamine on ?