ON recovery, how long did it take you?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
An7164
Getting to Know You...

ON recovery, how long did it take you?

Post by An7164 »

He guys,

Just curious to know how long it took you to recover from ON?

I have it currently and it's been there for 3 weeks. My ophthalmologist says he finds it strange as there is hardly any swelling to the optic disc and he's more surprised that I don't have it on the right side side as he thinks it looks red. According to him it looks like I've had it before.....that's news to me!

He says most people with ON have severe loss of vision and mine is only mild and should resolve on it's own. I feel so foolish for coming of the Avonex.

Any thoughts?
shaight
Family Elder

Re: ON recovery, how long did it take you?

Post by shaight »

mine became better over the course of 4-6weeks. i had it in one eye and they termed it double vision, although i never saw two of anything. if i closed the one eye it was fine. it has only occurred once for me.

don't beat yourself up about the avonex. it may not be connected at all and i'm assuming you can get back on it if you wanted.

good luck!
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

An7164 wrote:Just curious to know how long it took you to recover from ON?
It started to clear up after 3 days of IV solumedrol. However, I noticed decreased color intensity in the effected eye for several months afterwards (sometimes I still experience that even after 12 years). In addition, my eye was sensitive to heat for about 6 months or so. A hot shower or being out in the sun too long would make my vision cloud over. I waited a year to update my eyeglass prescription to give time for my eye to stabilize.

NHE
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

took about 3/4 months for mine....eyesight a year later is 95% normal...(got a bit of yellow tinting and see black as lighter than what it should be but lost all vision in that eye so so so so thankful for what I have now!)
An7164
Getting to Know You...

Post by An7164 »

Thanks guys,

Can you tell me if recovery is something that you noticed gradually or was it sudden?

Thanks
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

Gradual