Head/Neck/Jaw/Back Pain - Have you had this?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
desmalia
Family Member

Re: Head/Neck/Jaw/Back Pain - Have you had this?

Post by desmalia »

Ah. Interesting.
conita

Post by conita »

Desmalia, I have unknowingly had RRMS for the past 10 years. Having been misdiagnosed with fibromyalgia, I have experienced the same symptoms that you describe. My pain seems to magnify for about 3 days after my Avenox injections, and am tearful and sad the rest of the week. I am in my 9th week of injections and am told I am one of the 3% who experience extreme symptoms. The Avenox pharmacist reassures me that these symptoms will go away but could take up to a year.

This is not reassuring, however, and at times I feel like I want to stop the program. But I must say that I do have periods during the last days of my week that produce more energy and abilities than I have had in the past 5 years. There may be a light at the end of the tunnel.

It was encouraging to read about the magnesium and will ask my doctor about it.

Keep me updated, as I really need some support.

Thanks, Conita
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

fyi mag is key for fibro too... a very important nutrient across the board.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
desmalia
Family Member

Post by desmalia »

Thanks for your feedback, Conita. I'm sorry you're experiencing this too. Please keep us updated as to your progress especially if you treat with magnesium. I would not be surprised if it helps you since meds often deplete the body of needed minerals. For me it's not related to any medication (because I'm not on any :) ), but something (not stress) is causing my muscles to be contracted and tight and refuse to just relax. My back and neck are doing better than they were. It's been months since I could use my foam roller on my back and neck because it hurt so much, but now I'm able to use it again. So I'm thankful for that. But the jaw continues on with this sore tightness. Sometimes it feels better for a few minutes, especially when I gently flex the muscles, but then it's worse again. On Wednesday I'm going to have IMS therapy, which involves placing needles into the muscle and delivering a small electric current to encourage the muscle to relax. He has done this treatment extensively, including on many patients with MS. So I'm hopeful that it will help. It's worth a shot anyway!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

any luck on the potassium front, desmalia? it's so weird but i recently heard about someone who died suddenly - a friend of a friend - and the autopsy determined potassium deficiency as the cause of death :S you're taking 50mg a day at this point right? given any thought to ramping it up slowly? (you don't want to go suddenly hyperkalemic, if your problem is indeed partly due to potassium deficit..)
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
desmalia
Family Member

Post by desmalia »

Yikes, that is scary! Though I think with the foods I'm eating I can't imagine I'm hugely deficient. But at any rate I have ramped up to 100mg/day for the past week or so and probably ready to increase that now. I did find a bottle with a higher dose, but it was still 100mg/pill. The higher doses seem to be a bit tougher to find. I will have to check out the "big" health food store that's further away and see what they can get for me. Gas prices are nutzos here right now (Just DROPPED to 35.9!), so I have to be prudent in planning such trips.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

it is :S

have you done the math on your dietary potassium? is it up around 3500-4200mg? if so good :) (i am not sure mine is up that high, it's a lot to get through!)

fyi the only place i can ever find high dose potassium is with the pharmacist, over the counter (but you don't need prescription). they put it away safe, with the other higher dose nutrients like iron for example.
desmalia
Family Member

Post by desmalia »

jimmylegs wrote:it is :S

have you done the math on your dietary potassium? is it up around 3500-4200mg? if so good :) (i am not sure mine is up that high, it's a lot to get through!)

fyi the only place i can ever find high dose potassium is with the pharmacist, over the counter (but you don't need prescription). they put it away safe, with the other higher dose nutrients like iron for example.
Honestly I haven't done the math yet. Math and I don't get along too well, lol. Good to know about the potassium.

Well, it's starting to look like possibly Vitamin C was what I've been needing (I do take some, but maybe need more right now). I've come down with that nasty cold that's going around here. Viruses often like to hide in my muscles for up to several weeks before I finally get sick. So that could be what this is. I should know in a week or two.
desmalia
Family Member

Post by desmalia »

OK, I was wrong about the cold. Glad I waited to see if it was involved though, as viruses can cause muscle issues for me. I had my first IMS treatment today and the muscles in my jaw, neck and upper back were quite achy and spasming with the needles (which is expected and actually a good sign). The next couple of days will tell if it helps to relax them.
civickiller
Family Elder

Post by civickiller »

checkout the chiropractic forums plus search Dr Amir on these forums
desmalia
Family Member

Post by desmalia »

Thanks. Yes, Dr. Amir's treatment does look very interesting. I have a friend who had bad headaches for years and then got braces to try and alleviate them. Took three years of braces and $20,000, but it did the trick for her.

I do have atlas chiro done every six weeks, and it's due for adjustment every time. However it doesn't give me a lot of relief from the neck, shoulder, etc. pain, just helps with my alignment issues.
civickiller
Family Elder

Post by civickiller »

i was reading a book called "The Gateway to 10,000 Illnesses" and as Dr. Amir says, getting the jaw misalignment fixed will also realign C1 albeit slowly