Exercise and MS

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
BooBooPants

Exercise and MS

Post by BooBooPants »

Hello, recently my wife was diagnosed with MS, and as a result we pretty much have no idea what she should be doing in order to keep herself physically fit. She is 33, a new mother, and I am concerned! Does anyone know of any workout "Preferably Aerobic, or Light Free wieght, FREE is preferred as well" that might provide some benefit?
Notdoneyet
Family Member

Re: Exercise and MS

Post by Notdoneyet »

My opinion only, as a 30 year veteran of MS, is exercise as much as you can for as long as you can.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

I agree. Stretch as much as you can as well. It's much easier to maintain flexibility than restore it. In particular, I found hamstrings, calfs, feet,lower back and glutes can be an issue. If you let them tighten up, the fascia will need to be worked on or you can be very uncomfortable.

Regards
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

swimming is a good one because you stay cool
congrats on the baby
tzootsi
Family Elder

Post by tzootsi »

How about bicycling? My wife was dx'd 5 years ago and bikes every day, weather permitting. Also, squats are supposed to be very beneficial.
vesta
Family Elder

Post by vesta »

Swimming is the best because it gets the blood/fluids circulating through the brain, "oxygenates" the brain and keeps the body cool. Avoid anything that tenses up the back/shoulders and neck, that causes body tension in general. Check out CCSVI thread and be aware of blood brain circulation issue.( My info at Ms Cure Enigmas.net)
daverestonvirginia
Family Elder

Post by daverestonvirginia »

I agree with the "exercise as much as you can for as long as you can" statement from an earlier comment. When I first was dx I had a lot of numbness in my feet so I stopped running and switched to bicycling which I still do today. I also lift weights, it’s been seven years now and still going strong. Good Luck
Cilantro
Getting to Know You...

Post by Cilantro »

How about yoga? That's good for both stretching and maintaining/building some strength in a low impact way. I've been doing yoga a lot in recent years, and I've noticed that it's also helped to lessen my back pain.

Plus, diet and stress are two common triggers of MS flares, and yoga is pretty good at helping to reduce/improve stress.
Last edited by Cilantro on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JerseyDan

Post by JerseyDan »

If she runs, I recommend lots of stretching/yoga. There is a free yoga for MS DVD that I received from Biogen. Although once the baby starts walking she will get lots of stretching and aerobic exercise. Good luck.
DougL
Family Elder

Post by DougL »

JerseyDan wrote:If she runs, I recommend lots of stretching/yoga. There is a free yoga for MS DVD that I received from Biogen.
too bad it is only for the US. i would love a copy for my wife.
vesta
Family Elder

Post by vesta »

If experienced yoga masters can control their bodily functions, why not concentrate on preventing the venous blood reflux at the origin of an MS attack? (CCSVI theory) I have found a neck massage forcing the blood down towards the heart is enough to stop an attack for me, and I should have been practicing massage and yoga for years to keep the blood circulating.
andreagwolford

Post by andreagwolford »

Aerobic fitness has a protective effect on parts of the brain that are most affected by multiple sclerosis.a Aerobic exercise enhances the nerve growth factors in MS patients, which increases the volume of the gray matter and increases the integrity of the white matter.As a result there is an improvement in cognitive function. So doing aerobics is really helpful for MSers.
eatright

Post by eatright »

Exercise is a must as well as stretching, but you must also eat right and stay away from all toxins (smoking, diet soda, ECG.). Diagnosed twelve years ago I stopped my medication after two years, started eating right and running, today I run marathons. Also stretch, stretch, stretch.
buygirl
Getting to Know You...

Post by buygirl »

How about bicycling? My wife was dx'd 5 years ago and bikes every day, weather permitting. Also, squats are supposed to be very beneficial.
Is she on a road bike...I was diagnosed 2 months ago, thanks to imbalances on the bike. I still can not ride the way I used to. Might be mental at this point but I would love to feel good and ride the bike again.
ActiveMSers
Family Member

Post by ActiveMSers »

BBPants, if you are looking for exercise advice, you may want to swing over to www.ActiveMSers.org. I designed ActiveMSers to help, motivate, and inspire those with multiple sclerosis to stay as active as possible—physically, intellectually, and socially—regardless of physical limitations. Your wife will find lots of helpful exercise tips and tricks there to get and stay fit. Good luck!

-Dave Bexfield, ActiveMSers