As MS pills debut, doctors prescribe a dose of caution

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
MSUK
Family Elder

As MS pills debut, doctors prescribe a dose of caution

Post by MSUK »

Multiple-sclerosis patients have waited years for the first generation of treatments in pill form. Now that they're becoming available, however, doctors are warning: not so fast.

The pills are easier to take than shots that have long been used to treat the disease. Yet they could have serious side effects, and for patients who are stable on their current regimen, doctors say shifting to pills may not be worth it.

Jill Kider had been anticipating the pills since she began injecting herself daily two years ago with a drug called Copaxone.

Copaxone stopped Ms. Kider's attacks of her multiple sclerosis. But when she travels, it isn't always easy to carry the syringes through airport security or refrigerate them at hotels. Still, a talk with her doctor, Peter Calabresi, persuaded not to take a chance on a new drug.

"I don't have any side effects, and it seems to be working very well for me. Why switch it?" said the 52-year-old from Rockville, Md.

The newest pill, Aubagio, was approved in September. Another, dubbed BG-12 until it is named, could be approved early next year. They join Gilenya, the first pill, which was cleared for use in late 2010.... Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... ageid/2479
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
patticake66
Family Member

Re: As MS pills debut, doctors prescribe a dose of caution

Post by patticake66 »

Why doesn't this woman know that copaxone can be room temp.? It comes packed in ice and then I leave my months dosage in the cabinet. It doesn't always have to be refrigeratored. I wish I could let her know. I am sure it would make her life much easier.
daverestonvirginia
Family Elder

Re: As MS pills debut, doctors prescribe a dose of caution

Post by daverestonvirginia »

And I have never had any problem's carrying the syringes through airport security.