Genetics?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
QuicheLorraine
Getting to Know You...

Genetics?

Post by QuicheLorraine »

I am wondering what role genetics may play in MS. My mother recently died of brain cancer, and my daughter is epileptic. Has anyone else noticed this kind of link? I told my neurologist about it and she was fascinated.
ssmme
Family Elder

Re: Genetics?

Post by ssmme »

I have never heard of this connection. I have autoimmune illnesses in my family plus strange food allergies but no one else has ms - just me. There is celiac disease, graves disease, lupus, hashimoto's thyroidism, crohn's disease which are the one's I know about. My father is allergic to some forms of sausage and to mustard - he breaks out in hives. My brother is allergic to chocolate and cheese - he breaks out in rather large goose egg looking hives. My younger sister is allergic to mushrooms - her throat swells. My older sister is allergic to corn when eaten off the cob - her lips swell up like balloons.

I think they're all a bit better off than me. I would rather have to just carry around an epi-pen instead of a walker.
Marcia
dez2000
Family Member

Post by dez2000 »

Linked to genetics is unlikely. Most health problems are linked to diet. You are what you eat. Processed sugars and junk foods are linked to over 70 health problems.
The study of Dr F R Klenner’s life, as doctor in Reidsville NC is a classic example of a daring pioneer in medicine who chose to cure, not just treat his patients. Let him become your doctor. The Klenner Protocol is his cure for MS. …dez...
QuicheLorraine
Getting to Know You...

Post by QuicheLorraine »

I am not trying to label genetics as a cause, but perhaps to an increased susceptibility.
Froggie
Family Elder

Post by Froggie »

I think there are genes that are specific to MS. What possibly happens is there is a genetic disposition that is triggered by an environmental cause. No one else in my immediate family has MS to my knowledge, but I would bet someone else farther back had it.
QuicheLorraine
Getting to Know You...

Post by QuicheLorraine »

It most likely does not help that I am of Scandinavian heritage either.
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

My mum has hashimotos and my aunt had ms.
On my mum's side my cousin had brain cancer and his brother has epilepsy.
Basically my mum had 2 sisters one had ms and the other one's sons had the cancer and the other epilepsy
cg50in
Getting to Know You...

Post by cg50in »

Genetic factor -My dad had MS, my brother and his daughter have MS and I have MS. I am of Swedish/Norwegian heritage also. Paleo diet has helped me - the environmental factor. No gluten, sugar, legumes and no dairy. I eat Tree nuts, berries, fruits, veggies heavy on the greens, wild meat and fish and of course Vitamin D is important. I eat rice in small quantites and sweet potatoes for my starch fix. Take sups like Vit D3, B12, Fish and flax seed oil, grapeseed extract and daily baby aspirin. Med free and in remission but keeping fingers crossed.