Brain injury doubles MS risk

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Have you had a traumatic brain injury prior to your MS diagnosis?

Yes, I have relapse remitting MS.
37%
Yes, I have primary progressive MS.
5%
Yes, I have secondary progressive MS.
5%
Yes, I have progressive relapsing MS.
No votes
No, I have relapse remitting MS.
16%
No, I have primary progressive MS.
11%
No, I have secondary progressive MS.
21%
No, I have progressive relapsing MS.
5%

Total votes: 19

jerrygallow
Family Elder

Re: Brain injury doubles MS risk

Post by jerrygallow »

I wonder if the issue could be neurotransmitter disruption, like dopamine. Or, could it be damage to a part of the brain that regulates body functions. I think if it were only traumatic injury, then we would not see the vast differences in MS rates. I've never had brain injury, but was in a non-injury car accident a few weeks before my first symptom.
jerrygallow
Family Elder

Post by jerrygallow »

I wonder if the issue could be neurotransmitter disruption, like dopamine. Or, could it be damage to a part of the brain that regulates body functions. I think if it were only traumatic injury, then we would not see the vast differences in MS rates. Do people in Canada have higher brain injuries than people in the Bahamas? I've never had brain injury, but was in a non-injury car accident a few weeks before my first symptom.
hmacoli
Getting to Know You...

Post by hmacoli »

Yes I had two neck's trauma that could be related with MS. One was a car stroke with apparently no more consequences and the other one 3 months before my first and greatest crisis, practising judo.
Greetings

Hugo