Is perimenopause making my ms symptoms worse?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Thekla
Family Elder

Re: Is perimenopause making my ms symptoms worse?

Post by Thekla »

I am trying bio-identical hormones from the US now but I have heard they are available here in Germany. If they help, I will have to find a local source. Maybe your pharmacist friend could find out for you? I have heard a lot about bio-identical being far superior to synthetic---also for thyroid! I took armour thyroid for a while years ago and probably shouldn't have stopped. So, I will be looking into that too.

I hope you are feeling better after your surgery Erika. Greetings from Germany!
Shayk
Family Elder

Re: Is perimenopause making my ms symptoms worse?

Post by Shayk »

Erika....how are you doing? Hopefully better.

Since it seems to germane to the thread topic, I also want to add this quote (from the NMSS report on the AAN meeting earlier this year)
Progression and menopause: Dr. Riley Bove, who is funded by an American Brain Foundation-National MS Society Clinician Scientist Award, gathered information on MS during menopause from 391 women enrolled in a large-scale, long-term study at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston. The results show that progression (measured with the standard EDSS scale) changed at or around menopause toward a more rapid accumulation of disability. The team is following up on this finding; if hormonal shifts are responsible, it may present an opportunity for find a solution for women with MS going through menopause. (Abstract P4.163)
Clearly I think it's better to test your hormone levels before menopause rather than after.

Take care all

Sharon