How Long Does It Take

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Bytemi
Getting to Know You...

How Long Does It Take

Post by Bytemi » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:20 am

If you call your Neurologist office and say you are having leg pains and one leg keeps giving out, how long do you have to wait for an appointment.

I ask because Michelle, the neurologist I was seeing, recently moved to Tennessee and my care has been moved to another doctor in the practice. I called with what Michelle said was bone pain from taking tecfidera. It was not sever at the time she left but now it is getting out of hand. I got an appointment on November 12 to see the doctor.

If you having problems does your doctor ask you to wait for 3 weeks?

lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: How Long Does It Take

Post by lyndacarol » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:23 am

Bytemi wrote:If you call your Neurologist office and say you are having leg pains and one leg keeps giving out, how long do you have to wait for an appointment.

I ask because Michelle, the neurologist I was seeing, recently moved to Tennessee and my care has been moved to another doctor in the practice. I called with what Michelle said was bone pain from taking tecfidera. It was not sever at the time she left but now it is getting out of hand. I got an appointment on November 12 to see the doctor.

If you having problems does your doctor ask you to wait for 3 weeks?
Bytemi, I do not think you should have to wait 3 WEEKS to see your neurologist when you are having a severe symptom – especially a symptom that could be due to a relatively new drug (Tecfidera)!

I suggest that you (and your husband, if possible) see your GP about this bone pain and consider testing for celiac disease; according to the following list from the University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center, "bone pain" is potentially due to celiac disease:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/wp-con ... omList.pdf

If bone pain is a possible side effect of Tecfidera, your physician (one or the other) may want you to stop taking it.

Loriyas
Family Elder

Post by Loriyas » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:39 am

I think you should be a pest and insist they get you in sooner. Remember, when you call you typically are talking to the appointment taker and they usually don't understand the urgency. I find this to be one of the most annoying things about a neurology practice. If you don't get results in a timely manner, then consider switching neurologists in the future. These practices are supposed to have a plan for seeing patients who are experiencing difficulty quickly. If this practice does not, find a new one. (I know you can't switch immediately-for this particular concern-but after you get through this)

Bytemi
Getting to Know You...

Post by Bytemi » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:47 am

Actually I spoke to the appointment taker and then I spoke to the Patient Care Line, which is suppose to be there in cases of urgent problems. I have never had success with the Patient Care Line, because they always want me to go to the ER. The ER, for the most part, is not equipped to deal with MS. They always want to find some other reason of why I am having problems. I miss Michelle, I don't like my new reality.