Jimmylegs...too much vitamin d = ouch?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Squeakycat
Family Elder

Re: Jimmylegs...too much vitamin d = ouch?

Post by Squeakycat »

Anonymoose wrote:
Squeakycat wrote:Hard to read the quote in any other way: "However, vitamin D 25-hydroxy levels do not indicate the amount of vitamin D stored in your bodys tissues. Vitamin D, 1, 25-hydroxy is a better indicator of stored vitamin D . . ."
That's funny...I can't read that vitamin d stores paragraph the way you do and you can't read it the way I do. Language is so imperfect. :)
True, language is very imperfect, but breaking this down:

1. 25(OH)D3 levels do not indicate the amount of vitamin D stored in bodys [sic] tissues.

2. 1,25(OH)2D3 is a better indicator of STORED vitamin D.

The use of the term "better" tells me they are making a comparison between 25OH and 1,25OH as a measure of what is stored in "body tissue."

I can't see any other way to read this. :>)
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Post by Anonymoose »

Squeakycat wrote:
Anonymoose wrote:
Squeakycat wrote:Hard to read the quote in any other way: "However, vitamin D 25-hydroxy levels do not indicate the amount of vitamin D stored in your bodys tissues. Vitamin D, 1, 25-hydroxy is a better indicator of stored vitamin D . . ."
That's funny...I can't read that vitamin d stores paragraph the way you do and you can't read it the way I do. Language is so imperfect. :)
True, language is very imperfect, but breaking this down:

1. 25(OH)D3 levels do not indicate the amount of vitamin D stored in bodys [sic] tissues.

2. 1,25(OH)2D3 is a better indicator of STORED vitamin D.

The use of the term "better" tells me they are making a comparison between 25OH and 1,25OH as a measure of what is stored in "body tissue."

I can't see any other way to read this. :>)
Yep. That's the way I read it too. However I don't jump to the conclusion that just because 1,25OH is claimed to be a better indicator of vitamin d storage, 1,25OH must be what is stored. Doesn't matter. Plenty of folks argue the complete opposite claiming 25OH to be a better indicator.

In your post before this, are you trying to say calcitriol is essential to all cell death and/or inflammation? It seems to me like there could still be cell death and inflammation without its involvement...but maybe it is essential for the death of certain cells. If plain old 25OH is parking in the vdr receptors on those cells, preventing the active form from doing its job, would that not interfere with the body's efforts to fight off the disease?

I don't know and I certainly haven't delved into this nearly as much as or in the same manner you have. I'm a Monet style learner...with Picasso-like ideas. :P You are more da Vinci. I'm not sure our minds will ever meet. Lol

I do know I don't hurt today and I won't be taking any wicked vitamin d for quite some time!
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Post by Anonymoose »

How do we know calcitriol isn't produced for immune purposes as well as calcium regulation? My calcitriol was high but my calcium was normal. So there must be a way to keep calcium in check despite high calcitriol levels. Is my body intentionally producing high levels of calcitriol to keep the circulating 25OH:1,25OH ratio at a certain point...the optimal point for current conditions and needs?

We did agree that our bodies aren't as dopey as some would like to think...is this a case of us being dopey and misunderstanding the body's way of effectively managing disease to be a deficiency/imbalance?

And since I didn't react to vitamin d before rituxan (I did react to calcium in the same way though so calcitriol was likely high (maybe not as high) at that point too...but taking vitamin d didn't make it go higher)...is it possible those who haven't experienced the same alteration won't likely be able to produce adequate amounts of calcitriol to keep the 25OH:1,25OH at the optimal point for disease management?
Squeakycat
Family Elder

Post by Squeakycat »

Anonymoose wrote:[1]In your post before this, are you trying to say calcitriol is essential to all cell death and/or inflammation? It seems to me like there could still be cell death and inflammation without its involvement...but maybe it is essential for the death of certain cells. [2]If plain old 25OH is parking in the vdr receptors on those cells, preventing the active form from doing its job, would that not interfere with the body's efforts to fight off the disease?

I don't know and I certainly haven't delved into this nearly as much as or in the same manner you have. I'm a Monet style learner...with Picasso-like ideas. :P You are more da Vinci. I'm not sure our minds will ever meet. Lol

[3]I do know I don't hurt today and I won't be taking any wicked vitamin d for quite some time!
The answer to question one, as far as I know, is yes. I have specifically looked at this in the context of skin cells. The Cell Replacement Cycle is initiated by calcitriol in response to senescence, infection or injury. In the case of immune cells, calcitriol is the only thing that activates the local adaptive immune response and also deactivates it through Programmed Cell Death or apoptosis. I have also looked at it in the context of endothelial, epithelial and neuroendocrine tissue and it is the only thing initiating the process. But I am FAR from having any expertise in this so I could be completely wrong and there could be other ways these things happen. There is a lot of redundancy in body systems so that if one pathway fails, there is an alternative. I just have not run into one as far as cell replacement or apoptosis.

In answer to your second question, I think the answer is IF plain old 25D is blocking VDRs. I don't that this has been proven. I have spent hours looking through what I think could loosely be described as the Marshall Group's papers on this and find an awful lot of "would, could, may, and might's" with very limited clinical data to back up these assertions. Very frustratingly, when you start tracing citations, they tend to be to papers by others in the same group and the cited source also phrases things as being conditional. None of that is to say that this may not be true, its just that to me, it is unconvincing at this point and I think there may be alternative explanations that are as plausible, if not more plausible.

Based on Hayes' study, it seemed to be fairly widely accepted that something was blocking the VDRs to explain the immortality of pro-inflammatory immune activity in EAE and MS, yet her tests of calcitriol + D3 shows clearly that this is not the case in EAE since if the VDRs weren't functioning, calcitriol would have no effect.

As far as Number 3, this has to be very rare that anyone has a negative reaction to Vit D3, particularly at the relatively low doses you are taking. I wish there were a way to demonstrate for certain that what you are feeling is clearly linked to vitamin D and not something else and thought from some of your earlier posts that your iron deficiency made more sense as the source of the problem. What changed that?
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Post by Anonymoose »

I bet NHE knows the answer to question 1. NHE? You around? :)

So many IFs. They are everywhere...built into supposedly proven science as well. I've not gotten into Marshall protocol too much. When I skimmed up on it, I found it to be too extreme.

Are the vdrs blocked or not? They could be blocked by plain old vitamin d if circulating levels of it were much greater than that of calcitriol. Maybe that's why a mega dose is required for Hayes' protocol to work. Maybe it's the ratio I was talking about before. Maybe Hayes does what the body is trying to do but can't. Is there an equal affinity between both forms of vitamin d and the receptors?

The low iron was the cause of my fatigue and some new/different neuro sx. The vitamin d feeling is a familiar one that I have had repeatedly in the past when trying to take calcium. Maybe I have some weird nerve sensitivity to calcium that let's me feel it when it's high. At any rate, I am not doing anything else to try to prove it's the d that is causing that feeling now. I am 100% convinced and 1000% through with feeling that discomfort!
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi Anonymoose,

I think you are just flogging your kidneys and adrenal system. I'd back off most of the stuff, particularly Calcitrol. see http://www.drugs.com/pro/calcitriol.html .

VDR forms a complex with RXR, the master switch of the thyroid like nuclear receptors. Just leave VDR alone and get some 9 cis retinoic acid from carrot juice to help RXR. I think you will feel better.
I know your view on supplements but after you back off the other stuff will you try some L-arginine? There is so much work if you google MS and arginine worth reading.

Regards
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Post by Anonymoose »

Hi scott1,

I'm indulging myself in a good pout because I can't figure out this vitamin d thing. When I'm willing to google ms stuff again, I'll have to look up the l arginine. I don't think I will try anything new "if it ain't broke." This guinea pig is burnt out.

Thanks for the ideas. :)
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Post by Anonymoose »

Just an FYI
New lab results:
25OH. 24 down from 34 in 3 weeks now LOW
1,25OH. 82 down from 86 still HIGH
Pth. 12. Range 15-65 LOW-not high 1,25oh cause
Calcium 9.2 normal

Iron, ferritin, and rbc all normal now. Will continue to supplement iron at 25mg/day.

Sarcoidosis? Cancer? Gremlins in my osteocytes?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

heya! glad your iron status is getting better! hope you are feeling better for it.

q; what is your actual serum ferritin now? remember unbalanced iron intakes can drive down zinc with possible effects on serum d3 status..

have you seen this?:

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/blog/act ... u-measure/

and for calcium reference purposes:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/240681-overview

maybe a calcium experiment is in order :) calcium foods with serving sizes and % daily value per serving:
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... #foodchart
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Post by Anonymoose »

Great minds think alike...and sometimes feeble minds wind up at the same destination quite by accident. :P I just ate a big bowl of Total cereal with 100% daily value (no calcium supplements in this house!) before I read your post. I see another trip to the supplement aisle. I'm not hypocalcemic but I could contort my mind to think I'm close enough to it for wrong things to be happening...
http://press.endocrine.org/doi/abs/10.1 ... 1627?rss=1
The effects of chronic low calcium to prevent 1,25(OH)2D and PTH stimulation of FGF-23 in these mutant mouse models suggest that suppression of FGF-23 plays an important physiological adaptive response to hypocalcemia.
Fgf23 and klotho are the only non-disease things I have left to play with in regards to my wacko vitamin d issues. Hopefully upping my calcium intake (please don't hurt...please don't hurt) will up fgf23 and shut down my monster truck 1,25OH production. Then I can get back to suppementing d3. I can't believe how much my 25OH dropped. Wow.

Is that what you were thinking?

Oh, I did start supplementing zinc/copper and b complex this week (and e but I'm dropping that...makes me feel weird).

Ferritin is at 22. Iron is at 43. They are still at the low end but it kind of freaks me out that they went up so fast. Wasn't that supposed to be slower?? Also, low iron is conducive to fgf23 production so it might be ameliorating my issue a bit.

And just because I know how much you love uric acid, mine is 3.8mg/dL.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ha funny!

supplement aisle.. I dunno. calcium pills hurt me too. maybe you could just boost calcium foods? a bowl of total a day??!? hehe

basically yes... try to figure out if calcium helps bring things back into line. and then reintroduce the d3.

BAH get that ferritin up to 80 or 90 if you can! you can take your time getting there. could be good to take iron and zinc daily (though not right at the same time each day) for a few weeks and see how you go on.

I *do* love uric acid - you know me so well ;D. 3.8mg/dL that's about 2225 umol/L (a little below the average for an ms patient in remission) and you want to aim for 290-300 to match healthy controls. if you can bring up the zinc level a bit, the uric acid should come along for the ride :)
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
dulceemira
Getting to Know You...

Post by dulceemira »

Important is the D3 level. It s important to do first the test 25 oh d3,to see the level of vitamin d, and then to keep this d3 level up to 100 ng, level who is not considered toxic....I am following a treatment with high doses D3 and I had a lot of improvements...last year I had new lesions, with a lot of new symptoms, but now I am normal again :) .. 4000 ui daily can not cause hypercalcemia, it s not possible...to verify if someone has hypercalcemia, should do the test named calcium in the urine in 24 hours, and also calcium in the blood...It s important, when u take D3 to drink minimum 2 lts water, because these higher quantity of liquids assures a urine volume around 2000 ml which allows calcium dilution eliminated inn the urine and avoids excessive concentration of urinary calcium (as when calcium is diluted it does NOT get deposed in the kidney, preserving renal function). I also did a facebook page about MS and D3...https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vitamin- ... ts&fref=ts
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Post by Anonymoose »

dulceemira wrote:Important is the D3 level. It s important to do first the test 25 oh d3,to see the level of vitamin d, and then to keep this d3 level up to 100 ng, level who is not considered toxic....I am following a treatment with high doses D3 and I had a lot of improvements...last year I had new lesions, with a lot of new symptoms, but now I am normal again :) .. 4000 ui daily can not cause hypercalcemia, it s not possible...to verify if someone has hypercalcemia, should do the test named calcium in the urine in 24 hours, and also calcium in the blood...It s important, when u take D3 to drink minimum 2 lts water, because these higher quantity of liquids assures a urine volume around 2000 ml which allows calcium dilution eliminated inn the urine and avoids excessive concentration of urinary calcium (as when calcium is diluted it does NOT get deposed in the kidney, preserving renal function). I also did a facebook page about MS and D3...https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vitamin- ... ts&fref=ts
I believe this to be true of healthy, non-diseased individuals who have normal nutrient levels. However, there are absolutely conditions in which supplemental vitamin d3 at such levels will cause hypercalcemia...sarcoidosis, for example.

If I were a masochist, I would start up 4000iu d3 per day and get my blood tested when I was at the peak of pain. I'm guessing both my calcium and calcitriol would measure high. I'm not a masochist though. :P

The good news is the calcium isn't hurting me now. :D Hopefully we've stumbled upon the cure for my mysterious reaction to d3.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

glad it's not hurting, anon!
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Post by Anonymoose »

Ooohhh jimmylegs!! Now what?! Supplemented calcium citrate 500mg 2x/day starting the 28th. Last night the kidney ache came back...bilateral. I've been a little fuzzy in the head for a couple of days too. Uuuuh. I'm stuck. Lol.

Should I try the bone maker with only 600mg calcium/day and all the synergistic goodies (but with 1800iu vitamin scary)? Should I back off to 500mg calcium citrate/day? What the heck is going on in there? Have any idea how long increased calcium intake will take to affect calcitriol level? I thought it would be pretty quick but maybe not...

Help!

(Still taking 25mg iron and b100 complex daily)