Alanine

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Alanine

Post by Scott1 »

Has anybody had a good look at Alanine?

As I have noted in the past, I think it is worth looking at the nonessential amino acids for a picture of health.
The two I was really low in when I was sick were Arginine ( so I take L-Arginine) and Alanine. When I recently pointed this out to my doctor he wanted me to go to a place that would charge me $350 to get my levels checked but I'm sick of paying through the nose for every test. He is also of the view that the reason they are low is a bug is scavenging the amino acids. His suspicion is it is the same bug behind Lyme disease which is rare in Australia. He might be right but he wants the test done in Germany and that will cost me $2500. I could go to Germany myself for that!
I've decided to skip to the test, which is very unscientific, and just take some Beta Alanine to see what happens.
As usual, I am still in very good health so this is just playing at the edges for me.

Regards
jerrygallow
Family Elder

Re: Alanine

Post by jerrygallow »

interesting topic. What about the fact that people with fibro and EBV have high levels of this? If there is some overlap between fibro and MS and some link between EBV and MS, is it possible that our problem is not too little but too much? Has anybody taken any and noticed an effect?

I did see a study a year or so ago from South Africa where they gave a small group of people with MS supplements of all the amino acids and after one year, they actually had reversal in their deficits.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Well I have EBV and low Alanine.

I don't know about fibro at all so I can't comment.

Alanine is a precursor to Carnosine which is a peptide that your muscles' use as a defense against the buildup of hydrogen ions during high-intensity exercise. This rise in H+ lowers the pH within muscle cells, negatively effecting enzyme function and muscle excitation-contraction coupling events.
I have often thought the muscle tightness is not just a neurological symptom. If I am low in Alanine and take a supplement perhaps I won't be as inclined to be a bit stiff. Anyway I'll give it a go and tell you if I notice anything.

Regards
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Scott1 wrote:I have often thought the muscle tightness is not just a neurological symptom. If I am low in Alanine and take a supplement perhaps I won't be as inclined to be a bit stiff. Anyway I'll give it a go and tell you if I notice anything.
That's an interesting hypothesis. I would like to know if it helps. I wonder if it would do anything for muscle stiffness due to spasticity?
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

I have taken beta-alanine for the work-out boost. I cant say i have noticed an improvement in my MS
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

I wouldn't think it would solve MS at all. This is just about correcting an Alanine deficiency.
My long held opinion is we need to limit Peroxynitrite to impact MS. We also need to boost the production of ATP and replace iNOS with eNOS. Our intake of retinoids needs to be boosted as well.
The thing about measuring nonessential amino acids is they should read normal and if they don't then you can raise the question about why. Just as we know about low uric acid, vasospasm, fatigue and a range of other indicators as indicators of MS I think we should look at the amino acids. If we are low in the ones we make then something isn't right.
I'll let you know if it makes a difference to me.
As I am really very well this is just an incremental step for me.

Regards
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Well, I have ended the experiment. Boosting Alanine is not a good idea.

When I first started I thought I was on a winner. I felt a little less stiff and very alert but now the opposite is true. I've started to yawn, sleeping is more restless and my neck is starting to tighten which is a clear sign the EBV is on the march. A bit more reading and I would have noted that EBV is worse when Alanine is boosted. Perhaps one of the reasons I stay well is my Alanine is low for some reason and that helps contain EBV.
I am more convinced by this failed experiment that limiting EBV is very important and perhaps a treatment like Rituxan is almost mandatory as part of a protocol.

Give alanine a miss. I am a stupid boy but now I know a bit more.

Regards
Kronk
Family Elder

Post by Kronk »

Kudos to you for trying a novel therapy and then reporting back on your findings. This is MUCH appreciated!

Return to “General Discussion”