brain fog

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
jerrygallow
Family Elder

brain fog

Post by jerrygallow »

Has anybody found a way to beat brain fog? It's one of my most annoying symptoms. I can listen to an audiobook and not remember what it was about two weeks later. I forget the names of people I know. I always of tip of the tongue syndrome. When I'm introduced to someone I just nod. I don't even try to remember the name anymore. Most of the time I don't even remember the face. I know it's not a permanent damage issue because every now and then it clears up for a few hours.

I've tried tons of supplements, b12, ginko, phosphado choline/serine (sp?) B1, B2, B3, folic acid, zinc, magnesium, calcium, DHEA, pregnelone and 20 others I can't remember. Has anyone tried NADH? Fish and flax oil don't help. I just feel like my mind is out of gas and I'm blank most of the time. I catch myself watching movies twice. I saw "There will be blood". Forgot the movie. A friend asked if I'd ever seen it and I said no. I watched it again--got half way through and thought, this seems familiar, but I may as well finish it because I don't know how it ends. I used to not even have to study in high school because I could remember most things by hearing them once.

I know exercise is supposed to help. I do some aerobics but don't see a difference.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: brain fog

Post by jimmylegs »

hi jerry - no fun, I can relate :S used to be *very* forgetful - as in, 'what show am I watching?' when the ads are on.

curious if you have had tests done for any serum nutrient levels recently?
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

Brain Fog is a common symptom for many MS patients. It is most annoying and causes a lot of stress.

My wife (passed away 2007) suffered from this a fair amount and the only relief she got was when she started on the alternative drug Prokarin back in 2001. A number of other symptoms got relieved as well but like all MS medications, it doesn't work for everyone.
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

My Brain Fog is cleared up very well every time I do a niacin flush. The flush only lasts about a half an hour, unfortunately.

Be informed of what happens during the niacin flush: http://www.drdavidwilliams.com/niacin-b ... z2rdVqORst
Niacin has a unique characteristic. If you haven’t experienced it personally, you’ve probably heard about the “flush” niacin can cause. As little as 50 mg of niacin can cause a flush in some people. While not dangerous, it can be uncomfortable, or even alarming, if you aren’t prepared for it. (Personally, I somewhat enjoy the sensation.)

Magnesium foot baths work fairly well every time and for much longer, also.

I think that when I get my magnesium levels up to a healthy level, the brain fog will be gone for good. When I say a healthy level I don't mean the typical "normal" range on the serum magnesium test.

The underestimated problem of using serum magnesium measurements to exclude magnesium deficiency in adults; a health warning is needed for "normal" results.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20170394
Last edited by THX1138 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Aerobic exercise has scientific proof that it helps brain fog and memory----this study showed how the hippocampus actually increased in size 17% in pwMS who practiced aerobic exercise 3 times a week for 3 months. They also had a 53% increase in memory and cognition. It's been the best thing for Jeff. You may not see a difference right away, but stick with it! You can do it.

http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com/2013/11/a ... otion.html

Hope it can help!!
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

I've had brain fog so I know what it's like. At the risk of being boring can I suggest you read my Regimen post "beyond Avonex and Valtrex". It's very long so just go to the section near the end on what to do. I blame it on Peroxynitrite. You can solve this. If the post is beyond your current capacity to absorb it don't worry just try the steps I set out at the end.

Regards
mrbarlow
Family Elder

Post by mrbarlow »

I found cutting out grains really helped. Also loads of sage and brassicas in my diet. Co enzyme Q10. Take an anti histamine with pseudephedrine if you get hayfever
NormB
Family Elder

Post by NormB »

I too suffer from constant brain fog having to take notes for things I want or have to do in five minutes. I remember the bliss of having it disappear when I had my CCSVI with Dr Sclafini in 2010. I spoke in a flowing manner without interrupted thoughts.
Of course I would have another CCSVI intervention and of course I cannot afford the $13,000.00 cost again.

Take Care All

NormB

On affordable LDN now and feeling better physically.
'92 diag RR - '05 SP
On LDN since Sept. 2012 with better quality of life.
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

THX1138 wrote:My Brain Fog is cleared up very well every time I do a niacin flush. The flush only lasts about a half an hour, unfortunately.

Be informed of what happens during the niacin flush: http://www.drdavidwilliams.com/niacin-b ... z2rdVqORst
Niacin has a unique characteristic. If you haven’t experienced it personally, you’ve probably heard about the “flush” niacin can cause. As little as 50 mg of niacin can cause a flush in some people. While not dangerous, it can be uncomfortable, or even alarming, if you aren’t prepared for it. (Personally, I somewhat enjoy the sensation.)

Magnesium foot baths work fairly well every time and for much longer, also.

I think that when I get my magnesium levels up to a healthy level, the brain fog will be gone for good. When I say a healthy level I don't mean the typical "normal" range on the serum magnesium test.

The underestimated problem of using serum magnesium measurements to exclude magnesium deficiency in adults; a health warning is needed for "normal" results.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20170394
Magnesium is a vasorelaxant and i'm wondering if it would relax stenosis if one were to have healthy levels of it. :?: :?: :?:
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

Sufficient Hydration

Sufficient Hydration has been clearing up my brain fog almost entirely.
Whenever I am insufficiently hydrated, I have fog. Drinking substantial amounts of water always helps a lot.
Water intake even reduces CCSVI.
Hydration - more to it than you may think
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-d ... 24479.html