genetics question

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
erinc14
Family Elder

genetics question

Post by erinc14 »

is your risk of ms increased when you have a relative with ms?
euphoniaa
Volunteer Moderator

Re: genetics question

Post by euphoniaa »

erinc14 wrote:is your risk of ms increased when you have a relative with ms?
Yes, there's a higher risk if you have a "close relative." Here's a quote from the NMSS, along with a link:
http://www.nationalmssociety.org/about- ... index.aspx
MS is not directly inherited, but genetics play an important role in who gets the disease. While the risk of developing MS in the general population is 1/750, the risk rises to 1/40 in anyone who has a close relative (parent, sibling, child) with the disease. In families in which several people have been diagnosed with MS, the risk may be even higher. Even though identical twins share the same genetic makeup, the risk for an identical twin is only 1/4—which means that some factor(s) other than genetics are involved.
There are countless discussions here at TIMS if you do a general "search." I have a first cousin with MS, and both my dad and another cousin have HNPP. I've been told I have both. :smile:
Dx'd with MS & HNPP (hereditary peripheral neuropathy) 7/03 but must have had MS for 30 yrs before that. I've never taken meds for MS except 1 yr experiment on LDN. (I found diet, exercise, sleep, humor, music help me the most.)
erinc14
Family Elder

Post by erinc14 »

okay thanks .
Brainteaser
Family Elder

Post by Brainteaser »

For the mathematical gifted, if there is 1 in 40 chance of the brother of a man with MS, also having MS (which has happened with a friend) what would be the probability of a third brother also getting MS? He is a bit worried as you can imagine.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Brainteaser wrote:For the mathematical gifted, if there is 1 in 40 chance of the brother of a man with MS, also having MS (which has happened with a friend) what would be the probability of a third brother also getting MS? He is a bit worried as you can imagine.
I can't tell you the odds. However, it would be good for the third brother to see if the first two had any commonalities in their lifestyle and to avoid those behaviors and/or dietary choices. My advice would be the same for a person with CIS, i.e., act as if. For example, avoid smoking (whether 1st, 2nd, or 3rd hand), limit ethanol consumption, limit saturated fat, avoid trans fat, get lots of omega-3s, eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies, and consume anti-inflammatory foods such as green tea, turmeric, etc. and maintain a good exercise regimen.