9 yr old niece with seizures...MS family link?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
cam

9 yr old niece with seizures...MS family link?

Post by cam »

I have MS, but haven't yet told my family, just needing time and figuring out how to best do it. However just recently my 9 year old niece has had a number of seizures - "out of the blue". Is aware of them coming on and during - seems mainly to affect her right side - leg/arm. Recent blood and CT scans haven't turned anything up, awaiting EEG results and seeing a children's neurologist. Could there be a connection? From what I could find, seizures are not common in MS, but if her neuro would benefit in knowing there is a family member with MS - I will definitely tell them. I just was wondering if anyone has any more info or just some good advice. I appreciate any tid-bits you could send my way.
Thanks!
Cam
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: 9 yr old niece with seizures...MS family link?

Post by lyndacarol »

cam wrote:I have MS, but haven't yet told my family, just needing time and figuring out how to best do it. However just recently my 9 year old niece has had a number of seizures - "out of the blue". Is aware of them coming on and during - seems mainly to affect her right side - leg/arm. Recent blood and CT scans haven't turned anything up, awaiting EEG results and seeing a children's neurologist. Could there be a connection? From what I could find, seizures are not common in MS, but if her neuro would benefit in knowing there is a family member with MS - I will definitely tell them. I just was wondering if anyone has any more info or just some good advice. I appreciate any tid-bits you could send my way.
Thanks!
Cam
I have a couple thoughts and questions for you, cam.

I wonder if your doctor's first step was to rule out a vitamin B12 deficiency when you were diagnosed in 2002 with MS; if not, I encourage you to discuss with him the possibility of doing testing now. Request testing orders for your niece as well. Consider asking your 9-year-old niece to accompany you and have the testing done also (or perhaps this was already done in her bloodwork – seizures can be a symptom of B12 deficiency). With 1 blood draw, 3 tests can be done: #1 serum B12 test; #2 serum folic acid test; #3 serum homocysteine test. A urinary methylmalonic acid (uMMA) test is also done to confirm a diagnosis of B12 deficiency in the blood.

I highly recommend this 50-minute documentary featuring Sally M. Pacholok, RN, BSN & her husband Jeffrey J. Stuart, D.O. (authors of the book, Could It Be B12? An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses); Lawrence Solomon, M.D., hematologist with Yale Medical School; Ralph Green, M.D., hematologist at UC Davis; and Donald Jacobsen, PhD, at the Cleveland Clinic (Homocysteine Research Lab):

"Everything You Want Your Doctor to Know about Vitamin B12"

In the book, Could It Be B12?, page 300, "Appendix G: Signs and Symptoms of B12 Deficiency in Infants and Children" one of the entries is "seizures."

In the following 5-minute video, a pediatrician speaks about finding a B12 deficiency in a 9-month old baby; one of the symptoms he mentions is "seizures."

Last edited by lyndacarol on Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Good advise? Definitely tell them immediately.
cam

Post by cam »

Thanks for the great info and advice, much appreciated! I was diagnosed with Vit B12 deficiency and pernicious anaemia around the same time as MS. I had a series of B12 injections until levels good then on oral supplementation since - levels still seem to be holding (sorry no #'s on hand). I will forward those video links to my brother to ensure my niece has had her levels checked, etc. Looks like this is the "moment" I was waiting for to get my "butt in gear" and have the talk with my family.
Stay well everyone and enjoy the summer wherever you are!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi and welcome cam

how odd! b12 deficiency and pernicious anemia should have ruled out MS as a dx.. did the docs clarify why you ended up with all three dxes?

also, this won't be comforting reading wrt your niece, but possibly useful anyway:

A National Profile of Childhood Epilepsy and Seizure Disorder
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/c ... /256.short
"Children with current reported epilepsy/seizure disorder were significantly more likely than those never diagnosed to experience depression (8% vs 2%), anxiety (17% vs 3%), attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (23% vs 6%), conduct problems (16% vs 3%), developmental delay (51% vs 3%), autism/autism spectrum disorder (16% vs 1%), and headaches (14% vs 5%) (all P < .05)."

for each of depression, anxiety, adhd, asd, and headache there is a cross cutting spectrum of suspect nutrients.

Is there an Association between Blood Nutrient Levels and Depression? A Systematic Review
http://www.synergypublishers.com/jms/in ... e/view/516

Essential elements in depression and anxiety. Part I
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 4014000875

Assessment of Infantile Mineral Imbalances in Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASDs)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3863885/

curious if you have looked into any other nutrients for your ms, besides b12? such a learning curve :)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
cam

Post by cam »

Thank you "jimmy legs" for such in-depth info/links. You are very passionate about information! I try to follow some of your recommendations from your previous posts...I do take supplements for my general health (and MS) - multi-vitamin, B12, Vit d, zinc/copper supplement, omega 3's - last year have avoided dairy, gluten, added more fresh, organic, raw ingredients, avoid GMO's and processed foods wherever possible. So I am slowly becoming for proactive and now it looks like I will be letting my immediate family know about my MS, just so that will allow a more complete family medical history for my niece. Now to look into all those links you sent....thanks again fro your help!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi there, sounds like you are doing lots of good things! (i'm curious about what you do to ensure optimal magnesium status though!) ;)
i hope the links provide some good useful insight and info :D
i'm still curious how and whether the docs distinguished your ms dx from your b12/pa dx. i'm also super curious whether you've had a pca test since working to improve your total nutrition status.
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
want2bike
Family Elder

Post by want2bike »

Dr. Bergman has a video explaining autoimmune disease and how to treat it.

cam

Post by cam »

You know I haven't pursued the Vit b12/PA thing - once the MS was "singled" out - No one really talks about it much now...I will look into it more - so much to learn/know. I will check into the PVC test also. I forgot to note I do have Mag supplement also - have it with a calcium as well as in the multi bit/min.
Thanks a bunch!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

yeah same here, except i was told that my o-bands and brain lesions weren't consistent with b12 deficiency. found out since however, that you can indeed have brain lesions with b12 deficiency, and that o-bands as an indicator of chronic inflammation are just that. i'd actually love to know if i still even have csf o-bands at all. if i felt like going for another LP that is. said no jimmylegs ever :S

re pvc test - did you mean pca (parietal cell antibody)? given your recent regimen it would definitely be interesting to see past and current results of that one.

can you tell me a little more about your cal/mag supplement? forms, dosage per pill, number of pills per day? do you know how much mag is delivered per day via your usual diet?

Return to “General Discussion”