calcitriol tests

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
ribeye
Family Member

Re: calcitriol tests

Post by ribeye »

Is the injectable form more potent at similar doses compared to oral, and is it tolerated better at very high doses? The male mice got a huge dose and did not seem to suffer from it. Of course, people vs mice might not correlate exactly with dosing.

I just despise ms and always look for another weapon against it.

Thanks to all who are trying this.

Ribeye
Squeakycat
Family Elder

Re: calcitriol tests

Post by Squeakycat »

ribeye wrote:Is the injectable form more potent at similar doses compared to oral, and is it tolerated better at very high doses? The male mice got a huge dose and did not seem to suffer from it. Of course, people vs mice might not correlate exactly with dosing.

I just despise ms and always look for another weapon against it.

Thanks to all who are trying this.

Ribeye
Ribeye,
Looking at the pharmacokinetics of the IV and oral forms, the only difference is that that IV form reaches a peak level slightly faster than the oral. The Area Under the Curve (the total amount absorbed) is the same for both forms. In theory, to the extent that it is the peak level that determines the efficacy of calcitriol, the IV form might be slightly better.

Even better would be if the calcitriol could be given intrathecally since that would allow a significantly lower dose since it would not need to cross the Blood Brain Barrier. I haven't found any studies where calcitriol has been administered intrathecally though so I don't know that this would even be possible.

As far as translating a murine dose to humans, the standard formula uses surface area rather than weight to do this calculation and means that the per kilogram dose in humans is 0.833 per kg dose given to mice. This is a very imprecise science, but it provides a starting point for testing the effective dose. The dose of calcitriol I used in managing calcium in cats with renal insufficiency was roughly the same as the dose used in humans on a mcg/kg basis. But when I translated the human dose of an anti-epileptic drug, the canine dose turned out to be 3X the human equivalent on a mg/kg basis while the feline dose was roughly 1/3rd the human dose.