Sex Headaches and MS. Related?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
turkeyghost

Sex Headaches and MS. Related?

Post by turkeyghost »

So for the past week, this has happened three times. I have been diagnosed since January 2013 and luckily no flare ups since. But lately when my boyfriend and I are intimate, I develope a severe headache that starts near the base of my skull and radiates up behind my eyes. Two of the times, it went away after I had an orgasm but the last time, a mild headache stuck around afterwards. This is extremely concerning me as everything that has to do with head pain lately does. I tried calling my Neuro several times but they are doing staffing changes over there and haven't ever receieved a call back. Tried my GP also but he is also gone. Has anyone else had this? It has me worried that I'm getting a lesion or flare up.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Sex Headaches and MS. Related?

Post by Scott1 »

Your question is a very important one as it goes to the heart of relationships with other people. Again, there is a risk of giving in to a label like MS without looking further into underlying, treatable issues. The longer you can have a loving and warm relationship with someone else the better. When it's gone then it may never come back as emotions are complex but they are real . It's a tough and lonely world when you have lost honesty in your interactions with others (from either side). Really treasure and protect it it, as you will miss the warmth of a friend when you need it.
I suspect your problem is akin to a tension headache trigger such as described here- http://saveyourself.ca/articles/spot-01 ... pitals.php .
It probably needs to be treated regularly by pressure point massage or dry needling the back and nape of the neck on a regular basis to treat the underlying tightness. Please try not to blame MS for this. Treat the symptom as a stand alone phenomenon and deal with it as such.

Regards
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i agree - when i get a headache i look first to hydration or mineral imbalance. my worst headaches have been associated with physical exertion but more in the sports settings. are you physically active and have you ever gotten a similar headache in any other circumstances? my headaches do not radiate up from the back - i wonder if your back and neck muscles are tight? if so, there is a lot you can do for cramping muscles, to see if it helps.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Kronk
Family Elder

Post by Kronk »

Agree as well. The other thing is that during intimacy blood flows change, increases to some areas and depletion in others. Maybe get your BP checked to see if its low or high.
Moragh
Getting to Know You...

Post by Moragh »

God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time.
Robin Williams
Punchy
Family Elder

Post by Punchy »

Interesting. It very likely is something else, but I will say two of the three major relapses I've had started after sex. Both were vertigo.

I have also noticed that before every relapse I experience terrible neck pain that's very similar to a tension headache. In fact, this was how I was diagnosed - I had an awful neck ache so I went for a massage. About an hour later the right half of my body went numb, and I thought they pinched a nerve. I spethe night in the ER, eventually got and MRI and a diagnosis.

I just had a relapse last week and sure enough, terrible neck pain for a day before.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Did you experience any altered sensation in the soles of the feet or in the fingers, hands or arms when the headache was apparent?
Punchy
Family Elder

Post by Punchy »

Hi Scott, not sure of your question was for the OP or me, but I'll go ahead and answer.

No tingling, no electric shocks down the neck or back. Just an achey, painful neck. I get that same neck pain with fevers and when I am vaccinated.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi Punchy,

It was for you. I was asking to check for referred symptoms which would suggest a more general inflammation. I would probably try a good massage regularly with someone who can do a bit of lymphatic drainage as well. Probably a trained professional such as an osteo or a myotherapist. You may just have bone out of place somewhere.

Regards
Punchy
Family Elder

Post by Punchy »

Thanks! I do see a regular physio and chiro. Unfortunately any massages in the neck area causes major vertigo, which my neuro speculates is my brain stuck in a biofeedback loop from a previous relapse.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Maybe those professions might help. Academically they know the theory. I'm just find them expensive and not much use. Remedial massage from a proper sports myotherapist might help. Don't trust someone from the 'burbs. They need a really good touch.

Regards
Jerzy
Getting to Know You...

Post by Jerzy »

turkeyghost wrote:...when my boyfriend and I are intimate, I develope a severe headache...
I hypothesize, that in sweat and odour of your boyfriend there are specific haptens, which can get into your blood while inhaling. Foreign haptens in blood can cause headache, MS and many other autoimmune diseases.

I'm co-author of a theory about haptens --- the cause of MS and all autoimmune diseases.

The theory was published in medical journals.

March 26-30, 2014 I was participant of 9th International Congress on Autoimmunity, Nice, France and I presented there my poster and a video:
POSTER: http://www.haptens.pl/images/20140322nice.pdf
VIDEO:

Return to “General Discussion”