Ebola Concerns While on Immunosuppressants?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
NatyAZ

Ebola Concerns While on Immunosuppressants?

Post by NatyAZ »

Is anyone else concerned about Ebola while on immunosuppressant's to treat MS? I was diagnosed with MS about a month ago (although my doc says I have probably had it for about 10 years) and am about to start Tecfidera for treatment. I know the purpose of treatment is to suppress the immune system so it stops attacking the nervous system. Now, with the growing cases of Ebola, and hearing the possibility that it will become much worse - I am wondering if it's the best idea to start my MS treatment right now? Maybe I should keep my immune system strong right now?

Anyone else concerned about this? I don't want to be paranoid, but I don't want to regret this later.

Thanks,

Natalie
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Ebola Concerns While on Immunosuppressants?

Post by ElliotB »

Frankly, at this point, you should be more concerned with not catching a cold or the flu.
BadKittyCat
Family Member

Post by BadKittyCat »

I have thought about it to. Unfortunately, the best defence against Ebola is to NOT GET IT as it is deadly regardless of your health. Therefore, I concluded for myself to take the meds (I just switched to Tefidera) as I will feel better with less relapses and more able to keep away!
NatyAZ

Post by NatyAZ »

Thank you for your responses. I guess the idea of suppressing my immune system freaks me out, it just seems so unnatural. Hopefully we can all stay healthy this cold/flu season! :)
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

" I guess the idea of suppressing my immune system freaks me out"

I felt the same way which is why I chose Copaxone which does not suppress the immune system.
Kronk
Family Elder

Post by Kronk »

ElliotB wrote:" I guess the idea of suppressing my immune system freaks me out"
I felt the same way which is why I chose Copaxone which does not suppress the immune system.
Agreed!

Return to “General Discussion”