Requesting accommodations at work

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
mmpetunia
Family Elder

Requesting accommodations at work

Post by mmpetunia »

Hi all,

I have been contemplating asking for workplace accommodations for about a year now. Today it is on my mind because I called in sick to work because I had that heavy lead-filled body feeling. I get it frequently--once or twice a week and it's a real struggle to make it through the day when I feel that way. The rest if the time I just feel fatigued but not enough to make me stay home. It's really hard because my lack of energy is taking my enjoyment and motivation for working away even thought I really like what I do. I am otherwise doing fine with no physical signs of MS.

I think that's why this feels so hard because I keep thinking that I should be able to suck it up, or that I am being lazy. I am also struggling with how I will be perceived at work if I do disclose. What I would like to request is more flexible hours and the opportunity to work from home on some days. Currently, I work in an office but I do about 8 home visits a week. I already have some scheduling flexibility but I feel like I need more. Some days I just can't get myself going so early in the morning but could be very productive from home for a few hours, then come in, or just work that day from home instead of calling in sick. Or, I could work the whole day in the office if I can start 1-1.5 hours later.

I have a few questions for board members, I'm hoping some of you have been through this and can offer some insight:

1) What were the circumstances that led to you requesting accommodations? Return to work after relapse? General fatigue (like me)?
2) What did you do to prepare for making the request and who did you speak with?
3) Are you happy with the results (have the accommodations made it easier for you to continue working)?
Dx: 9/8/11 RRMS
OMS diet plus lean poultry
Tecfidera as of 8/21/2014
18+ brain lesions and 6 spinal lesions
EDSS 1.5-2
http://mylaceybrain.wordpress.com
syckbastid
Family Member

Re: Requesting accommodations at work

Post by syckbastid »

I telecommute on Fridays; it had helped tremendously. If you are in US, we are protected under Americans w Disabilty act, which mandates "reasonable accommodations." So long as you've been employed at your current job at least 6 months, it's worth investigating. Best of luck.
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

I don't think I can remember what it's like to be able to work. I remember when I "disclosed". It was kind of funny: one HR person just looked at me and asked "How long have you got?" I hadn't just told her I was going to die, but she took it that way. We have to remember that, as obvious as it may seem to us, a lot of people have no idea what MS is. But in a sense if I had known, I would have said "A couple of years." I'm glad I quit working before I had to: it meant I had a chance to enjoy what was left of my walking, etc. Stuff that is gone now.

You should take all the quality of life you can get; that, for some, might be working. For others it might not. Be happy if you have a choice.

I remember now: the last time I assumed the stress of a commitment to do any work, I had a heart attack.

Now, very often, I start talking, and everyone else in the room takes that sound to mean there has been a pause in the conversation, and someone must interrupt me like I didn't exist. I think it is a way of saying to all the other well persons, "Don't worry, I will fill this gap in our joint conversation before this unwell person holds the floor so long that one of us becomes embarrassed by the halting speech."

Thinking back: it was a mistake to disclose. It's not about what's legal but what is likely. Humans are extremely quick to take any advantage you give them, regardless of fairness or legality. It may be harder than it's worth to assert your rights. It may be better to remain quiet. Makes you sympathize with rape victims, doesn't it?
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
mmpetunia
Family Elder

Post by mmpetunia »

Syck,

How did it go when you asked to work from home on Fridays? Did that come about as an accommodation or just something that went along with your position?

I work in a nonprofit that provides intensive case management to clients who are at risk of being institutionalized or are currently institutionalized but want to live in the community. We have a handful of clients with MS and social workers in general are a pretty accepting bunch so I'm not necessarily afraid that they will make assumptions about me. I think of all the places I could be this may be one of the best for requesting accommodations. But it's still a really difficult choice for me.
Dx: 9/8/11 RRMS
OMS diet plus lean poultry
Tecfidera as of 8/21/2014
18+ brain lesions and 6 spinal lesions
EDSS 1.5-2
http://mylaceybrain.wordpress.com
syckbastid
Family Member

Post by syckbastid »

I work in Healthcare IT, so I can do 99% of my job remotely. They were aware of my condition years before this change was made and all of my reviews were excellent so there wasn't any issue.
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

Hello X,

Thank-you for your note and feedback. FYI, I am also no longer working at companyX. Although it is disappointing to hear about your experiences, I am not surprised as it takes time for a large organization to make change fully felt by all employees. companyX is a good company and I am sure they will get there! Best of luck to you,

Y

On 3/6/13, 12:46 PM, pwmsX wrote:
--------------------
New SVP HR xxxxx says she is a diversity advocate, and is "increasing job opportunities for people with disabilities". Plus, companyX is "taking a leadership role" in the creation of ESA (Employers Supporting Abilities) where Ms xxxxx will have the position of Chair of ESA for 2 years.

Ms xxxxx also professes to currently manage pro-diversity programs, such as team of "Diversity Champions", to promote diversity and inclusion in the company.

These are laudable, to be sure, but how close is this to the reality here, at the individual store level? I have worked for companyX for over two years now, as a part time cashier. For the most part, I enjoy my job. My co workers and direct managers are generally supportive and empathetic, some even warm and encouraging! There are rare exceptions, but they can generally be overlooked.

However, the one exception that has become exceedingly difficult is the store manager, xxxxx. I am called to his office on a depressingly regular basis (approximately every 8 weeks) only to be told the same thing each time. I am the 'slowest' cashier, causing he claims HIS managers to chastise him, for the store's poorer statistics. I have explained over and over again, that this is due to my Multiple Sclerosis. My hands will only operate so fast, since accuracy is tantamount! This has never been kept hidden, as I have always been completely upfront about my diagnosis.

So then, why must I be continually remonstrated for this established fact? It is hurtful and degrading to be constantly in a defensive position, against those with whom I have always been completely honest? I truly am doing the very best I can, to do my job as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Perhaps Ms xxxx has yet to have her full desired impact on the company, but I can assure you that life as a disabled employee here is markedly different than the utopia she describes!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today is a good day for persons with disabilities:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

March 9, 2015

NDP MP CELEBRATES PROTECTION FOR PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES

OTTAWA – Today, NDP MP Mike Sullivan (York South—Weston) was proud to witness the coming into force of the spirit of Private Member’s Bill (C-541), that he first introduced in 2013. Thanks to his efforts, persons with mental or physical disabilities will now be protected from hate propaganda by the Criminal Code of Canada.

“As a father and grandfather, I was appalled to hear about the family of a 13-year-old boy with autism who received a letter telling them to move, or have their son euthanized,” said Sullivan. “I was more shocked to learn that these hateful actions are not prohibited under the Criminal Code, so I pressed for immediate action.”

The government adopted Sullivan’s initiative in subsequent legislation, which comes into force today. Richard Burelle, Executive Director of Autism Society Canada, supports Sullivan’s efforts and results.

“As Canadian citizens, people with disabilities deserve to be protected against hate crimes,” said Mr. Burelle. “They have the right, just, like you and me, to live free from worry about persecution. We wholeheartedly support Mr. Sullivan’s initiative.”
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)