Allergic to copaxone after over a year of injections?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Allergic to copaxone after over a year of injections?

Post by Youarethecure »

So, I recently have had an allergic reaction to something that made me break out a little with hives, painful ankles, and a feeling of a small lump in my throat. I have also become itchy on my ankles (symptom of my ms) and a lot of the rest of my body too. I recently started using a new deodorant and soap in the shower, but I stopped both of those last night so hopefully it was one of them.

Now that aside, I am worried I may have became allergic to copaxone. I have done 190 injections (3 times a week) as of yesterday. I have never had more than the "normal" reactions and side effects from the copaxone.

Is it possible to become allergic after being on it? I don't take shots on thursday and friday and that's when I feel the allergic reaction started. The shot went fine yesterday but it was pretty red and inflammed after I did it. I found that weird because it was a very easy painless injection. I am doing another one tomorrow so I will monitor how it goes. I also have taken benadryl and that has been helping a lot.

I am not down with any of the other drugs out there, and I am worried about what I will do if it is the copaxone. It is really making me worry.

Thanks for any insight,

Chris
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Allergic to copaxone after over a year of injections?

Post by ElliotB »

I suggest you contact Shared Solutions immediately.
aetex
Family Member

Post by aetex »

I was having some allergic type site reactions for awhile with copaxone. My neurologist prescribed daily singulair, as there is some anecdotal evidence that it can help with injection reactions. It did help, but changing my injection depth actually completely stopped the reactions and I am no longer taking the singulair. It might be a good place to start though.
The thing I would be concerned about is the lump in your throat.. was it swelling in your throat similar to a mild anaphylaxis? This could be very dangerous. However, after over a year of injections I wouldn't blame copaxone immediately. You very well could have come into contact with a plant, food, or animal that is causing the symptoms or you could have the hives and coincidentally a simultaneous sore throat for whatever reason...
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Post by Youarethecure »

I am hoping (praying) it was from the new soap or deodorant or whatever else and not the copaxone.

I have played with the injection depth a lot and have gotten it down very well. I do not get bad site reactions any more other than random times for whatever reason.

It all definitely seems related because the itching and hives and throat all got better after benadryl.

Now for whatever reason with all this, my freaking neuropathic itch has returned to my left ankle and foot. That IS the worst thing I have ever had to deal with. It drives me crazy.
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Post by Youarethecure »

So I did my shot about an hour ago and everything seems fine.

Now I did wake up today with an itchy belly button..... lol and it seems to be broken out with hives. I am touching or doing something wrong somewhere but it doesn't seem to be the medicine thank god.
Froggie
Family Elder

Post by Froggie »

Unfortunately, it is not uncommon to have allergic reactions especially at the injection site on this drug. I used to keep a tube of cortisone cream close by, as I always had hives, especially on my thighs. I was on Copaxone for nine months then switched as I was a non-optimal responder. Once I switched the reaction went away.
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Post by Youarethecure »

I am not getting hives around the injection site. The hives seem to be random I guess. I woke up today with an itchy belly button and the bottom of my left foot itchy. Both places have broken out with hives now. I am just so confused as to what this could be. Yesterday I was off copaxone and it doesn't seem to be getting worse since I did my shot a couple hours ago. I really don't feel like it is the copaxone.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,
I tend to agree with you that it is probably not Copaxone. It would be strange to do 190 injections and then become allergic. (not impossible just unusual)
Have you tried keeping a diary of what you're doing to look for patterns? Does the injection have to be that frequent? If you wind it back a little does it make a difference? Do the reactions occur at a particular time? Have you changed your bedding, laundry detergent etc?
This warning from the FDA is also worth noting given your symptoms - http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/.../UCM296204.pdf
"In addition, dyspnea, hypersensitivity, and urticaria were among the most common adverse reactions leading to discontinuation of Copaxone. Therefore, it is misleading to imply that Copaxone is not associated with risks such as those mentioned above."
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Post by Youarethecure »

Yes, it is 3 days a week 40mg injections.

I have narrowed it down to 6 things it could possibly be.

1 Copaxone. Where does copaxone go in our bodies? Why would I break out in spots other than where and when I inject it? How could it even relate to my bellybutton being itchy when I woke up today? I didn't even do it yesterday, I did it Saturday.

2 New deodorant. Already changed it.

3 new bar of soap. Already changed it.

4 Peanut allergy that I guess I became allergic to over time maybe? I have been eating peanuts recently, including last night. Stopped that as well.

5 Taking too much Vitamin C? I was fighting off a little cold and I was taking a lot (a lot) of extra vitamin C. Is that possible?

6 Going fishing and touching something along the way that did it.

I am going to monitor it the next few days and go see a doctor later in the week if it keeps up.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

I'm clueless.

Check the bedding (maybe). It may not be something you ingest or apply to yourself.
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Post by Anonymoose »

Youarethecure wrote:Yes, it is 3 days a week 40mg injections.

I have narrowed it down to 6 things it could possibly be.

1 Copaxone. Where does copaxone go in our bodies? Why would I break out in spots other than where and when I inject it? How could it even relate to my bellybutton being itchy when I woke up today? I didn't even do it yesterday, I did it Saturday.

2 New deodorant. Already changed it.

3 new bar of soap. Already changed it.

4 Peanut allergy that I guess I became allergic to over time maybe? I have been eating peanuts recently, including last night. Stopped that as well.

5 Taking too much Vitamin C? I was fighting off a little cold and I was taking a lot (a lot) of extra vitamin C. Is that possible?

6 Going fishing and touching something along the way that did it.

I am going to monitor it the next few days and go see a doctor later in the week if it keeps up.
Have you increased your salt intake along with the vitamin c? There is a salt/c protocol that allegedly kills parasites (and Lyme) and/or sends them out of your body any way they can go. Maybe they are going out through your feet and belly button? Long shot but anything is possible.
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Post by Youarethecure »

The bedding is the same it always has been.

I have not increased my salt, at least not a lot.

I am stumped as well lol. As long as it is not the copaxone, it is not a big deal.
Loriyas
Family Elder

Post by Loriyas »

I had hives for a period of time after I had been on Copaxone for a couple years. Never was determined if it was Copaxone or not. But I believe I ruled everything else out. My PCP gave me a prescription for an Epi Pen just in case I found my throat start to swell. It never did. Soon after the hives went away and never came back. Still keep Epi Pen with me though..
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Post by Youarethecure »

Where were the hives in relation to the shots you would take?

Are you still on copaxone now?
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Post by Youarethecure »

Well whatever it is, I did something with it last night. I am worse than I have been yet. I am going to the ER now.