Cheap Provigil alternative?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Cheap Provigil alternative?

Post by CureOrBust »

A number of people use Modafinil (ie Provigil) to reduce symptoms. Some wish to use it, but find that it is too expensive. I recently stumbled across the following information while looking into another topic.

I am NOT recommending or even suggesting anyone try the below, just highlighting the fact. I personally will be sticking to Modafinil manufactured for human consumption. This is a research chemical.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorenol
Fluorenol
Eugeroic
A study published by chemists working for the biopharmaceutical company Cephalon to develop a successor to the wakefulness-promoting agent (or eugeroic) modafinil reported that fluorenol was 39% more effective than modafinil at keeping mice awake over a 4-hour period.[citation needed] It is a weak dopamine reuptake inhibitor with an IC50 of 9 μM, notably 59% weaker than modafinil (IC50 = 3.70 μM) despite being a stronger wakefulness-promoting agent, potentially making it even less liable for addiction.[6] It also showed no affinity for cytochrome P450 2C19, unlike modafinil.[7] No human trials have yet been published as of 2014
It can be purchased from the following site (one of many) that sells it for about $25 for 2G which by my estimation is about 20 doses.
http://www.ceretropic.com/buy-hydrafinil/
1eye
Family Elder

Re: Cheap Provigil alternative?

Post by 1eye »

A friend of mine was on a clinical trial for a different drug, I think r-modafinil. Anyway the r- and l- prefixes for different molecules stand for right and left, indicating the handedness (or chirality) of the molecule. RIght-handed versions of patented molecules like modafinil are commonly tried, just in case they have similar effects in humans. What they don't know, and therefore can't tell you, is that most living beings do not use right-handed molecules, and these drugs are very unlikely to have the intended effect.

But they'll keep trying, especially with a high-priced drug such as modafinil. I have heard the US forces use it to keep fighter pilots awake. After Reagan broke their union, commercial pilots probably can't afford it.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

Post by notasperfectasyou »

For some reason that isnt entirely clear, Kim's Blue Cross BLue Shield CareFirst health plan, doesn't want to cover Modafinil anymore. Is there a less expensive way to get it in Canada or is there a less expensive drug that MS patients are taking now?
It would be really nice to be able to put links in here

If I have included a bad link, google the word "Scholar", click link for "Google Scholar". Search for the name of the paper and author in Google Scholar.
Kiyaan
Getting to Know You...

Post by Kiyaan »

I've tried Modafinil, Vyvanse, Dexedrine, Adderall, and Ritalin and for the most part, the only thing I got from these drugs was a feeling of being on edge and jittery. I have been taking ALCAR (Acetyl-L-Carnitine) with moderate success. I feel like it gets me closer to normal than any of the other agents I have tried. I still feel fatigued, but I am at least able to get the job done. I have been taking it now for a few months during which I also wrote a few standardized tests, and if my improved performance on the tests (relative to last year) is an indication, I can rule out the placebo effect.

I should note that on most days I take 1000mg, sometimes 2000mg; I also experimented with different brands, and my experience is that buying the "right" brand makes a difference.