Insurance no longer covering Amphetamine for MS fatigue.

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
standingtall
Family Member

Insurance no longer covering Amphetamine for MS fatigue.

Post by standingtall »

As I write this, I am so wiped out I can barely function. I have been taking the generic Dextroamphetamine SR 15mg for over 3 years for fatigue. It works well for me. Now they will no longer cover it, and I can't really afford to pay out of pocket.
They say they no longer cover any stimulants for ms fatigue. is anyone else dealing with this or have any suggestions? Help!
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Re: Insurance no longer covering Amphetamine for MS fatigue.

Post by CureOrBust »

I tried Dexamphetamine (NB Not dextroamphetamine) 5mg caps to help with exercise. I was surprised how cheap they were. For 100 non slow release 5mg tablets, they were only $20. Maybe SR's are much more expensive. If you have a script, many countries will allow you to self import from a cheaper online pharmacy. Check with your local legal entities, as it is a heavily controlled substance which is often abused.

Another option is to try Nootropics. Many of these have stimulatory effects, and can be bought in bulk from eBay.

Also have a look at:
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-d ... 26487.html
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-d ... 26425.html
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

I use two modafinil tablets a day. The USAF use it to keep pilots awake. The approved indication is for narcolepsy. If it has the desired effect on you, don't take it after 6pm unless you want to be awake all night. Not addictive, just annoying sometimes (you talk a lot...).

If I were you I'd stay away from crystal meth.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
Bluebird99

Post by Bluebird99 »

So sorry to hear this!

I was diagnosed with ADD Many yrs ago,as an adult, so I guess I will be able to still get it.
I saw a shrink at about 36 when going thru bad divorce and needed antidepressant.he also checked for physical things that could make me depressed and found low thyroid and ADD.so you may be able to get script from a psych or gp- for the cognitive effects of MS along with fatigue and or do Effexor or Wellbutrin.

I tried Provigil or nuvigil as my drs wanted to lower my adderal dose and or switch to it.
At starting dose it gave me an Initial headache and eye pain in my bad eye that had optic neuritis last year- so I quit taking it AND cause it did nothing for my energy really- only slight effect. The pamphlet says it could have these headache/eye effects. It could be because I also take dopamine for Parkinson's disease and therefore elevated my blood pressure or something.

Good luck!