Well, optic neuritis is setting in.... yayyy

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Well, optic neuritis is setting in.... yayyy

Post by Youarethecure »

So I became allergic to copaxone and haven't taken any medication in 3 months now. I have been feeling really great overall for the past few months. I still feel good but I have the pain and what not with my left eye. It is slowly starting to go blury as well.

I recently took an extremely high stressful job.... Yeah yeah I know, was really stupid. I took over managing a restaurant that was very poorly set up and ran. I am ok now, but the first couple weeks were insane with all the stuff I had to fix.

I am worried that this is the start of an episode and it will be more than just my eye getting bad. At the very least I am using this to gauge how I will do without meds. I am over a year out of any relapse so I am "due" to have an issue. Right around this time of the year is when I usually have flare ups.

I do not have all the usual symptoms during a relapse I have normally. Heat problems, fatigue, etc. But this could just be the beginning.

I am hoping its just a quick easy optic neuritis issue and not a full blown episode. If I have even 1 more issue I am going to see my doctor and start new treatment. I am truly hoping I just pushed my self too hard and itll resolve fairly easy and quickly.

I guess this is just me venting my worries.... haha

Chris
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Well, optic neuritis is setting in.... yayyy

Post by ElliotB »

I am sure you will agree that nothing is more important than your health and that you may possibly need to find a totally or more stress free profession.
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Post by Youarethecure »

The job is fine now, the whole store is set up and ready. The first week or two was just too much.

Does anyone know of other treatment options out there aside from steroids to help this? It has gotten pretty bad but I still will deal with this over going on a steroid treatment again. Would something for nerve pain help? Or anti-inflammatory stuff?

The pain is pretty bad, so I am taking ibuprofen every 6 hours or so.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Perhaps you should talk to your doctor about Lyrica.
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Post by HappyPoet »

I'm taking Levetiracetam (genric for Keppra) for bilateral ON pain, and it has saved me from scratching out my eyes. My dose is 1,000 mg tablets, up to 2 tablets twice a day as needed.

I've been on Lyrica for a long time for neuropathic pain (electrical zings and burning) on my torso and legs, and it never helped my ON pain; however, it might help others with their pain.

Good luck.
Tif
Family Elder

Post by Tif »

Hi Chris,

Would you consider the marijuana capsules or edibles? They help on soo many levels.

Best of luck to you.
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Post by Youarethecure »

Thanks everyone.

I know I should talk to my doctor lol. I am being stupid.

I haven't done edibles in a while.... but I smoke weed every day. I have for 10 years now. I feel it definitely helps me on many levels as well. I am just kinda a pot head though. Only 2 years into being diagnosed.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi Chris,

This will sound left field. If you have nerve pain it will probably come from one of two sources (excluding compression). Either you have the nerve blistering as in a cold sore or shingles or you have something awry with the synapses along the neuron and the signal from the neurotransmitter is awry.
Have you been tested for herpes family viruses such as EBV or herpes simplex? It might be worth trying valacyclovir if you are positive to them (probably you are). That would control a nerve that's blistering.If it doesn't work there's nothing lost. Perhaps it might help.
Painkillers might help but they wont address a cause.
Regards,
Tif
Family Elder

Post by Tif »

The capsules and edibles I get make a HUGE difference. Are you in a state with $dispensaries$?
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Post by Youarethecure »

Thanks for the info scott.

I live in Florida, so no not yet…… But I know enough people to get anything I would need
Tif
Family Elder

Post by Tif »

Have you been able to try anything made by way of 'Rick Simpson Oil' (RSO) process....if you want to say, since it's illegal there....