Loss of pain sensation

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Poe

Loss of pain sensation

Post by Poe »

I've had ms for roughly 5 years. About 2 years ago I was taking apart a rusty old jeep and cut my hand pretty bad. I never felt any pain. I didn't even know it happened until my hand was covered in blood. It started with my hands and has since spread to most of my body. I don't feel any pain on my skin at all. I can still feel touch. And sometimes when I get burnt or cut it itches. I've googled it several times and can't find anything. Has this happened to anyone else?
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Loss of pain sensation

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

What you have described is not that unusual. There is a risk you are attributing it to a sign of MS. I wouldn't jump to that conclusion as you don't have to have MS to experience that.

Regards,
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Re: Loss of pain sensation

Post by HappyPoet »

Dermatomal (skin) sensations of pain/itch/touch follow several spinal cord pathways to and within the brain. Loss of dermatomal pain can be caused by a lesion(s) in the thalamus and primary cortex -- a lesion(s) which could now be 'active' as indicated by the recent increasing area of skin involvement.

Just in case, you might want to call your neuro who might want to order a brain MRI with contrast, but even if an MRI isn't possible, your neuro might conclude, based on your current symptoms and history, that the cause is MS activity.

Good luck.