about high dose vitamin D treatment

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: about high dose vitamin D treatment

Post by jimmylegs »

yup i get why you need it for d3 interactions but have never delved into coimbra details and didn't know it had, then removed, k2.

it was an nd in van, somewhere on west broadway, who started me down this whole path in the 90s, ages before i was dxd w ms. showed me how to put an end to recurrent UTIs without abx. the original break from mainstream medicine :)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
shadowfax
Family Member

Post by shadowfax »

Forgot to include K2 240mcg/day. The other vitamins on the list were recommended by the naturopath.
Still looking for an answer on the consistency and makeup of D3 taken by others on here?
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

shadowfax wrote:Forgot to include K2 240mcg/day. The other vitamins on the list were recommended by the naturopath.
Still looking for an answer on the consistency and makeup of D3 taken by others on here?
Sorry, consistency and makeup of D3??
Albany 2010. Brooklyn 2011
Hayes inspired Calcitriol+D3 2013-2014
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
DrG B12 Transdermal Spray 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
Low-Dose Immunotherapy 2015-16
My Current Regimen http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens-f22/topic25634.html
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
shadowfax
Family Member

Post by shadowfax »

The compounding pharmacy told me they had never done this before. when I took D before starting this higher dosage
the drops where clear slightly thicker than water. Now its almost a syrup that cannot be dropped and has to be taken
with a syringe.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

just googled my own description... first result http://www.vitacyclix.com/Products/Vita ... fault.aspx ...
all they should have to do for the unaltered one is dispense.
for 4000 IU my compounding pharmacist mixed with olive oil (as noted before, i did have to correct his math however as his first try would have come out to 40K iu per day)
vilnietis
Family Member

Post by vilnietis »

shadowfax wrote:Forgot to include K2 240mcg/day. The other vitamins on the list were recommended by the naturopath.
Regarding supplements. My doctor is neurologist and she says that K2 shall not be taken. She proposed to avoid taking any other supplements except vitamins below (under protocol) x3 per day:

Choline.................................120mg
Magnesium Chelate......... .........100mg
Riboflavin B2...........................60mg
Zinc Chelate............................5mg
Folic Acid...............................1mg
Vitamin B12............................500mcg
Chromium Picolinate.................150mcg
Selenium..............................100mcg
In.......................................01 opaque capsule

Regarding magnesium. More than 500mg per day can cause constipation and weaken the immune system. So 500mg of magnesium is just a right dose.
Fish oil (I take flaxseed oil instead) are also very recommended, 1g x3.
Vitamin D from 50,000IU to 110,000 UI and that's all supplements we really need under this protocol.

EXCESS vitamins, i.e. A and E can cause problems and accumulates in the liver.
Many takes calcium for example, but excess calcium blocks vitamin D.

Last night I tried to investigate if any biomakers in CFS or blood can show how MS will progress or what is severity of my MS. I'm interested if I'm doing well just because not severe MS or because of 70,000IU vitamin D I take. I didn't relapsed in one year time. One more year without relapse and my future prognosis will be very bright. I found trials contradicting and didn't find any trial confirming that CFS and blood levels can predict the progress or severity. Does anyone know if it is possible to identify MS severity based just on CFS and blood biomakers?
However, I found many trials drawing a conclusion that vitamin D levels predicts MS progression (98 trials here):
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?ter ... rogression

I checked my vitamin D level two days ago. My level is ridiculously high!!!
D(25-OH) 1279.0* nmol/L (75 - 107)
PTH 9.45* ng/L (15 - 65)

I 'm not saying that I'm very comfortable by seeing such high vitamin D, but it has been so for 6-8 months now. You missed a lot by not seeing the face of nurse, which presented me the results ... :D
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

vilnietis wrote: Choline.................................120mg
Magnesium Chelate......... .........100mg
Riboflavin B2...........................60mg
Zinc Chelate............................5mg
Folic Acid..............................1mg
Vitamin B12............................500mcg
Chromium Picolinate.................150mcg
Selenium..............................100mcg
In.......................................01 opaque capsule
Folic acid does not equal folate. Folic acid is synthetic and is not metabolized well. The unmetabolized folic acid suppresses the immune system and also blocks the function of true folate. With no other comments on the rest of your regimen, you would be better off using methyl folate.

See the following presentation for more information.
shadowfax
Family Member

Post by shadowfax »

K2 or not to K2. I was under the impression the vitamin had directional qualities such as
adding excess calcium to bones rather than soft tissue.
vilnietis
Family Member

Post by vilnietis »

In theory, K2 shall prevent calcification in soft tissues, but if vitamin D doses are not higher than 20.000IU or 30.000IU.
In high doses, like > 50.000IU K2 doesn't work. At least latest news from other patients are that Coimbra doesn't give it. Some still takes it. There are different opinions. This is why it is required to follow low calcium diet in high doses ;)
shadowfax
Family Member

Post by shadowfax »

About two weeks into this and have noticed considerable stomach bloating. Anyone else experienced this and
if so what did you do about it...
shadowfax
Family Member

Post by shadowfax »

I think I've narrowed down the stomach swelling to magnesium. Anyone else had this issue or perhaps an
explanation other than some kind of allergy?
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

shadowfax wrote:I think I've narrowed down the stomach swelling to magnesium. Anyone else had this issue or perhaps an
explanation other than some kind of allergy?
What form of magnesium are you using? If it's magnesium oxide, then you might want to try either magnesium citrate or magnesium glycinate.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

bump
TeresaL
Family Member

Post by TeresaL »

I did Dr C protocol for 2 yrs, it helped stop attacks but didn't improve the neuro damage Now I am doing LDN, think it is helping, took it yrs ago shouldn't have stopped :-/