MRI scheduled for possible MS

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Linda1616

MRI scheduled for possible MS

Post by Linda1616 »

Hi there! I have an MRI scheduled for next week to test for possible MS. I don't think I have enough symptoms to point to MS, but apparently my doctor does! The symptoms my doctor knows about are:
- weakness and pain in right fingers, wrist and arm. Seems like carpal tunnel but it is in my pinky as well and two doctors both say it seems to be coming from my neck (I pass the carpal tunnel tests they did on me)
- tingling in both feet that creeps up lower legs at time. Has moved to my right butt as well and is overall worse on right side.
Symptoms my doctor doesn't know about (because I didn't think much of it)
- 2 years ago when I was pregnant with my son every time I would wake up for about 2 months I would have blurry vision in my right eye up to a half hour. This happened again a few months ago but would happen at random times during the day. I went to the we doctor and they said dry eyes. I was also driving the other day and was at a stop light and felt like the road was being pulled away, felt nauseous. This has not happened again since.
- random "zaps" of pain in big toes, legs, back. Not all the time, just randomly.

Sorry this is long! I was just very surprised when I got a call for a full spine and brain MRI. I have no balance issues it seems. Have any of you been diagnosed with few symptoms?
Linda1616

Re: MRI scheduled for possible MS

Post by Linda1616 »

I should note I was its tested for B12 which is normal, thyroid is normal (have hashimotos currently managed) and lupus ruled out.
euphoniaa
Volunteer Moderator

Post by euphoniaa »

Linda1616 wrote: Sorry this is long! I was just very surprised when I got a call for a full spine and brain MRI. I have no balance issues it seems.

Have any of you been diagnosed with few symptoms?

Hi Linda, and welcome! In my case, after a lifetime of weird little episodes that didn't seem to connect, I finally decided that I should try to get my wayward body into the healthiest shape I could. If I was going to have to drag it around for the rest of my life, I should make it easier on myself.

So, I started a strenuous daily exercise program (of my brain, body, & my sense of humor), added a very healthy diet, started making sure I got plenty of sleep. And, after 15-20 years of that, I was the healthiest I had been in my whole life the day of my diagnosis -- at age 52. The only symptom I reported was a tiny tremor in one finger.

However, the physiatrist who diagnosed me noticed abnormalities in my reflexes, etc., & sent me for MRIs. Lotsa lesions, & instant MS diagnosis!

I often caution newcomers not to get bogged down in lists of symptoms, since each of us has a completely unique set of them -- plus, we often have additional medical conditions that cause some of them. I have so many (including carpal tunnel, a hereditary peripheral neuropathy, & on & on) that even my neuro says we'll never be able to identify which come from MS.

So yes, I was diagnosed with few symptoms at the time. Now almost 14 years later, age has caught up with me, but MS is still pretty far down on my list of complaints. It's very possible that your doctor found clues during your exam that you hadn't noticed -- like mine did.

I still recommend optimizing one's health through diet & exercise in the meantime. It can only help, whether you have MS or not. Good luck to you! :smile:
Dx'd with MS & HNPP (hereditary peripheral neuropathy) 7/03 but must have had MS for 30 yrs before that. I've never taken meds for MS except 1 yr experiment on LDN. (I found diet, exercise, sleep, humor, music help me the most.)
euphoniaa
Volunteer Moderator

Post by euphoniaa »

P.S. FYI - Linda, I deleted your duplicate thread in another forum since I had already replied to it here.
scsi
Getting to Know You...

Post by scsi »

If you have MS, MRI will show it, because you could have damage in your myelin, and not feel any real symtopms at all.
thisiswater
Family Member

Post by thisiswater »

scsi wrote:If you have MS, MRI will show it, because you could have damage in your myelin, and not feel any real symtopms at all.
If this is the case and my neuro has said "LP now or another MRI in 6 months", I'm wondering what I should do! He seems to be pushing for the LP (lumbar puncture/spinal tap).
scsi
Getting to Know You...

Post by scsi »

I would go for another MRI ;]
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

Both the 2 MRIs and MRI+LP are following the requirement for two clinical tests separated in time and space (meaning findings in separate parts, new lesions, etc.).

I'd go for the two MRIs, if I were you. Painless. Live your life. Don't be in a hurry to get diagnosed. Once you are, you will not like what it does to your relationship with the world. For one thing, you will no longer be insurable.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

"Once you are, you will not like what it does to your relationship with the world."

Not everyone has this experience.

"For one thing, you will no longer be insurable."

No longer insurable for what?

Return to “General Discussion”