Spinal Tap now v. MRI in 6 mos.

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
thisiswater
Family Member

Spinal Tap now v. MRI in 6 mos.

Post by thisiswater »

I've posted a version of this question elsewhere, but it was buried in another thread. Thought I'd lead with the lead this time!

My neuro wants to confirm possible MS. He has 2 MRIs, one from 2009 and one from late 2015. He's suggested to me: LP now or MRI in 6 months. What would you do and why?
1eye
Family Elder

Re: Spinal Tap now v. MRI in 6 mos.

Post by 1eye »

MRI. It's painless. 6 months is a very short time. What could you gain from having a definite diagnosis sooner? You could lose a lot. Live your six months like they were your only six months. Hope for the best, expect the worst and what you really get may be a pleasant surprise.
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

What did the two earlier MRIs reveal? Was there any indication of MS? If the last one was in 2015 is there a reason to believe that another now would reveal anything different?

The spinal tap is not something I would recommend for entertainment. It is unpleasant and can have side effects.

What are your symptoms? Also are they periodic or do the persist long term?
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Post by Youarethecure »

I agree with them. Spinal taps are not fun. I am pretty sure I got a ridiculous, HORRENDOUS headache for a few weeks after my tap 7 years ago. I wasn't diagnosed back then but I assumed the headache was MS.... and now after having many symptoms none are the same as that nasty headache.

It would seem as there isn't enough on your 2 MRI's to diagnose MS? Why would the doctor assume there will be in 6 months from now?

best wishes,

Chris