Why should I take DMDs? Not being rhetorical (x-post MSWorld

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Re: Why should I take DMDs? Not being rhetorical (x-post MSW

Post by HappyPoet »

For Copaxone users:
IPIR - Immediate Post-injection Reaction:

* Happens when medication is mistakenly injected into a vein (instead of tissue) and goes directly to heart within ~30 seconds. While scary, is not life-threatening. Symptoms can last up to ~30 minutes and include flushing, anxiety; feeling hot, faint and/or weak; chest tightening. For safety, sit or lay down if symptoms start.

* To prevent IPIR, injection must be done manually, without the Autoject. After inserting needle, pull back a bit on plunger. If blood is not seen in syringe or on skin, inject as usual. If blood is seen in syringe or on skin, remove needle, discard syringe, and start over using new syringe and new injection site.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Why should I take DMDs? Not being rhetorical (x-post MSW

Post by ElliotB »

I use the Autoject exclusively and have not had an IPIR in the 3 years of using Copaxone.

"Happens when medication is mistakenly injected into a vein (instead of tissue) and goes directly to heart"

If you use only the recommended injection sites and use the correct injection depth, it would be very difficult at best to hit a vein IMHO (keep in mind I am not a doctor and could be wrong). It is my understanding that IPIRs are a rare occurrence.