A-10 year case study of a doctor on high dose vitamin D

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Post Reply
PointsNorth
Family Elder
Posts: 683
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:00 pm
Location: LeftCoast Canada
Contact:

A-10 year case study of a doctor on high dose vitamin D

Post by PointsNorth » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:21 am

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... -13461.pdf

From Grassroots health.

Her website: Dr. Barb Van A, DDS PhD website. She's had MS since the mid-70s and cured herself using a hi dose of vitamin D.

http://www.vitamindandms.org/

All this Anecdotal Evidence is frustrating me!
Albany 2010. Brooklyn 2011
Hayes inspired Calcitriol+D3 2013-2014
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
DrG B12 Transdermal Spray 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
Low-Dose Immunotherapy 2015-16
My Current Regimen http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens-f22/topic25634.html

User avatar
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator
Posts: 1485
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:00 pm

Re: A-10 year case study of a doctor on high dose vitamin D

Post by Scott1 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:24 pm

Hi,

I looked on that page and somehow missed the link. I did find this instead - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26286698

"Patients with MS had a lower increase in 25(OH)D levels with supplementation, even after accounting for putative confounders."

Isn't why does that happen the central question ?

Regards,

PointsNorth
Family Elder
Posts: 683
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:00 pm
Location: LeftCoast Canada
Contact:

Re: A-10 year case study of a doctor on high dose vitamin D

Post by PointsNorth » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:21 pm

Scott,

I tried both of the links again and they work as advertised. A few years ago I did genetic testing and I was found to be homozygous for the VDR Taq mutation. Since then I found another person with MS who also has this mutation. I suspect that most if not all people with MS have this mutation requiring them to take high doses of vitamin D to reverse the course of MS.

PN
Albany 2010. Brooklyn 2011
Hayes inspired Calcitriol+D3 2013-2014
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
DrG B12 Transdermal Spray 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
Low-Dose Immunotherapy 2015-16
My Current Regimen http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens-f22/topic25634.html

MStranslate
Family Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:15 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: A-10 year case study of a doctor on high dose vitamin D

Post by MStranslate » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:56 pm

PointsNorth wrote:Scott,

I tried both of the links again and they work as advertised. A few years ago I did genetic testing and I was found to be homozygous for the VDR Taq mutation. Since then I found another person with MS who also has this mutation. I suspect that most if not all people with MS have this mutation requiring them to take high doses of vitamin D to reverse the course of MS.

PN
The entire Vitamin D story and MS is obviously very interesting and there are lots of studies coming out at the moment. In terms of the VDR Taq mutation, it will be interesting to see how this looks across different populations. I know in some locations they have found that the mutation wasn't found in large numbers in people with MS, but this isn't necessarily true everywhere.

The other question posed was why don't people with MS respond to Vitamin D supplementation? Again, this is a great question, but not a simple one to answer. Trust me, as an MS researcher, I know exactly how frustrating it is that there are never any simple answers to these questions! Some studies have certainly shown that high-dose Vitamin D supplementation does increase the levels in people with MS. One in particular from the start of the year not only showed that, but also showed that it had an impact on certain cells of the immune system that are implicated as causing damage in MS. You can read the summary of this study on our website:

http://www.mstranslate.com.au/vitamin-d ... treatment/

Happy to answer any other questions on this and keep contributing to this discussion! I'm reading a study at the moment about a new publication from a group in Sydney, Australia that indicates another potential role for Vitamin D. Watch this space!
Brett Drummond

MS Researcher/Science Communicator/Co-Founder of MStranslate
www.mstranslate.com.au
Facebook: www.facebook.com/MStranslate

User avatar
CureOrBust
Family Elder
Posts: 3367
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:00 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: A-10 year case study of a doctor on high dose vitamin D

Post by CureOrBust » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:42 pm

Just for clarity and differentiation from Coimbra, the treatment spoke of is 10,400IU

PointsNorth
Family Elder
Posts: 683
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:00 pm
Location: LeftCoast Canada
Contact:

Re: A-10 year case study of a doctor on high dose vitamin D

Post by PointsNorth » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:49 am

MStranslate wrote:
PointsNorth wrote:Scott,

I tried both of the links again and they work as advertised. A few years ago I did genetic testing and I was found to be homozygous for the VDR Taq mutation. Since then I found another person with MS who also has this mutation. I suspect that most if not all people with MS have this mutation requiring them to take high doses of vitamin D to reverse the course of MS.

PN
The entire Vitamin D story and MS is obviously very interesting and there are lots of studies coming out at the moment. In terms of the VDR Taq mutation, it will be interesting to see how this looks across different populations. I know in some locations they have found that the mutation wasn't found in large numbers in people with MS, but this isn't necessarily true everywhere.

The other question posed was why don't people with MS respond to Vitamin D supplementation? Again, this is a great question, but not a simple one to answer. Trust me, as an MS researcher, I know exactly how frustrating it is that there are never any simple answers to these questions! Some studies have certainly shown that high-dose Vitamin D supplementation does increase the levels in people with MS. One in particular from the start of the year not only showed that, but also showed that it had an impact on certain cells of the immune system that are implicated as causing damage in MS. You can read the summary of this study on our website:

http://www.mstranslate.com.au/vitamin-d ... treatment/

Happy to answer any other questions on this and keep contributing to this discussion! I'm reading a study at the moment about a new publication from a group in Sydney, Australia that indicates another potential role for Vitamin D. Watch this space!
@ MSTranslate - Check out the forum: Coimbra High-Dose Vitamin D Protocol - This Is MS Multiple Sclerosis Community: Knowledge & Support

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/coimbra-h ... tocol-f57/
Albany 2010. Brooklyn 2011
Hayes inspired Calcitriol+D3 2013-2014
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
DrG B12 Transdermal Spray 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
Low-Dose Immunotherapy 2015-16
My Current Regimen http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens-f22/topic25634.html

MStranslate
Family Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:15 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: A-10 year case study of a doctor on high dose vitamin D

Post by MStranslate » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:04 am

PointsNorth wrote:
MStranslate wrote:
PointsNorth wrote:Scott,

I tried both of the links again and they work as advertised. A few years ago I did genetic testing and I was found to be homozygous for the VDR Taq mutation. Since then I found another person with MS who also has this mutation. I suspect that most if not all people with MS have this mutation requiring them to take high doses of vitamin D to reverse the course of MS.

PN
The entire Vitamin D story and MS is obviously very interesting and there are lots of studies coming out at the moment. In terms of the VDR Taq mutation, it will be interesting to see how this looks across different populations. I know in some locations they have found that the mutation wasn't found in large numbers in people with MS, but this isn't necessarily true everywhere.

The other question posed was why don't people with MS respond to Vitamin D supplementation? Again, this is a great question, but not a simple one to answer. Trust me, as an MS researcher, I know exactly how frustrating it is that there are never any simple answers to these questions! Some studies have certainly shown that high-dose Vitamin D supplementation does increase the levels in people with MS. One in particular from the start of the year not only showed that, but also showed that it had an impact on certain cells of the immune system that are implicated as causing damage in MS. You can read the summary of this study on our website:

http://www.mstranslate.com.au/vitamin-d ... treatment/

Happy to answer any other questions on this and keep contributing to this discussion! I'm reading a study at the moment about a new publication from a group in Sydney, Australia that indicates another potential role for Vitamin D. Watch this space!
@ MSTranslate - Check out the forum: Coimbra High-Dose Vitamin D Protocol - This Is MS Multiple Sclerosis Community: Knowledge & Support

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/coimbra-h ... tocol-f57/
@PointsNorth - thanks for the link, I will certainly give it a look! I hope I wasn't out of place in entering into the discussion? I just thought that it helped answer a couple of questions that had been raised.
Brett Drummond

MS Researcher/Science Communicator/Co-Founder of MStranslate
www.mstranslate.com.au
Facebook: www.facebook.com/MStranslate

PointsNorth
Family Elder
Posts: 683
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:00 pm
Location: LeftCoast Canada
Contact:

Re: A-10 year case study of a doctor on high dose vitamin D

Post by PointsNorth » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:15 am

Always welcome MSTrans!
Albany 2010. Brooklyn 2011
Hayes inspired Calcitriol+D3 2013-2014
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
DrG B12 Transdermal Spray 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
Low-Dose Immunotherapy 2015-16
My Current Regimen http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens-f22/topic25634.html

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post