Lipoic acid may provide ‘inexpensive’ MS treatment

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Re: Lipoic acid may provide ‘inexpensive’ MS treatment

Post by CureOrBust »

Vivianne766 wrote:That's the question. Are you supposed to note anything in only 2 weeks?!!!
My guess is NO.
Some treatments may only show changes over the long term, however, I have one symptom that can improve (or worsen) over a day. The paresthesia in my feet can notably decrease over a day, and i have used it in the past as a quick yardstick for the effects on adding supplements. Not the most scientific or accurate, but it is something for me specifically.

Also, my point is that I also had no negative effects that had been reported such a stomach issues, as reported by others.
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

I would not expect results at 2 weeks. But I'm posting my experience so other people might know what to expect, like stomach aches, and strange smelling urine.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

David1949 wrote:I notice that urine smells strange when using ALA. Its a similar smell to that which comes after eating asparagus.
That's due to the presence of sulfur in lipoic acid.
Vivianne766
Family Elder

Post by Vivianne766 »

Interesting. I know exactly what you mean by changes that happen only in a few days. Keep checking on your condition daily. I hope you will see some improvements soon.
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

I've been taking Alpha Lipoic Acid since 4/20, about 3 and a half weeks ago. My physical condition has deteriorated noticeably since then. I need my cane to walk even short distances inside the house now. I don't know if this is due to ALA or just the natural progression of the disease. But I am going to stop taking it for a while and see if things improve.
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

Well it looks like part of my walking problem was due not to my deteriorating MS condition but due to the deteriorating condition of my foot brace. Apparently the rubber hinge had stretched a bit and was not lifting my foot as much as it is supposed to. I made some corrections to fix that and now my walking is somewhat better.

So I'll resume taking ALA but only 600 mg per day.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

I took R-lipoic acid many years ago. I had stopped for a long while, but recently started back up again. I've been taking 200 mg Na-R-lipoate/day, 100 mg in the morning and another 100 mg before bed. I've been doing this for about 45 days. While I haven't noticed any great effect on my MS symptoms, I have noticed that I've lost a bit of weight over that time and I don't have much at all to spare. Not much else has changed over this time period so I may have to back off the lipoic acid as I really can't afford to lose any more weight. Has anybody else experienced this weight loss effect?