Update on biotin clinical trials in MS

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
MStranslate
Family Member

Update on biotin clinical trials in MS

Post by MStranslate »

We have published a new summary to our website outlining the updated results of the biotin clinical trials in MS. These results were presented at the recent AAN conference in Vancouver.

http://www.mstranslate.com.au/biotin-ms ... ls-update/\

Additionally, I will be conducting an interview with the Chief Medical Officer involved in this study. If you have any questions that you would like me to ask during the interview, please feel free to submit them below and I'll do my best to ask them.

Thanks,
Brett Drummond

MS Researcher/Science Communicator/Co-Founder of MStranslate
www.mstranslate.com.au
Facebook: www.facebook.com/MStranslate
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Update on biotin clinical trials in MS

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

If they believe it activates the Krebs cycle and activates acetyl-CoA , do they have a view on what inactivated them?
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

The questions I have off the top of my head are:
  • * What type of Biotin are they using? ie out of the 8 different stereo isomers.
    * Have they looked into combining it with other compounds believed to assist the Krebs cycle, which may further the benefits? eg ALCAR, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, lipoic acid, pantothenic acid.. (after a quick google search)
Vivianne766
Family Elder

Post by Vivianne766 »

Great questions. I'm very interested.
Thank you. Happy cinco de mayo. I hope 2016 will be the year for some answers and solving problems.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

CureOrBust wrote:
  • * Have they looked into combining it with other compounds believed to assist the Krebs cycle, which may further the benefits? eg ALCAR, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, lipoic acid, pantothenic acid.. (after a quick google search)
Perhaps we should also add adenosylcobalamin to the list which is a cofactor used in producing succinyl-CoA.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

I had some sub-lingual dibencozide, I was wondering what the difference was with methylcobalamin. And now I think they are all gone. Doh!
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

CureOrBust wrote:I had some sub-lingual dibencozide, I was wondering what the difference was with methylcobalamin. And now I think they are all gone. Doh!
Dibencozide is another name for adenosylcobalamin. Essentially, it's a form of B12 found in the mitochondria which has an adenosine group attached to it instead of a methyl group. The following review paper goes into more detail. http://www.jbc.org/content/288/19/13186.full.pdf
zen2010
Family Elder

Post by zen2010 »

NHE wrote:
CureOrBust wrote:I had some sub-lingual dibencozide, I was wondering what the difference was with methylcobalamin. And now I think they are all gone. Doh!
Dibencozide is another name for adenosylcobalamin. Essentially, it's a form of B12 found in the mitochondria which has an adenosine group attached to it instead of a methyl group. The following review paper goes into more detail. http://www.jbc.org/content/288/19/13186.full.pdf

Hi,

Maybe a stupid question:
I 'm having Cyanocobalamin (Vit B12 - 0.010 mg/day). I saw you (Cure & NHE) were speaking about different forms of Vit B12.

Is Cyanocobalamin the correct one to take for MSers?

Thks
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

zen2010 wrote: I 'm having Cyanocobalamin (Vit B12 - 0.010 mg/day). I saw you (Cure & NHE) were speaking about different forms of Vit B12.

Is Cyanocobalamin the correct one to take for MSers?
10 µg of cyanocobalamin is a fairly small amount and is close to (~2x) the RDA for B12. Cyanocobalamin is poorly absorbed by the body, needs to be converted to the active forms and has a low retention rate in the body. Methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin are the two active forms used by the body. Hydroxocobalamin is easily converted to both forms. However, that form is not commonly available as a supplement and is more readily available as an injection. Methylcobalamin is readily available as a supplement as is adenosylcobalamin. I suggest using a sublingual form to bypass any absorption problems that might exist in the digestive tract.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

MStranslate wrote:Additionally, I will be conducting an interview with the Chief Medical Officer involved in this study. If you have any questions that you would like me to ask during the interview, please feel free to submit them below and I'll do my best to ask them.
CureOrBust wrote:The questions I have off the top of my head are:
  • * What type of Biotin are they using? ie out of the 8 different stereo isomers.
    * Have they looked into combining it with other compounds believed to assist the Krebs cycle, which may further the benefits? eg ALCAR, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, lipoic acid, pantothenic acid.. (after a quick google search)
I saw the YouTube clip of the interview (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKg7fpaI08c). Thanks for clearing up definitively what type of Biotin is actually used by MedDay (D-Biotin). I noticed both of my questions made it through to him (thanks to you and probably to others who asked the same thing through other channels), but unfortunately, he missed responding to the second part of your question, and so it remains a question to follow up if you get another chance.