Frustrated

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Bellalisimo
Getting to Know You...

Frustrated

Post by Bellalisimo »

At the onset of MS is it normal to be imobalized from the start, not being able to walk without help or hold onto anything on right hand and also tremors, this all just started close to Easter this year and still no word back from the neuro!
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Frustrated

Post by NHE »

Bellalisimo wrote:At the onset of MS is it normal to be imobalized from the start, not being able to walk without help or hold onto anything on right hand and also tremors, this all just started close to Easter this year and still no word back from the neuro!
Because the central nervous system is so complex, I think everyone's experience getting diagnosed is a little different. For example, I was diagnosed after developing optic neuritis which started up after seeing a chiropractor for a month for numbness and tingling sensations in my leg which turned out to be MS related.
Stillhaha
Family Member

Post by Stillhaha »

PPMS…I had bad tremors & paresthesia at first. Now just sloppy & imprecise. My knowledge of adult diapers is great, I guess. Scared to try cutting my toenails, but almost hopeful.
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

It's unclear to me why you say the neuro is mute. If you are in this condition I would have assumed some response. Has anything been offered to you?

Regards.
Bellalisimo
Getting to Know You...

Post by Bellalisimo »

No nothing yet, the doc doesn't think it's MS now only because my son hasn't had any vision problems, his walking has gotten better but he still is unsteady on his feet
Snoopy
Family Elder

Post by Snoopy »

Bellalisimo wrote:No nothing yet, the doc doesn't think it's MS now only because my son hasn't had any vision problems, his walking has gotten better but he still is unsteady on his feet
In another Thread you said your son's MRIs/testing was normal --- that would be the reason the Neurologist would say he doesn't believe MS is the cause of his symptoms. There is a diagnostic criteria for Multiple Sclerosis, The revised McDonald Criteria. The diagnostic criteria relies heavily on MRI evidence. It is difficult and sometimes impossible to be diagnosed with MS without any signs of the disease.

Signs are things found upon Neurological evaluation and testing. Symptoms are things a person experiences or feels. Symptoms alone is usually not enough to diagnose MS. So a Neurologist that says a person doesn't have MS based on not having vision problems doesn't make sense. There is no symptom/s that are exclusive to MS, many other conditions, medications, vitamin/mineral deficiencies and mental health issues can all cause the same type of symptoms as MS.

If your son has MS it will show on MRI at some point, but the longer a person goes without MRI evidence the less likely the disease becomes.
jerrygallow
Family Elder

Post by jerrygallow »

If it is multiple sclerosis you would expect to find some brain lesions or at least indication on a spinal tap. Perhaps the doctor does not have enough to call that multiple sclerosis yet. That does not mean that your son has something else, but it is possible. Have They looked at Lyme disease, B12 levels, and copper levels
Bellalisimo
Getting to Know You...

Post by Bellalisimo »

Yes, he has been cleared of all that too

Return to “General Discussion”