Anyone tried MitoQ, or done much study on it?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Anyone tried MitoQ, or done much study on it?

Post by Wonderfulworld »

Hi
I've seen some research in PubMed on MitoQ the antioxidant supplement, and it seems to be used for hypertension. Just wondering if:

a) can you take it safely with Tecfidera, or would the two cancel each other out? - I tried ALA/NAC with Tecfidera but got increases in symptoms 10 days in on the 2 occasions I tried both things.

b) does it look like snake-oil or a worthwhile thing?

http://www.mitoq.com/eu/supplements/

Interested to see what others think.....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Concussus Resurgo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RR-MS dx 1998 and Coeliac dx 2003
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tecfidera, Cymbalta, Baclofen.
EPO, Fish Oils, Vitamin D3 2000 IU, Magnesium, Multivitamin/mineral, Co-Enzyme Q10, Probiotics, Milk Thistle, Melatonin.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Anyone tried MitoQ, or done much study on it?

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

I don't take MitoQ but I do take quite large doses of Co-enzyme Q10. MitoQ's designer believe it is more effective than other Q10 products themselves. I don't know if they are right as Q10 is sold in many different products and I don't know what they base the comparison on.
Both should improve the efficacy of the electron transport chain within the mitochondria. They can be both a donor and receiver of electrons hence can act as an antioxidant. Within the mitochondria they assist in the conversion of ADP to ATP. It's just a argument about whether MitoQ is able to do that more effectively than another Q10 product.
I believe you should use these products as the really help with controlling fatigue. The product I use is in an a base of d-alpha tocopherol (vitamin E). I find that combination works. I have a preference to buy from a shop rather than over the internet so I'm not likely to try MitoQ.
It will not interact with Tecfidera. That product is trying to shift your immune response from Th1 to Th2. A completely different path. My personal experience with Tecfidera was very short lived. If you have enough time you can trawl through my posts from September 2014 on and read about how I found it here - http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens- ... 24019.html

I don't think MitoQ is snakeoil at all but there is no one thing that is a magic bullet. I would look at some of the supplements that I have tried that are detailed towards the end of my posts as well. Hopefully they make some sense to you.

Regards,
Wonderfulworld
Family Elder

Re: Anyone tried MitoQ, or done much study on it?

Post by Wonderfulworld »

Many thanks for your detailed reply Scott, I appreciate it a lot.
I will certainly post back here on how I get on if I can order MitoQ to Ireland - I need to check out if it will get past customs. Like you I find Co q10 helps fatigue.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Concussus Resurgo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RR-MS dx 1998 and Coeliac dx 2003
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tecfidera, Cymbalta, Baclofen.
EPO, Fish Oils, Vitamin D3 2000 IU, Magnesium, Multivitamin/mineral, Co-Enzyme Q10, Probiotics, Milk Thistle, Melatonin.