Cognitive / simple thinking issues

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
KevinC

Cognitive / simple thinking issues

Post by KevinC »

My brain function seems to be staying in a complete fog. I have trouble keeping my thoughts straight and getting what thoughts I have to be spoken correctly. Concentration is shot. How do you guys deal with that?
Snoopy
Family Elder

Re: Cognitive / simple thinking issues

Post by Snoopy »

Do you have a diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis?
Have you spoken to your Neurologist?
Have you had NeuroPsych testing?
Are you taking any medications?
Froggie
Family Elder

Post by Froggie »

Hi Kevin-

I suffer from cognitive issues myself. I sound like a total drunkard at times as I tend to slur my speech. I also have the "deer in the headlights" look when someone wants a fast answer. It's even worse when I'm hot. It takes a bit for things to process, though the info is still there.

As far as cognitive issues, a speech therapist can do wonders for cognition and speech. The beauty of therapy is you don't need to suffer from MS to benefit. I have to slow down when speaking and really think about what I am saying. I know that it can be irritating, but quick speech will not happen anymore. A good therapist may also recommend some retrieval exercises that are done mostly at home. They can help immensely with cognitive issues as well. Good luck!
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Are you following a gluten free diet?