Time for a wheelchair. Any suggestions?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
David1949
Family Elder

Time for a wheelchair. Any suggestions?

Post by David1949 »

Its been 20 years since I was dxed. My walking ability has slowly deteriorated to the point where I want to get a wheelchair. I'm still able to hobble around the house with my cane and foot brace. But outside I'm limited to walking short distances maybe 100 feet. So I want a wheelchair that will be manually operated, and light weight. Mostly I will use it for taking walks around the neighborhood or on nearby bike trails. It has to be light enough to lift into the car. As I look at them online I see there are a multitude of features that I know nothing about.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should get?

Thanks for your help.
Quest56
Family Elder

Re: Time for a wheelchair. Any suggestions?

Post by Quest56 »

TiLite Manual wheelchairs, very light weight:

TiLite WheelChair Overview

This is the chair I plan to invest in when the time comes. Light enough to easily pop in and out of the the trunk of your car as needed. I've had two friends who were very happy owners.
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

Thanks for the info.
Quest56
Family Elder

Post by Quest56 »

The Segway products also look very interesting. I am considering getting one of these to use to walk my dog. They also make versions that are suitable for off-road/trail use.

They make a number of different models. I think I'd prefer model 12 SE with handles.

http://www.segway.com/products/consumer ... gway-i2-se

Looks fun!
cervocuit
Family Elder

Post by cervocuit »

Have you considered using a rollator first ? It's a 4 wheels walker with a seat included so you can pause everywhere. It's great way to taking walks safely.
therre is also all-terrains models.
http://www.trionic.us/

segways are definitely not appropriate for someone who need a wheelchair !
not even for "normal" people :lol:
burg
Family Member

Post by burg »

Titanium...very light
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I actually bought a wheelchair, this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Karman-pounds-LT ... ltra+light
At 24 pounds it's pretty light, so its not hard to get in the car.

My plan was to use it on local bike trails so I could "walk" with my wife.
But wheelchairing is harder than I thought. Its all arm strength. Going uphill is tough. And downhill can be more exciting than I like. It gets rolling fast and you have no brakes and no steering. Yikes!!!. You can only slow it down by holding the handwheels which really tears up your hands. I'm going to practice more with it but it's been too darn hot for that lately.

I'll post my updates as they happen.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

David1949 wrote:My plan was to use it on local bike trails so I could "walk" with my wife.
But wheelchairing is harder than I thought. Its all arm strength. Going uphill is tough. And downhill can be more exciting than I like. It gets rolling fast and you have no brakes and no steering. Yikes!!!. You can only slow it down by holding the handwheels which really tears up your hands. I'm going to practice more with it but it's been too darn hot for that lately.
Can you wear leather gloves? When I was 17 and riding a skateboard everywhere I had a heavy pair of heavy suede leather gloves that I wore. They really helped to keep my hands from turning into hamburger.
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

Thanks for the suggestion NHE.