Neuromuscular Stimulation

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Tif
Family Elder

Neuromuscular Stimulation

Post by Tif »

Hello All,

I have started doing neuromuscular stimulation, where they attach electrodes to your body. The machine goes through 3 steps: Circulation, Detox and Muscle Rehab

Has anyone else tried this?

I'm having GREAT results.

My first session I went in for an hour. After, I was so relaxed and energized at the same time, it just felt so good. So from there, I hop into my wheelchair and go home. Prior to the session, when I tried to stand, my knees would collapse together from being so weak. After that one visit, my knees did not collapse, I stood up with knees apart. So I promptly made an appointment for the following day :-D I am still doing it and improving, so I was wondering if anyone else is doing this... I mean, wow, what a difference it makes in a number of ways...

Tif
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Neuromuscular Stimulation

Post by NHE »

Hi Tif,
Thanks for posting. That sounds great! I hope that you continue to see improvements.
Tif
Family Elder

Post by Tif »

Hi NHE,

Another improvement I had, was with the feeling in my toes/feet. My feet have been numb for years, and my toes, IF they did bend it would only be at the upper toe joint (closest to the foot). The rest of the toes stay board straight and/or would not move down at all. I had the electrodes on the bottom and top of my feet for all 3 phases (circulation, detox and muscle rehab). After a couple of sessions I could feel the loops(the inside of the sock) with my toes. I could literally feel the individual loops that made up the sock.... I still have feeling in my feet, I can feel my shoe where I felt nothing before, they have been super numb for years. When I move my toes around I can feel the material of my shoes or socks.....pretty cool, if you ask me:) Another improvement is my toes are bending at 3 places now, instead of being completely stiff and not moving at all. Right now my left side is bending in 3 places and my right side has a couple toes bending in 3 places. But for the years that they have been not working, I find these improvements to be unbelievably great!

I can visually see my muscles are larger and there are muscles coming back that have disappeared from being inactive and in a wheelchair for so long....going to a gym is not an option.

This is not tens unit.

Anyone else try this yet? Why aren't we all doing it, if it works? Does it come down to insurance coverage? Is the 'm.s. world' aware of how much it really helps??

Tif
hmacoli
Getting to Know You...

Post by hmacoli »

Hi Tif:

Yes, I also have started in summer (august) this therapy and the sensations are good (only 2 sessions) . I told to the practioner about my health issues and he regulates the intensety. Except an initial contracture first time that dissapered at the moment when he down back a little the intensity there wasn´t any problems and very good sensations.

I asked about this therapy 5 years ago to a neurologist and he told me that it wasn´t suitable for us but I have always think that it did at less to remain muscle and body structure in the right way, so I have to pay the therapy from my pocket.

I also started gym in june in my MS Assotiation in an interesting aproach with a multidisciplinay team but I didn´t do many different things that I used to to do. Neuromuscular stimulation jacket has the great advantage that can reach to that muscle or groups of muscle that I want to move because they reemain inactive and that it is not easy (or very difficult to do) in a coventional way/gym. I agree with you that is a great discovery.

I mixed the exercise with some supplements like arginine to enhance NO release. It could be the reason why I didn´t have almost any muscleache next days after training where is supossed to appear.

It is part of the 3rd part of my recovery program (remuscle) after recover great part of my posture. I didn´t wanted to try this jacket before until my body were aligned and because I was doing many therapies together and I prefered to close steps. I am finishing the Biomagnetic Pair visits (after a year) and Postural insoles so I thougt it was the moment to get muscle and strenght and I thought neuromuscular stimulation jacket and supplements could help me/us even I still don´t have a lot of experience about results preliminary tests seem to be promising.

Note: I have also noticed more heat in my feet. I thought that it was due to summer but once you have feel the same sensations perhaps it may be also due to Neurostimulationn jacket. I will see next months if these sensations continnue.

Greetings

Hugo
Tif
Family Elder

Post by Tif »

Hello Hugo,

I have continued to do the treatments and I continue to see things improve. It is absolutely building my muscles! I actually have some now:) I asked 'around' why Dr.'s aren't having us all do it, considering how much it improves things. Sounds like there need to be studies done before Drs will or can recommend it..... so I ask, "Why not do a study..." Who would/could do such a study...? We would benefit.

I have them turn it as high as I can take it. I figure I get the most out of it that way... I love doing it! Does yours have 3 stages too? What is the neuromuscular stimulation jacket?

I too have noticed my feet are no longer ice cold, some days they feel warm to the touch.

Tif
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

"Who would/could do such a study?" In my opinion, many could; but too few are!

Rehabilitation with neuromuscular electrical stimulation leads to functional gains in ambulation in patients with secondary progressive primary progressive multiple sclerosis: a case series report. (2010)
TL Wahls, D Reese, D Kaplan, WG Darling
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21138391

Conclusions: NMES [neuromuscular electrical stimulation], an approved Food and Drug Administration treatment modality for muscle spasm, muscle pain, and disuse atrophy – all of which are commonly in patients with gait disability associated with SPMS and PPMS – was associated with measurable gains in ambulatory function. Additional studies are warranted.

A multimodal intervention for patients with secondary progressive multiple sclerosis: feasibility and effect on fatigue. (2014)
B Bisht, WG Darling, RE Grossmann, ET Shivapour, SK Lutgendorf, LG Snetselaar, MJ Hall, MW Zimmerman, TL Wahls
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24476345

Conclusions: In this small, uncontrolled pilot study, there was a significant improvement in fatigue in those who completed the study. Given the small sample size and completer rate, further evaluation of this multimodal therapy is warranted.

Neuromuscular electrical stimulation for skeletal muscle function. (2012)
BM Doucet, A Lam, L Griffin
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22737049

Different methods of applying electrical current to modify neuromuscular activity are electrical stimulation (ES), neuromuscular electrical stimulation (NMES), transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS), and functional electrical stimulation (FES). This review covers the aspects of electrical stimulation used for rehabilitation and functional purposes. Discussed are the various parameters of electrical stimulation, including frequency, pulse width/duration, duty cycle, intensity/amplitude, ramp time, pulse pattern, program duration, program frequency, and muscle group activated, and how they affect fatigue in the stimulated muscle.
Last edited by lyndacarol on Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tif
Family Elder

Post by Tif »

""Who would/could do such a study?" In my opinion, many could; but too few are!"....Something needs to be done about that!! I mean seriously, what kind of contacts need to be had in order for something to be done with this technology...?

The place that I go to (Onyx Body Shaping and Slim Spa) in Arizona uses 'Madame & Monsieur Electro-Slim Technology'. There are places in California, Nevada, Penn, Hawaii, Virginia, Florida, Missouri, Maryland, Montana, Australia, Germany, South Africa and Dubai. I mention the name, since there are various parameters in electrical stimulation, and there may be some additional benefits from their 'settings'.

If we're talking about quality of life and dealing with multiple sclerosis, this neuromuscular electrical stimulation plays a big part in making our lives more livable by giving us strength back.... I'm getting core strength back too....yeah!

Tif
Tif
Family Elder

Post by Tif »

I also have improved vastly in being able to pull my feet back and out, which is one of the things I was trying to do in physical therapy. I can also bend them down so much more now. They place the electrodes so that the appropriate muscles are worked together and it's giving me function back. Now, when the physical therapists asks me to move my feet, they do :-D
hmacoli
Getting to Know You...

Post by hmacoli »

Hi again Tif

I am not sure about the difference between NEMS and TENS because it seems that a NEMS may work with TENS frequencies This is a link of the device that Whals MD
recommend in a scientific paper that linked NEMS and TENS. I have seem that there are some post about thisbrand device in this is MS in 2010.

The jacket I was talking about works with TENS (and other programs like a relaxing program one). In my opinion has the advantage that works with many muscle group together and that you don't have to put each electrode in each muscle every time because the jacket incorporates them together (main muscle groups) and is possible to add more additional electrodes if you want to may an specific muscle to work.

As every therapy it must be guided by a practioner with appropiate training. I think that this jacket may not be suitable for all MS patients depending on the situation and that it would be necessary more experience or and professional advice I may only share my experience and as I told you by the moment it has been positive. I will post more insights or results after some more sessions. In that sense, as I told you I have started with this kind of therapy after a long work of body clean7ng, posture recovering and pathogens deactivation that I describe in my T.R.A.N.QUI.L.N.E.S.S strategy that you can find in this web page. I think as a 3rd phase that I am prepared now to aid to my body to remuscle some muscle groups and that this may be and interesting approach at this moment and not before.

I haven't still see with more detail what does your experience wih NEMS consist on Tif. You have send more details about it I will take a glance. Thank you for sharing.

This a link to tha jacket and the technology https://www.miha-bodytec.com/en/product/

Greetings

Hugo
vesta
Family Elder

Post by vesta »

hmacoli wrote:Hi again Tif

I am not sure about the difference between NEMS and TENS because it seems that a NEMS may work with TENS frequencies This is a link of the device that Whals MD
recommend in a scientific paper that linked NEMS and TENS. I have seem that there are some post about thisbrand device in this is MS in 2010.

The jacket I was talking about works with TENS (and other programs like a relaxing program one). In my opinion has the advantage that works with many muscle group together and that you don't have to put each electrode in each muscle every time because the jacket incorporates them together (main muscle groups) and is possible to add more additional electrodes if you want to may an specific muscle to work.

As every therapy it must be guided by a practioner with appropiate training. I think that this jacket may not be suitable for all MS patients depending on the situation and that it would be necessary more experience or and professional advice I may only share my experience and as I told you by the moment it has been positive. I will post more insights or results after some more sessions. In that sense, as I told you I have started with this kind of therapy after a long work of body clean7ng, posture recovering and pathogens deactivation that I describe in my T.R.A.N.QUI.L.N.E.S.S strategy that you can find in this web page. I think as a 3rd phase that I am prepared now to aid to my body to remuscle some muscle groups and that this may be and interesting approach at this moment and not before.

I haven't still see with more detail what does your experience wih NEMS consist on Tif. You have send more details about it I will take a glance. Thank you for sharing.

This a link to tha jacket and the technology https://www.miha-bodytec.com/en/product/

Greetings

Hugo
Greetings:

How does one find a practitioner with appropriate training for the miha-bodytec device?

I believe Neuro-muscular stimulation boosts fluid circulation through the central nervous system ( the CCSVI aspect of Terry Wahls self treatment) ) as well as developing muscles and activating the nervous system. This particular body jacket may well have the same effect on me as swimming, total body stimulation.

This looks very interesting, thanks for posting this

Best regards, Vesta
hmacoli
Getting to Know You...

Post by hmacoli »

Hi Vesta

In relation with the question you mention, In my opinion that is one of the main problems: patients many times go ahead official medicine, trying to find solutions to our problems. Hence this great web page and others. With respect to this device, It remains to me unknown their results even as I posted I have had good sensations even I would not recommend it with high spasticity degree, and I think it would be of interest to be tested in a scientific way.

I have also seen Tif's link to electro Slim technology video and it looks very interesting because as you said incorporates the 3 programs detox, cleaning and electromuscular program, but I can't see the difference because it seems it also work with electrodes that work at different frequencies.

I will tell you my improvments if any.

Greetings

Hugo
Tif
Family Elder

Post by Tif »

Hi Everyone,

The jacket looked interesting, but I do like the ability to put the electrodes where I want and focus on certain areas. I, also, can do exercises with the electrodes hooked up. To do extra work for my muscles, I'll stand there with the electrodes hooked up to my feet, legs, back and stomach. I was trying to work on strength, core and balance. So I would shift my weight from side to side, front to back, do mini squats and just stand there without falling over is always impressive... then when I need to, I lay down and finish the treatment. When laying down, I can also contract my muscles with electrodes and work them even more. But I do NOT have to 'work out' or contract my muscles on my own. I can just lie there, relax and let the machine build my muscles, go through detox and circulation.

Hugo, How are your sessions going?

tif
Last edited by Tif on Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
vesta
Family Elder

Post by vesta »

Hello tif:

I was Under the impression you worked Under a therapist at a center and not alone, but from the above it sounds like you work on your own. How many électrodes at a time?

Thanks, Vesta
Tif
Family Elder

Post by Tif »

Hi Vesta,

You were correct, I do it at a business in Scottsdale, AZ. They ask what I would like to focus on and do the pad placements from there. They turn the machine on and turn it up to where I want, they check back to see if it needs to be turned up or down. I can lay there and let the machine do it all or I can do exercises, even if it's just contracting muscles with it while laying down. Saturday I stood for 40 min's of it and laid down the remaining 20 min. I think it's 12 pads.

Tif
hmacoli
Getting to Know You...

Post by hmacoli »

Hi again Tif/all

I was going to send a post after the 5 th session. Today I have had the 4th and the sensations are good. The jacket also has detox and circulation program. It has a lot of possibilities, so it has to be carefully adapted to everyone. In my humble opinion the system that you described before could be more appropiate for people with higher dissability degree and to start step by step in this kind of therapy. I think that the jacket is more suitable for people with a lesser dissabilty degree, because even it is not strictly neccesary, movement is advisible. In fact you stay stand up while the system works over a great degree of muscles ( and here may be the risk for people with low muscle activity because it could lead to muscle destruction and kidneydamage in extreme cases). So as I have told you it may be a great device but it needs to be adapted to our condition and guided by a practioner with experience.

I will tell you more insights.

Greetings

Hugo