Have you tried QUELL for nerve pain?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Have you tried QUELL for nerve pain?

Post by ElliotB »

I just picked one of these units up to try out - it comes with a 60 day full refund (less return shipping) trial period. It is available either direct or through Target or CVS (which saves on shipping charges if you buy locally).

My first impressions... it is very comfortable to wear and I am quite hopeful it will help me. The manufacturer told me that they have not had good success with MS nerve pain but recommenced I try it anyway because there is a chance it could help me and since it comes with a 60 day return/refund period (less shipping) it is certainly worth a try. They say it could take up to 3 weeks to see any relief although some have had immediate relief.

And to be clear, this is NOT a MS cure, but is designed to help with certain types of chronic pain, and to repeat, told me that they have not had good success with MS nerve pain.

I will report back after I have worn it for a while. Just wondering if anyone has tried it and what experience you had...
ThisIsMA
Family Elder

Re: Have you tried QUELL for nerve pain?

Post by ThisIsMA »

Hi Elliot8,

Did Quell help you? Please post an update, thanks!

I've read that people with MS have low endorphins. Quell it's supposed to increase endorphins. Apparently endorphins are anti-inflammatory. So I am curious about whether Quell might help in general with MS: perhaps slow progression or help with fatigue and depression. I'm just guessing.
I'm not a medical professional, I'm just a person with MS reading the Internet.

Everyone should seek their own healthcare professional advisors.
DX 6-09 RRMS, now SPMS
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

not to date.

so far my chronic pain issues specifically have all resolved as a result of manhandling and training by a PT pro.

had some work done to free up movement of vertebra in spine and some exercises which addressed chronic neck pain. later, PT to reposition an out of whack SI joint resolved chronic hip pain. pretty awesome.

acute pain like headaches, cramping or similar, that's magnesium's department. or sometimes just water.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Thanks for asking, unfortunately it did not help me and I returned it. But everyone's pain is different so it is worth at least trying.
ThisIsMA
Family Elder

Post by ThisIsMA »

Actually in my case I was thinking of trying "Quell" for something else besides pain.

I read an amazing chapter in a book by Norman Doidge called "The Brain's Way of Healing Itself". Here's a link to that book. Its probably also available through libraries:

https://www.amazon.com/Brains-Way-Heali ... 014312837X

The chapter was about an experimental device that provides electrical stimulation to the surface of the tongue which they say is a gateway to the brain. The researchers found that if their subjects with MS used this device for 20 minute sessions while doing physical exercises appropriate to their disability, or mental exercise brain games to strengthen memory and other cognitive deficits, the people experienced remarkable improvements.

It sounds too good to be true but the book explains why it should theoretically work and then describes the results for a person with MS who experienced great improvements after decades of disability.

The research lab that created the device was based at the University of Wisconsin. They have since closed that lab and opened a for-profit company that plans to bring the device to market and is seeking FDA approval in 2018.

I'm excited about this but impatient! So I was wondering if the Quell decide which is like a wearable, more powerful TENS unit, might be able to accomplish the same thing by wearing the device as indicated by the manufacturer (on the calve below the knee), while doing brain games and/or exercises appropriate to my disabilities.

The Quell device is supposed to electrically stimulate the brain by means of nerves in the calf (a few inches below the knee). The makers stated purpose is to ease pain by stimulating the production of endogenous opioids in the brain. So it appears that wearing the Quell device on one's calf should stimulate the brain.

The Quell device is adjustable and the manufacture says that the tingling sensation that the Quell device produces should feel "strong but comfortable". Whether Quell could have the same or a similar effect as the tongue device on reducing disability symptoms, I don't know.

I'm not a medical professional, just a person with MS grasping at straws for anything that might help. I recommend that you consult with your professional medical provider before considering trying this.

Here's a link to an article about the benefits to people with MS of the tongue device, which is called the PoNs Device. It is still in testing and is not yet available for purchase:

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.com/ ... lot-study/

Here's a link to an article about the Quell device, which is intended for pain relief, already has FDA approval for that purpose, and is available for purchase for $250 plus $30 per month for specialized electrodes. That's expensive but it includes a 60 day return guarantee (try it and return it if you don't like it prior to the end of the 60 days).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sethporges ... c74ef04eda

Quell can be purchased through Amazon or many local stores.

I'm not affiliated with either company mentioned in this post (or any company for that matter)!

Please be careful, I am not advising that anyone try this. I'm just interested in a discussion about whether or not it might theoretically work.

I may also try experimenting with this on myself, knowing that it could be harmful or helpful or might have no effect. If I find the time and energy to try this, I'll report back on the results of my one person experiment.

M.A.
DX 6-09 RRMS, now SPMS
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

This device is specifically designed for pain and insomnia reduction using transcranial electrostimulation:

https://www.fisherwallace.com/?gclid=Cj ... ufEALw_wcB

There are other similar devices such as this one, the NeuroStar TMS Therapy® device:

https://neurostar.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA1a ... R_EALw_wcB