Half of people with MS ‘accused of being drunk’

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
MSUK
Family Elder

Half of people with MS ‘accused of being drunk’

Post by MSUK »

Almost half of people with multiple sclerosis have experienced mistreatment or stigma as a result of their symptoms, a survey has revealed...Read more - http://www.ms-uk.org/half-people-ms-%E2 ... %99-060916
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
Cammie
Family Member

Re: Half of people with MS ‘accused of being drunk’

Post by Cammie »

When I went to the ER with severe pain, spasms and lack of mobility, I was treated quite abusively. They said there was nothing wrong and that I was faking it. They screamed at me to get up and walk! I didn't have a diagnosis and was scared to death at what was happening to my body. They demoralized me for not having been able to get into a shower. Then they parked a commode at the opposite side of the room and told me I had to walk to it without any help. I couldn't do it, so I ended up holding the urine.
LizardKing
Family Member

Post by LizardKing »

Cammie wrote:When I went to the ER with severe pain, spasms and lack of mobility, I was treated quite abusively. They said there was nothing wrong and that I was faking it. They screamed at me to get up and walk! I didn't have a diagnosis and was scared to death at what was happening to my body. They demoralized me for not having been able to get into a shower. Then they parked a commode at the opposite side of the room and told me I had to walk to it without any help. I couldn't do it, so I ended up holding the urine.
I'll add this one to my list of "Abusive ER Room Visit Stories".
I've heard a LOT.
Most people won't cuss out a doctor but I got over that when dealing with cancer.
In spite of what the media and politicians say I don't think you can actually sue a doctor and win.

IMHO they do treat women quite abusively at times and that bothers me a LOT....
Shadrac

Post by Shadrac »

Cammie wrote:When I went to the ER with severe pain, spasms and lack of mobility, I was treated quite abusively. They said there was nothing wrong and that I was faking it. They screamed at me to get up and walk! I didn't have a diagnosis and was scared to death at what was happening to my body. They demoralized me for not having been able to get into a shower. Then they parked a commode at the opposite side of the room and told me I had to walk to it without any help. I couldn't do it, so I ended up holding the urine.
I have similar experience with doctors. I needed some tests with my eyes and they told me i am not on list so i need to go to my doctor for some recommendation. I was so angry there! They lost recommendation and doctor said something like "if he force us for that tests, take him inside". I explode and start yelling at nurse and doctors. Then i left room and after that they call on my phone with sorry and if i can go back.
You NEVER cant accept this kind of treatment.
Everytime i heard some kind of this story i am really sad about that. Hold on friend. You are not alone :)
I know my story is not so rough so i cant really imagine how scared and sad you was.

Oh and sorry for english
Sorry for english!