Suicide

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Suicide

Post by jimmylegs »

started this set of links for a different venue but selected items apply here to some extent

Depression, suicide and deficiencies of omega-3 essential fatty acids in modern diets.
free full text: http://bit.ly/2kCzmQd

Low HDL cholesterol is associated with suicide attempt among young healthy women: the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 270500248X

Family Food Insufficiency, but Not Low Family Income, Is Positively Associated with Dysthymia and Suicide Symptoms in Adolescents
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/132/4/719.short

and for the MS angle:

Higher intake of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids is associated with a decreased risk of a first clinical diagnosis of central nervous system demyelination: Results from the Ausimmune Study
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10. ... 8515604380
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
seanlanefuller
Getting to Know You...

Post by seanlanefuller »

I'm scared to go to bed at night. I don't know if I can take another night of it. You can think all kinds of crazy stuff laying there in pain at night. I'm not going to risk a botched attempt to end it. That would be even worse.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

The 1st link (jimmylegs' post directly above) does not appear to be working...
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

ElliotB wrote:The 1st link (jimmylegs' post directly above) does not appear to be working...
It's a link to a full text version which requires a subscription.

Here's a link to the abstract.

https://www.karger.com/Article/ShowPic/ ... 2992-1.jpg
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

free full text link above ^^^^
the solution here was search via google scholar, then click below to result open up all available versions, and then see if a pdf link makes itself known.
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

it's got be a sure thing, you've got to have an out it's the only way to have any control of ms and how much it takes from you.
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

funny to look back
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

http://www.dyingwithdignity.ca/linda_ja ... AhQD8P8HAQ

the way it should be

"I would just put it in terms of respect for other people's feelings. I respect the people who do not believe in this cause and they’re fine to have their beliefs and stand by their beliefs, but I would like the same respect shown to me for my beliefs. I don’t have a fight with those who feel differently than I do. I just want them to deal with their lives in the ways they so wish, and let me deal with my life in the way that I so wish.”

For the immediate future, Linda plans to keep exploring the choices that lie before her, while continuing to lead a life as full as she can make it. "Those are my feelings at the moment and I am still working through the hows and the whys. I will pursue my options over the next couple of years so that all of my loved ones know and are in agreement with my wishes."
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
msinsacramento
Getting to Know You...

Post by msinsacramento »

Thank you Robbie,

Death with dignity should be a legal right. We should not have to live like this. There is no cure.
robslatt4567

Post by robslatt4567 »

Suicide was on my mind in 2015 and 2016. Today I'm in a good place mentally and I'm really greatfull for that.
When I finally got my dx I got on the road to recovery even though there has been neurological damage and I am fairly
Disabled. Life is still worth living.

Today I took some old tires to get properly recycled. I got some enjoyment from going through the hassle of getting them recycled properly. It cleaned my place up and now it looks better that the junky old tires are
Out of the way.

Cheers & Best
I really need to create a second reality
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

I don't mean for this to add confusion to your life, but this is a dilemma I face with regard to suicide. I tend to be libertarian in my political views so I think people should be free to make their own decisions about their own lives (or deaths) without interference from government. But I'm also a Christian and suicide is a sin. I'd hate to think that the last thing I did in life is the one thing that would condemn me to hell. So from my perspective hospice could be a better approach since the objective is to end the pain not your life.

If you're not religious then I guess you don't have to worry about that.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

this is splitting hairs but i think there are quite a few ppl out there who would identify as religious and yet an afterlife concept would not necessarily be a factor.
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

Jimmylegs I guess you're right, so let me modify my last sentence;

If you don't believe there is a Hell then you don't have to worry about that. Does that fix it? :smile:
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

religion and faith is so different to so many people, some consider religion to be the cause of the many problems in the world today. If asking for a humanity in a situation like this is a sin then I guess I'm going to hell whatever that is...
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hell is so different to so many people...

Return to “General Discussion”