How do you handle MS and a stressful job?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
SystemError

How do you handle MS and a stressful job?

Post by SystemError »

So I was diagnosed about 6 months ago, pretty much after the very first symptoms displayed. (I got a numb hand and was convinced it was MS enough to demand an MRI, and turned out I was right). I have been on Tecfidera since then, and haven't had any further relapses that I can definitely identify. But as such a new diagnosis I am still very stressed about it, worried about what it could all mean for me, and what my future holds.

As luck would have it, about a week after the diagnosis I started a new job, which has turned out to be an extremely stressful, high pressure role. Even though I don't have any real symptoms or disabilities, the stress of the MS diagnosis and uncertainty about my future combined with the mental stress of the job have made life a bit difficult over the last six months.

I would like to know if any people here have stressful or difficult jobs and how you manage to cope with it all. How badly does stress affect MS? I have my first post-diagnosis MRI in two weeks and I am very worried about what it might show. I'm not sure how to balance everything, whether I should quit my job, or what to do. Any advice appreciated.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: How do you handle MS and a stressful job?

Post by jimmylegs »

hi :)
when i was originally diagnosed, it all happened in a pretty clear (to me at least) malnutrition setting. since then i've made healthy food my first priority. my general stress levels have plummeted since i started to pay real attention.
my personal strategy, even working day and night, even if out and on the go as many as 7 days and two nights in a week, is to prep LOTS of healthy homemade food and parcel out leftovers into the fridge and freezer. even working at home as i have been lately, i've been prepping things that last days, then just quickly heating up portions as i need them and going straight back to my work. i just spent four days making my way through a 6-serving spinakopita full of stress-reducing mineral-rich greens. since it's cold out now, soups and chili have gotten on the roster and those get thrown together quickly each week. each morning last week i was quickly heating servings of previously cooked steel cut oats and previously thawed mixed berries for breakfast.
where i completely drop the ball, is on the exercise front. i've been so used to having physical jobs as part of the picture over the years, that it really goes against the grain to exercise for 'no reason' lol. but it's awesome for stress relief as well and i need to do a better job.. as soon as i'm done this ONE LAST THING lol
some general nutrition for stress resources:
http://www.nutritionist-resource.org.uk ... tress.html
http://www.skillsyouneed.com/ps/stress- ... -diet.html
key stress management nutrients mentioned at both of those links are very relevant for ms patients as well. hope that helps
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Like many with MS, I strongly believe that stress and MS do not go together well - I have eliminated stress from my life and have learned to avoid stressful situations and feel this is an extremely important part of my battle with my MS.

You may find this article of interest:

http://www.webmd.com/multiple-sclerosis ... bad-for-ms
msinsacramento
Getting to Know You...

Post by msinsacramento »

Stress is very difficult for me to handle. My MS symptoms get real bad. I would suggest that you have your DR write you a letter to confirm you have MS and stress makes MS worse and you should look for ways to reduce stress in ways that are possible. Google the word (JAN) which is Job Accommodation Network. Read up on ADA and let your employer know you have MS. Look at your last social security statement to see how much you would receive from disability. It is important that your employer know you have MS. I completely can not handle stress on the job. Its at the point now for me I refuse to quiet my job but I am going to make it clear to everyone I am aware of ADA. I unfortunately have nothing to lose I don't feel like doing anything however I like my job when I have no stress. I refuse to deal with anything stress full and will past that off to others however. I work my but off work over time all the time my boss keeps telling me to not work over time I am not allowed. However I am at the point that I am going to work over time and tell my boss that I require numerous breaks thought the day to deal with the MS and in turn I work early, late weekends and I am doing this to put in my 40 hours so I tell them I am not working overtime but working my 40 hours due to my numerous breaks I require. I require a flexible work schedule. ADA requires your employer to provide reasonable accommodations. However what is reasonable that is debatable. I am at the point I refuse to quite my job they will have to fire me if they are fed up with me. I want to try and allays be caught up with my JOB in allays being caught up this reduces stress for me I don't mind work but can't handle the stress. I work at a desk job. I try to never be in a hurry and always working a flexible work scheduled regardless if my employer lets me. I am sure I will get fired working on my time off however I refuse to quite. I make sure that are aware that I know about ADA and (JAN). I am protected under ADA and in the end I am sure I will get fired but at that point F_ _ _ K them all I am not lazy I want nothing for free I will be suing them if they fire me, I earn my keep I just expect not to put up with stress. I know I will end up on disability but I will not quite my job they know it and they know about ADA an (JAN). I am not suggesting to do what I am doing but I don't care anymore. At the very least maybe get a letter from you DR to confirm you have MS and give that to your employer so they at least know you have a disability. Don't know if they will help just a thought.
Idrankwhat

Post by Idrankwhat »

Well, I didn't. I just collapsed under the weight of the job and could not keep up with my responsibilities. I was fired for my performance. I suppose I should've sued the company since my MS was not a secret. Be careful and don't let yourself become overwhelmed. Some people can handle stressful jobs. I very unfortunately can't.

Return to “General Discussion”