aubagio and numb and tingly fingers

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
trex1
Getting to Know You...

aubagio and numb and tingly fingers

Post by trex1 »

Hello, I am new to this site, but was hoping to get some info regarding aubagio and numb and tingling fingers as a side affect. I went on aubagio 3 months ago and about 4 weeks ago the tips of my fingers went numb and tingly and now its my whole hand. Just wondering if anyone else has had this side effect and if so what was done for you and how long did it last. Any info would be greatly appreciated as I work with my hands and cant hold onto a hammer. Also, I had no ms symptoms before going on this medication, so don't think it is related to my ms. Thanks for your time and have a good day
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: aubagio and numb and tingly fingers

Post by NHE »

trex1 wrote:Hello, I am new to this site, but was hoping to get some info regarding aubagio and numb and tingling fingers as a side affect. I went on aubagio 3 months ago and about 4 weeks ago the tips of my fingers went numb and tingly and now its my whole hand. Just wondering if anyone else has had this side effect and if so what was done for you and how long did it last. Any info would be greatly appreciated as I work with my hands and cant hold onto a hammer. Also, I had no ms symptoms before going on this medication, so don't think it is related to my ms. Thanks for your time and have a good day
Have you discussed these new symptoms with your neurologist? If not, then you might wish to do so ASAP.

You may also want to take a look at the Aubagio prescribing information. http://products.sanofi.us/aubagio/aubagio.pdf
trex1
Getting to Know You...

Post by trex1 »

Thanks for your reply, I have been in contact with my neurologist and he said to monitor it, if gets worse or moves to other side contact him again, just wanted to see if anyone else has had similar issues and what they did for it. Also great link, thanks for sharing!
thanks again
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

trex1 wrote:Thanks for your reply, I have been in contact with my neurologist and he said to monitor it, if gets worse or moves to other side contact him again, just wanted to see if anyone else has had similar issues and what they did for it.
Hi Trex1,
There's a separate treatment forum for Aubagio. Here's a link in case you haven't found it yet.

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/aubagio-t ... omide-f53/
trex1
Getting to Know You...

Post by trex1 »

oh, didn't know that, thanks will look into it!
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

trex1 wrote:...about 4 weeks ago the tips of my fingers went numb and tingly and now its my whole hand. Also, I had no ms symptoms before going on this medication, so don't think it is related to my ms.
Numb thumb was the first symptom of MS for me. So it's possible that it is just an MS symptom and nothing to do with the drug.

How long have you had MS? How was it diagnosed? How old were you when it was DXed. If you have no symptoms why did the doctor suspect MS? Do you have relapses and remissions?
euphoniaa
Volunteer Moderator

Post by euphoniaa »

trex1 wrote:Hello, I am new to this site, but was hoping to get some info regarding aubagio and numb and tingling fingers as a side affect. I went on aubagio 3 months ago and about 4 weeks ago the tips of my fingers went numb and tingly and now its my whole hand. Just wondering if anyone else has had this side effect and if so what was done for you and how long did it last. Any info would be greatly appreciated as I work with my hands and cant hold onto a hammer. Also, I had no ms symptoms before going on this medication, so don't think it is related to my ms. Thanks for your time and have a good day
Hello trex, and welcome! I'm sorry you're experiencing these symptoms, but according to the Official Prescribing Information that NHE posted, "numb and tingling fingers" and peripheral neuropathy are side effects of aubagio, and they recommend discontinuing the drug and performing an "accelerated elimination procedure" if they occur.

Here's a quote from the aubagio information:
5.6 Peripheral Neuropathy
In placebo-controlled studies, peripheral neuropathy, including both polyneuropathy and mononeuropathy
(e.g., carpal tunnel syndrome), occurred more frequently in patients taking AUBAGIO than in
patients taking placebo. The incidence of peripheral neuropathy confirmed by nerve conduction studies
was 1.4% (13 patients) and 1.9% (17 patients) of patients receiving 7 mg and 14 mg of AUBAGIO,
respectively, compared with 0.4% receiving placebo (4 patients). Treatment was discontinued in 0.7%
(8 patients) with confirmed peripheral neuropathy (3 patients receiving AUBAGIO 7 mg and 5 patients
receiving AUBAGIO 14 mg). Five of them recovered following treatment discontinuation. Not all cases
of peripheral neuropathy resolved with continued treatment. Peripheral neuropathy also occurred in
patients receiving leflunomide.

Age older than 60 years, concomitant neurotoxic medications, and diabetes may increase the risk for
peripheral neuropathy. If a patient taking AUBAGIO develops symptoms consistent with peripheral
neuropathy, such as bilateral numbness or tingling of hands or feet, consider discontinuing AUBAGIO
therapy and performing an accelerated elimination procedure [see Warnings and Precautions (5.3)].[/

And here is the Accelerated Elimination Procedure:
5.3 Procedure for Accelerated Elimination of Teriflunomide
Teriflunomide is eliminated slowly from the plasma [see Clinical Pharmacology (12.3)]. Without an
accelerated elimination procedure, it takes on average 8 months to reach plasma concentrations less
than 0.02 mg/L, although because of individual variations in drug clearance it may take as long as 2
years. An accelerated elimination procedure could be used at any time after discontinuation of
AUBAGIO. Elimination can be accelerated by either of the following procedures:
• Administration of cholestyramine 8 g every 8 hours for 11 days. If cholestyramine 8 g three times
a day is not well tolerated, cholestyramine 4 g three times a day can be used.
• Administration of 50 g oral activated charcoal powder every 12 hours for 11 days.
If either elimination procedure is poorly tolerated, treatment days do not need to be consecutive unless
there is a need to lower teriflunomide plasma concentration rapidly.
At the end of 11 days, both regimens successfully accelerated teriflunomide elimination, leading to more
than 98% decrease in teriflunomide plasma concentrations.
Use of the accelerated elimination procedure may potentially result in return of disease activity if the
patient had been responding to AUBAGIO treatment.
If the symptoms are so severe you can no longer grasp items that are important to your work, that should definitely be discussed with your doctor. Best of luck to you!
Dx'd with MS & HNPP (hereditary peripheral neuropathy) 7/03 but must have had MS for 30 yrs before that. I've never taken meds for MS except 1 yr experiment on LDN. (I found diet, exercise, sleep, humor, music help me the most.)
trex1
Getting to Know You...

Post by trex1 »

David1949 I was diagnosed 5 months ago, was diagnosed by monitoring mri lesions and spinal tap confirmed ms, was 23 years old. I have other inflammatory/autoimmune issues large intestines were removed last august due to colitis and I have ancylosing spondylitis in my back, brain lesions were found when my eye dr saw something that prompted him to request an mri which showed several lesions that were monitored for a year. There were no neurological symptoms so dr was hoping it was due to inflammation from other issues, did a spinal tap to rule out ms and was told after it that I had ms rated 0-1, so no I guess I don't have relapses or remissions. I asked why if I had no symptoms I should go on meds and he said to prevent any symptoms from happening??? and here I am!
trex1
Getting to Know You...

Post by trex1 »

euphoniaa thank you for your reply, we were away on vacation and just got back yesterday. I have been trying to contact my dr, but think they are closed for stat holiday today. I have left a message and hope to hear back from him tomorrow. I contacted him 2 weeks ago when I noticed it wasn't going away and he said to monitor it, if it spreads to other side of body, or there is weakness to come in for follow up, so I waited and it has only been getting worse. Wanted to see what others thought before I go in. Thanks again
centenarian100
Family Elder

Post by centenarian100 »

I agree with euphoniaa's post. This is probably aubagio induced peripheral neuropathy, a well known side effect.
trex1
Getting to Know You...

Post by trex1 »

UPDATE: Thank you to everyone for their advice and help, I appreciate it. I went to the emergency room with symptoms as well as saw my family doctor and neurologist and all 3 said it was an ms attack. Going for MRI tomorrow to see what shows, and depending on what my lesions look like, have to decide if the medication (aubagio) is working or if I should try a new medication.
trex1
Getting to Know You...

Post by trex1 »

UPDATE! MRI showed improvements . . . so how could the numbness have been a ms attack . . . very confused!

Return to “General Discussion”