Symptoms

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Tisgirly

Symptoms

Post by Tisgirly »

Hi I am 34 year old female my dad has ms in the few months i have been having pins and needles down one arm and leg with a heavy numb feeling especially when i am working as a nurse i get extremely tired and never feel rested my doctor has been treating me for a trapped nerve due to shoulder pain however the symptoms are no better increasing if anything i am due back to doctor tomorrow am wondering if i should be pushing the ms link? Any replies would be great i also find my mind is foggy and slight blurrying in one eye when tired .
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Symptoms

Post by NHE »

Tisgirly wrote:Hi I am 34 year old female my dad has ms in the few months i have been having pins and needles down one arm and leg with a heavy numb feeling especially when i am working as a nurse i get extremely tired and never feel rested my doctor has been treating me for a trapped nerve due to shoulder pain however the symptoms are no better increasing if anything i am due back to doctor tomorrow am wondering if i should be pushing the ms link? Any replies would be great i also find my mind is foggy and slight blurrying in one eye when tired .
Before searching for an MS diagnosis, which is akin to the proverbial zebra upon hearing hoof beats, I would recommend considering other potential diagnoses which also produce neuropathies such as a vitamin B12 deficiency and others.
Tisgirly

Post by Tisgirly »

Thanks for reply, obviously the intention is to rule out other causes first my gp has said if it still persists he will be refering me for mri to rule out a number of things i.e disc problems etc, have been tested for diabetes and thats not the issue, awaiting blood results also thanks for your reply ..
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

it's a good idea to exclude suboptimal nutrient status across the board. make sure levels are not in the low normal range similar to ms patients, but the high normal range similar to healthy controls. and that certain nutrient ratios are in line, vs individual levels alone. vit d3 status is a particular risk factor for nurses if memory serves...

Environmental Risk Factors for Multiple Sclerosis. Part II: Noninfectious Factors
http://bit.ly/2sFSYG8
"The only published longitudinal studies on diet and MS risk are those based on two large cohorts of US nurses.29 Assessment of vitamin D intake among women in these cohorts was based on comprehensive and previously validated semiquantitative food frequency questionnaires administered every 4 years during the follow-up.30,31 The information on current use, brand, and dosage of multivitamin supplements was collected on each biennial questionnaire. The validity of vitamin D intake was assessed by comparison with the plasma concentrations of 25(OH)D among 323 healthy study participants.32 For plasma collected in winter, which is more likely to reflect dietary intake, the mean 25(OH)D was 39.8nmol/L among women in the bottom quintile of vitamin D intake and 69.8nmol/L among women in the top quintile."

compare serum levels associated with least risk of ms in this cohort:

Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Levels and Risk of Multiple Sclerosis
http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/204651
Prospective, nested case-control study among more than 7 million US military personnel who have serum samples stored in the Department of Defense Serum Repository. Multiple sclerosis cases were identified through Army and Navy physical disability databases for 1992 through 2004, and diagnoses were confirmed by medical record review. Each case (n = 257) was matched to 2 controls by age, sex, race/ethnicity, and dates of blood collection. Vitamin D status was estimated by averaging 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels of 2 or more serum samples collected before the date of initial multiple sclerosis symptoms.
Only the OR for the highest quintile, corresponding to 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels higher than 99.1 nmol/L, was significantly different from 1.00 (OR, 0.38; 95% confidence interval, 0.19-0.75; P = .006). The inverse relation with multiple sclerosis risk was particularly strong for 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels measured before age 20 years. Among blacks and Hispanics (109 cases, 218 controls), who had lower 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels than whites, no significant associations between vitamin D and multiple sclerosis risk were found."

so personally, i like to aim for 125-150 nmol/L, but if i was starting out in the 40 to 70 nmol/L range i'd be making sure i had all my d3 cofactors in good shape as well. aim for 100 nmol/l while ensuring other levels are good. then i'd consider it safe to go higher. i've paid the price for pushing vit d3 levels up *without* adequate attention to cofactor status, and it wasn't fun. at all. so that's my 2c for the time being!
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.